Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-7 instead of K-5

Accepting that the K-5 is the latest and most likely the best performing of the two models.
What are peoples thoughts on getting a K-7?
Are they still available new or is it a case of remaining stock in stores then no more?

Would you expect them to be cheaper (new) then a K-5? In the one Aussie shop I found which lists both for sale they still had the K-7 $100 more expensive then a K-5 though when I queried them on that they told me they would price match but I would have thought the K-7 would be less being an older model.

10-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The main difference is in high-ISO performance where the K-5 is tops. Increased FPS as well.
10-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The main difference is in high-ISO performance where the K-5 is tops. Increased FPS as well.
I think I could live without either of those things.
What About pricing? Over here I've not seen any difference but one would think the K-7 might come down in price. Are they even still available new or is it just whatever remaining stock the shops have?
10-28-2011, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #4

Pentax's website does not list the K7, and BH photo lists the camera as discontinued. I don't know any more details than that, but I think they've ceased production and what you can find is what you can find. You may be able to find some good deals on the K7 with this in mind.

10-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

New examples of the K-7 can still be found. Some Amazon venders have a few. But it appears the price bottomed out in the $700 range some time ago. The price is now very close to the K-5 - about $1000. This usually happens with discontinued cameras - the price falls as it is replaced by the latest and greatest. But then it slowly becomes more expensive as it becomes scarce.
10-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now $700 really would have been a good buy.
10-28-2011, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7 is a great camera and it has any great features which were re-used by the K-5 incl. sturdy metallic body, WR, superb handling, excellent view finder, While the K-5's FPS is better on paper, several PF members showed that the the realFPS of the K-5 is much closer to the K-7. (I tested the K-7 PFS and it is about 5.1 to 5.2 fps - real fps.)

Unless you need high-ISO, the K-7 is an excellent value for money, either as new or used IMHO.

I have a K-7 and I debated to buy a K-5. I see no real interest and I prefered to invest in "good glasses": i.e., good lenses like the FA31mm and a few other beauties....

Hope that the comment will help....
10-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The K-7 is a great camera and it has any great features which were re-used by the K-5 incl. sturdy metallic body, WR, superb handling, excellent view finder, While the K-5's FPS is better on paper, several PF members showed that the the realFPS of the K-5 is much closer to the K-7. (I tested the K-7 PFS and it is about 5.1 to 5.2 fps - real fps.)

Unless you need high-ISO, the K-7 is an excellent value for money, either as new or used IMHO.

I have a K-7 and I debated to buy a K-5. I see no real interest and I prefered to invest in "good glasses": i.e., good lenses like the FA31mm and a few other beauties....

Hope that the comment will help....

Yes it does. Thanks. ATM only one store I've found has K-7 and is asking the same as for a K-5 which does not make a lot of sense to me.
I'll keep looking around for a bit.

10-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
NKK
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Yes it does. Thanks. ATM only one store I've found has K-7 and is asking the same as for a K-5 which does not make a lot of sense to me.
The same in Sweden and Denmark, don't make sense to me either? I was thinking about investing in a K-7, but as the K-5 prices has dropt so much it seems a little crazy not to step up to the K-5?
K-7 on the used market are way overpriced too, compared to the new K-5 prices.... weird, maybe it changes within some months, when people realize they cannot get the asked price for the K-7?

Not complaining of course, just wondering
10-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
ATM only one store I've found has K-7 and is asking the same as for a K-5 which does not make a lot of sense to me.
I would consider to purchase the K-7 second hand. Most cameras are designed to last over 100,000 actuations and a camera with less than 10,000 to 20,000 actuations may be a good choice.

A number of options include the PF marketplace, or some reputed 2nd ahnd photo equipment dealers like KEH (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com) and Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera, Used equipment). Both have a return policy which may provide some peace of mind. (I purchased used lenses from both Keh and Adorama and I can recommend both.)

For example KEH has an used K-7 for $685 in Excellent conditions. Considering that KEH has a reputation to be conservative, this may be an excellent option.

Hope that the further comments may help...
10-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I would consider to purchase the K-7 second hand. Most cameras are designed to last over 100,000 actuations and a camera with less than 10,000 to 20,000 actuations may be a good choice.

A number of options include the PF marketplace, or some reputed 2nd ahnd photo equipment dealers like KEH (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com) and Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera, Used equipment). Both have a return policy which may provide some peace of mind. (I purchased used lenses from both Keh and Adorama and I can recommend both.)

For example KEH has an used K-7 for $685 in Excellent conditions. Considering that KEH has a reputation to be conservative, this may be an excellent option.

Hope that the further comments may help...
I agree, a used K7 is a good way to save money. Once a camera is discontinued, the price usually stops going down for it new, but the used price is pretty reasonable. I've seen them go on the Marketplace for just a little over 500 dollars. It really seems like a camera that hasn't been prone to problems and so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it used at all
10-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a K7 and love it. If a K5 is bugger all more in price though, then I'd go for the K5, purely for the increased ISO performance. You might not think ISO is a big issue until you're indoors somewhere and need a few extra ISO's. Good luck with the new purchase, any new camera means happy times!

Regards
10-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I also got the K-7 instead of the K-5. One of the reasons was price (K-5 was just out). And I have to say, it is a very good camera, and the high ISO of it is not as bad as many want you to believe. If you know how to do the exposures with it, you can easely go to ISO 3200 without problems (yes there will be some noise, but hey that is what it is)