Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just get the K5, with that 2.8 lens, you should be good to go. Also, plenty room for cropping if needed.

10-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also suggest the K5 if you can. I do fine with my K20 in daylight...

but night is a challenge because I'm limited by the K20 sensitivity capabilities...

Of course, I'm not complaining. There was a day when ISO400 was stretching it. But one of these days I will go for the K5 (or better).
10-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I guess that the K-5 would be your best choice.
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

hows the weather? i know that when i played it was always cold and rainy. a weather sealed camera might be good.

11-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Not too long ago, people took sports photos without autofoucs.
Today everybody assumes that AF is required to take sports photos. Try AF and MF with your camera/lens.
You asked about the best camera, people ask for light conditions, nobody asked about AF...
Try MF and it will not hurt, compare to AF to understand the difference in shooting philosophy.
11-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Lot's of good info here Hambone, I will point out that you said a budget of $1000. you will be able to get into a K5 for that. I imagine Black Friday pricing is going to hit 899 in the US as in Canada we are already seeing prices under $1000. It's rare for us to lead the market on price so i would guess the US price will drop shortly
11-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Not too long ago, people took sports photos without autofocus.
Today everybody assumes that AF is required to take sports photos. Try AF and MF with your camera/lens.
You asked about the best camera, people ask for light conditions, nobody asked about AF...
Try MF and it will not hurt, compare to AF to understand the difference in shooting philosophy.
When I shot sports it was with a spotmatic with a 135 and 200 (and not fast really 3.5 and 4.0 respectively) and occasionally using a 1.4x TC slowing down the lens even more. I usually pushed the trix to 800 in daylight and 1600 at the hockey rink. all manual. it is quite possible to get good shots even this way.
But if i was doing it now I'd want to shoot with a 2.8 70-200 and a k5 if i had the funds. it frees you up to try for any shot. the main thing shooting sports is knowing the game well enough to predict play and it will make getting the shot much easier.

11-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I've decided on the K-5

I was thinking about getting a new camera then last weekend, the mirror stuck in the up position. It has done that before and in the past, I've taken the battery out of it and it has resolved itself. This time, it didn't. Can anybody recomend a repair facility?

In the daylight, I get wonderful pictures.

My K10D struggles at night.

I prefer to be near the goal when I'm trying to get images of our players on offense.

If I'm trying to get defensive shots, I'll stand nearer the middle of the field.
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
hows the weather? i know that when i played it was always cold and rainy. a weather sealed camera might be good.
I live in Louisiana. We are one of 5 states (I'm told) that chooses to play soccer Nov. thru March. We have our first official practice this afternoon.

Luckily we don't have that much cold weather but there will be a couple of games where it's near freezing. I've been other places when it's cold, like Colorado, Utah, etc and I'm telling you... if you've got a sweater on and a light jacket, you're OK. Here in Louisiana, if it's 32 and you're wearing a sweater and light jacket, you'll freeze your cajones off. It must have something to do with the humidity!
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #25
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hambone Quote
I prefer to be near the goal when I'm trying to get images of our players on offense.

If I'm trying to get defensive shots, I'll stand nearer the middle of the field.
So you like to take pictures of the other team scoring
11-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The highest speed my K10

will go up to is like 1600.

The K-5 goes up to like 51,000.
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, if my team is on offense

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So you like to take pictures of the other team scoring
If I'm standing at midfield, I get an images of our players backs. It's much more interesting if I get a picture of their front! From near the goal, I can get a picture of them coming towards me... with the ball.

When I'm taking pictures of our defenders, I hang out near midfield, that way I can get an image of their front as they are guarding the other teams players.

To get great pictures of the goalie, I go out on the field when they are warming up the goalie.