Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

K100D or K100D SUPER?

hi!
what`s the different of K100D and K100D SUPER?
is K100D SUPER better?
i don`t know which i will buy, but i`m thinking..
thanks!

12-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The biggest differences are that the super has the built in sensor cleaning, and they support the new AF features in the new DA* lenses. I'm not sure if there are any other differences.
12-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
oh, thanks a lot ! (:
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Are all the DA lenses usdm (ultra sonic drive motor?), if not how can you tell. I am asking becuase I was strongly considering just getting the 100D as it doesn't seem that sensor shake is worth the extra money. I was especially lookin at the 10-17 fisheye. Would that work fine on the non super. Thanks for any help. ch

12-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Are all the DA lenses usdm (ultra sonic drive motor?), if not how can you tell. I am asking becuase I was strongly considering just getting the 100D as it doesn't seem that sensor shake is worth the extra money. I was especially lookin at the 10-17 fisheye. Would that work fine on the non super. Thanks for any help. ch
The fisheye should work just fine on the non super. It will just use the regular screw focusing that you get with your other lenses.
12-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Answered my own question, the SDM lenses are the ones with the purple line in the roadmap and it appears they are and will be really really expensive.
12-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, the DA* lenses are SDM. However, Mr. Pentax is thinking of us again - they also have the drive connection for the AF screw, so they will work with any Pentax AF camera, except the ME-F. They mount focus, expose, perfectly, but vignette at the shorter focal lengths.

12-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #8

with rebate right now k100d super is actually cheaper than k100d.....
12-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Go for the K100D Super. More lenses down the road will incorporate SDM.
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
Although not necessarily in Latvia.

If there's a significant price difference, I say go with the non-super. The implementation of SDM in Pentax lenses to date is in-lens ultrasonic micromotors, not ring-motors as in some other systems. That means that the most significant advantage is simply silent focusing -- there's not a big gain in speed.

And the dust removal system is better than nothing, but still doesn't keep you from needing to do your own sensor cleaning, so I wouldn't pay much for it.

Since those really are the only differences, I really can't see paying much more than a few dollars to go "up" to the Super.
12-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I was strongly considering just getting the 100D as it doesn't seem that sensor shake is worth the extra money. I was especially lookin at the 10-17 fisheye. Would that work fine on the non super. Thanks for any help. ch
Absolutely. Here's one with that combo.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/2007%202%20of%204/070604-7805DamRiver.jpg
12-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
The fisheye should work just fine on the non super. It will just use the regular screw focusing that you get with your other lenses.
It will work OK, K100D will work with ANY K mount, M42 mount (via adapter) lens. Even DA*, they just will focus via screwdriver not SDM....
So don't worry about DA 10-17

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
Outside of US I don't think rebates are that popular (unfotunately for many of US)

DA* are SDM, all other Pentax glass, and so far all 3rd party lenses for Pentax K mount are not SDM. So even if there are more DA* coming (at least roadmap shows so) for few more years you'll be perfectly fine with K100D without SDM support. But then if the price difference isn't too big, then maybe get Super.
12-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #13

I'm with mattdm, in that it depends on the price differential in your country and how much you have to spend. If I were choosing between the two now and if the super were less, then of course. K100D is a great camera and with the addition of more features, it's easy to choose.

But the newer features really don't matter to me, as I don't see myself buying the motorized lenses in the future, unless price comes way down.

Last edited by chedoy; 12-15-2007 at 02:02 PM.
12-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
I'm with mattdm, in that it depends on the price differential in your country and how much you have to spend. If I were choosing between the two now and if the super were less, then of course. K100D is a great camera and with the addition of more features, it's easy to choose.

But the newer features really don't matter to me, as I don't see myself buying the motorized lenses in the future, unless price comes way down.
Not to mention that the motorized lenses will work on cameras without SDM compatitbility. Pentax retained backwards compatibiltiy. The screw drive is there in the DA* lenses.