Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying a new second body

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Everyone probably gets tired of these threads, but I'm at a crossroad with my decision on which way to move forward.

I have a K20D which I love and will be keeping. I've recently acquired a great Tamron SP 300 2.8 lens, and my plan is to leave the K20D attached to it all the time as well as mounted on a tripod.

Now it's time for another body to use hand held. One thing I will mention is that I seem to have an arthritis affliction that is getting worse - I just can't hand hold that big Tammy hence the reason that it will me always mounted on a tripod. I bought a K-x a while back as a second body and also to see if I could get my wife interested - well.....I've lost the K-x to her which is a good thing!

So, I'm down to 3 choices as I see it, but with budget concerns of course.

Buy another K20D - average price here on the Marketplace is $375. I love my K20D, but am thinking that I want to take advantage of the newer technology. But, I like the size of the K-x in my hands - seems to be easier to hold than my K20D with my sometimes feeble fingers.

Buy a K-5 - this is kind of a no-brainier, but a bit over what I would like to spend. I can do it though and I know I would be happy.

Buy a K-r - I'm a little hesitant about this since I feel the K-5 would suit me better coming from a K20D. I would certainly miss the TaV mode especially and also the penta-prism view finder. But...the K-r is half the price of a K-5 - with that I could be able to feed my LBA much easier - if I buy the K-5 I am done buying anything for at least 6 months.

So there is my dilemma. I've read everything I can on both the K-5 and K-r so it basically comes down to buy a K-5 only or buy a K-r and a nice piece of fast glass.

10-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What do you shoot?
10-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if the k20d sensor is good enough for you, you pick up a k-7 to get the same small body as the k-5 as well
10-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
if the k20d sensor is good enough for you, you pick up a k-7 to get the same small body as the k-5 as well
+1
If you do not need the High-ISO, the K-7 is as good as the K-5 and cheaper. The K-7 has a superb handling, solid body, excellent viewfinder, good fps...

10-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mmm - If you are critical of what your photos look like you can't go past the K5. Not buying anything else for 6 months will not matter if you have the K5. It has come down a lot in price. I suspect there is a chance any camera with sony censors in it may go up due to their Bankock factory being flooded.
10-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Go directly to K-5. There is a lot more to it than just high ISO. In fact the improvement on low ISO is even better (14EV of DR).
10-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
What do you shoot?
I should have noted that in my original post.

I shoot primarily nature outdoors. This past summer I've taken many close-up flower shots with my D FA 100 WR with great results. I am also into wildlife although those great shots are quite elusive. My shooting is done 99% at home on my own property and my primary walk around lens is my DA 55-300. I don't shoot indoors at all, and very rarely use a wide lens. My plans as I move forward as stated in my OP are to use my Tammy 300 2.8 on a tripod with the K20D, and have a body for hand-held using the DA 55-300 and hopefully upgrading to a Tammy 70-200 2.8.

I never really considered the K-7, but this is why I ask here. Some good points are made and help me make a thoughtful decision. I hadn't thought of the K-7 because I felt if I was going to spend that much, I would just make the jump to the K-5. The K-7 seems to average ~$600. I love the images I get with my K20D, and seem to be able to get nice clean images even @ ISO 800 after some PP. But, being this body will be used hand held, I thought the fact that I could shoot @ ISO 1600 or 3200 would be a big benefit as a lot of wildlife is active near sunset and dusk.

After looking more into the K-r, I think I am eliminating that option as there are too many features on the K20D/K-7/K-5 that I would miss.

I am going to work with my K20D some more today. While I love to feel and heft with the grip attached, I am going to remove it to get a feel without. Another plus with a second K20D is having 2 bodies with the same controls which also share the same batteries/charger.

At this point my choice is down to a second K20D, or go all the way to the K-5.

The positives for me with a K-5:

Shoot at a higher ISO - not a huge deal but would be nice in low light situations
Ergonomics - better feel in my hands and lighter weight

The positives with a K20D:

Same controls for both cameras
Share batteries and grip
$800 cheaper - that pays for that Tammy 70-200 2.8

Thanks for all the input folks - going to let it stew today while I work a little with my K20D without the grip.

10-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would like to add.....

I am on a road trip today to the Arthritis Center which is in a fairly big city (to my standards) and found there is a camera shop there. They show a new K-7 in stock on their web page.

I will stop by there, and if nothing else hopefully get to hold the K-7 in my hands to get a feel for the body. This will be a huge help in making my decision. They list is for $1250 with the kit lens which of course is ridiculous being it is a discontinued model - I wonder what they would take for the body only..?? I feel if I could get it for $800 I would take it home, but I am probably really reaching for the stars with that offer.

If they in fact do have it, at least I will know what a K-5 will look and feel like.
10-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would not pay $800 for it new. I sold one with a 670 shutter count for much less. You can get a K-5 for $999 - 1050, and there are many great deals on low shutter count K-7s out there.

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) K5 - NEW! | eBay
NEW Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body Only 16MP 1080p | eBay
10-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the shop didn't have either the K-7 of K-5 in stock - only a K-r and K-x.

I held the K-r, and as I expected was the same size and feel of the K-x.

Now the question for me remains - is the K-5 the same size (especially the right grip) and feel of the K-r? If so, I might just as well stay with another K20D.

I sure wish they had a K-7 on hand for me to hold - now I just don't know......
10-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would say...

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well, the shop didn't have either the K-7 of K-5 in stock - only a K-r and K-x.

I held the K-r, and as I expected was the same size and feel of the K-x.

Now the question for me remains - is the K-5 the same size (especially the right grip) and feel of the K-r? If so, I might just as well stay with another K20D.

I sure wish they had a K-7 on hand for me to hold - now I just don't know......
I would say that the K-5 and K-r have very similar form factors. The K-5 is a bit more solid feeling though. Obvious because of the metal construction. Grips are very similar.
10-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you've ever held a K100D, it's more the dimensions of that. The K-5/7 are bigger than the K-r because they still have the top LCD, etc. That said I just got a K20D with Katz-Eye off the market to hold me over until my K-r is returned from CRIS. It's a really nice camera, almost as nice as my K-7 was, the software is much nicer on the K-7 though.
10-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is all so difficult without actually holding these things in your own hands......
10-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, you can return the camera if you hate it. I don't think you will though. The newer cameras are an improvement. Still, K20Ds can be had for such a bargain right now.
10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Well, you can return the camera if you hate it. I don't think you will though. The newer cameras are an improvement. Still, K20Ds can be had for such a bargain right now.
I know....we're talking a difference of $850.....and I know I could return it - I did that once with a $1000 lens, but it had focus issues.

Well, I'm getting obsessive about this now - found an image of both cameras together - now to me there doesn't look like a whole lot of difference in overall size:

Last edited by stormtech; 06-25-2012 at 07:16 PM.