Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. While I am not a complete greenhorn I don't have the experience of many of you. The D90 is probably the body I should stretch for if in fact I decide to switch. And while I don't know much... I can say that my sisters off the shelf at walmart D40 w kit lens is fast, quiet and accurate.

Thanks again.

10-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #17

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I didn't have time to read all the previous posts. I went through the same frustrations with Nikon's less than perfect AF, so I just learned how to focus manually. But the problem is most DSLRs have such a tiny viewfinder and no split circle screen, so it's difficult. My Nikon D300 has a dot that comes on when MF is confirmed, but it's not accurate. I'm thinking of getting a Katz Eye split circle screen and saying goodbye and good riddance to AF forever.
10-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
I'm thinking of getting a Katz Eye split circle screen and saying goodbye and good riddance to AF forever.
I don't know as I'd say "goodbye" to AF, but a split screen (Especially an Opti-brite treated KatzEye) will make it a lot faster & easier to focus when AF isn't cutting it. I use mostly MF lenses & I sure wouldn't be without my split screens.

Cheers, Bobbo :-)
10-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
I started my digital experience with a K100d and took many great shots. Must admit, the focus noise was tinny and drove me nuts.. (especially when in a room with relatives using Canon and Nikon) Focus was not a problem, but my kit 17-55 always felt loose. I moved up to my K7 2 years ago and kept the Pentax glass I had. The noise became beautiful, but the lens still feels loose.. I use Centre point focus or M and am generally happy with the results. I wouldn't dump the 100D just yet. Get a used Tamron or Sigma lens and try it out.
When the shots are great, the noise isn't so loud!!

11-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the sigma 17-70 and admit it isn't the fastest focus.
a couple of things I do...
try to focus on a point where the subject is going to be first before the subject comes in the frame (action) this keeps the amount of time it takes to zoom in at a min,
you can first focus near the spot in manual and then turn it on auto focus
I find if I use the focal length of less then 60mm it focuses faster (crop in with you favourite photo editor)
I tend to get better focus if the camera is set to auto focus single instead of auto focus continuous unless the action if fast

cheers