Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Any tricks for checking focus, k10

Anybody have any good tricks or advice on how to check the focus by looking at the pic just taken in the back LED monitor - Pentax K10 DSLR. I can't seem to get it right with my eye in Manual mode and the green in viewer flash seems often wrong. Everything seems wonderful in the small LED screen, but when viewed at home: out of focus. I wish I understood the technique of displaying the shot just taken then turning the dial to enlarge it more and more till I can (supposedly) tell if the shot was in focus. I'm shooting dogs at night with flash at the local dog park: Halloween costume party: lots of bright street lights - but that's it.

Thanks for any help,

Marty

Link to my dog photo site ( scroll down, check October Fotos (Valencia, Spain)
MARTY WATT (dotfur)'s Photos | SmugMug

10-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe you can set the initial zoom when reviewing the photo. I had it on 4x and it was enough for me to see. Unfortunalely it only gives you center of the picture, not what you had under focus point like Canon does.
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
I don't know why I can't really seem to tell the in focus from the out of focus even when zooming in very large. You can use the up, down, side to side arrows to move around in the large zoom.
10-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seeing pictures would help, but if you're shooting in the dark, chances are you are seeing no just out of focus, but also motion blur from too slow a shutter speed.

As for seeing the difference between sharp and not so sharp, there's no big secret. But it helps to have some sharp pictures to compare with. So take some in good light with AF then zoom in. If you can't see individual hairs on the dog, it's probably not as sharp as it could be. Eyes are usually good tests too.

10-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, Marc

Thanks, Marc.

Yea, there's probably a lot of motion blur going on. 180 shutter speed. probably lots of depth of field trouble too: have the aperture wide open... usually, I just don't shoot at the Dog Park much in winter, switch to video - go figure: that stays right in focus, cheap point and shoot canon, but they scheduled this Halloween Costume Thing for Tuesday evening. If I'm lucky, all the events will be over by 6:30 or so - so I'll get some light.
Thing is: even with the motion blur and depth of field problems, I get a percentage of useable shots ( I'm just documenting events and the stories that come about among the dogs - not going for great photography) but it's all guess work: if only I could have some guide as to when I'm kind of in focus. The range of tolerance in the LCD is ridiculous: almost no help at all: pic has to be WAY out of focus to notice it in the LCD, over/under exposed - you can see that, but focus: most shots look wonderful in the LCD. and the auto green light thing: also not much help.
My shots are all wide and mid distance to capture the interactions: very few closeups...

Thanks again

Marty

Some of the galleries her from late October show some of the almost passable photos
MARTY WATT (dotfur)'s Photos : AYORA DOG PARK : OCTUBRE 2011 | SmugMug