Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Positive update on CRIS repair:
  • A good call to 3rd rep in Pentax servicing department was made today. He is the best candidates that I've talked to during my past K-x repair and the same happened again today with this gentlemen for my K20D repair. You can PM me for the name of the BEST rep. to call for servicing and the ones to avoid.
  • My repair estimate comes as a surprise for $140 + $12 shipping. It is a blessing to hear the low cost in the repair for a long list of items
    • replace shutter mechanism
    • replace aperture control unit
    • replace bottom cover
    • adjust to manufacturing spec
    • general check and clean
    • repair with 90 day service warranty
    • $12 for return shipment
  • The best news that I learn in my 2n repair is that CRIS and Pentax do change to make use of the email that I provided in the submitted repair form.
  • It is utmost important to use their forms as one can provide multiple emails and contact phone number
  • I got the estimate from CRIS Pentax department with PDF file for the estimate in about a week from sending my camera in.
  • CRIS provides a customer ID along with the estimate for users to check on repair status online which was lacking from my previous repair on K-x
Thanks,
Hin
That's great news!

It makes me feel better about my K20D as well. My warranty ends the latter part of Feb 2012. From there on out its on me to repair it.

So far at around 50,000 shutter activations It developed two very minor issues; one the rear edial would skip now and then, second ( a couple months latter) the spring broke that pulls the release arm for the SD card door (it presses/pulls the door against the silicone sealing, nice!). These were parts of the camera I used daily and now have over 52,000 clicks on my K20D. BTW if you care to can you state how many shutter activations your K20D has? I just like keeping track of the K20D durability over the years, if not no problem.

Really even if I did not fix those issues they did not stop me from using the K20D its still never failed to be ready to take a pic. I do have my free checkup I will use the last month (Feb) of course. But just knowing the K20D can be kept going for a little cost is nice. Of course I Know all repairs might not be so economical as yours I do want to see what Ricoh makes before buying a new body.

Again glad for you. CRIS does good work and your camera will come back in good working condition and clean! Watch and see.

Last edited by jamesm007; 11-16-2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: grammar
11-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get another k-x or k-r that way you have a light weight body that makes use of all the nice glass you have. Wait until the next high end Pentax body, presumably the k-3 and see it has less issues than the k-5.

If you were stressed out by your k-x repair experience, k-5 does not seem the way to go.
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My K20D repair comes back from CRIS in about three weeks since I sent my K20D in. My repair was out of warranty and CRIS charged nominally for $152 shipped for the repair that involved replacing the shutter and aperture control. I am quite happy with my repair experience with CRIS which did an excellent job in restoring my K20D to working order.

Kudos to CRIS for its outstanding work in my repair. The only gripe that I can think about is in the handling of calls with the Pentax Service department. I talk to some reps who are friendly and supportive while I also talk to someone who is not helpful and I get quite cold responses to my request for help. On the other hand, the CRIS website with a repair work-order number and member ID helps greatly as I can check online with CRIS on the repair status.

Cheers,
Hin
12-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good News. As for the cold service well if you are talking with a tech as opposed to a receptionis/clerk they aren't noted in any industry as being the most freindly sorts
As long as they do good work well.....

12-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Good News. As for the cold service well if you are talking with a tech as opposed to a receptionis/clerk they aren't noted in any industry as being the most freindly sorts
As long as they do good work well.....
I have to agree but it really makes a great difference when I talk to the friendly rep in Pentax who explains to me how the back-order parts work and how delay can happen when parts go through custom in ports. With a friendly rep who goes the extra to explain things over the phone, it makes a huge difference for me as a Pentax customer.

When I call CRIS to follow through my repair order, the personnels are more friendly and helpful in comparison.

It is all good in the repair but I will rate the overall experience 5 stars had it not from the cold responses from two Pentax service rep. I will rate the CRIS experience as 5 stars whereas I will rate the Pentax service as 3 stars. Overall experience is in 4 stars.

Cheers,
Hin
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Truthfully I think the K200D was Pentax most reliable model
I agree with that notion also. It is also one dSLR from Pentax with just one firmware upgrade from its original release, speaks volumes about the (lack of) bugs reported from the field considering the possibility many of them are still being used.