Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice collection. I can't imagine what it would cost to come close to duplicating that set in Nikon. certainly more than you would get by selling it off (likely the difference would end up being more than 2 k5's )

11-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #32

Well, I never sell my equipment. ... I can't imagine not having my 21 mm. It's my top go-to lens - it's between that one, and the 35mm that was stolen over the summer...

not a great experience to have your apartment broken into and rifled through. I am afraid to do an inventory of the equipment missing. I don't think he took much of my photo equipment, all told - I know for sure I'm missing my film pentax pz-1 and the attached 35mm f2. I was lucky that I'd had my pentax k10 hidden. (I must be one of the few people who haven't upgraded since getting into digital) ... I may suffer LBA... but, my cba has mostly settled into the old film classics rather than digital media.
11-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
nice collection. I can't imagine what it would cost to come close to duplicating that set in Nikon. certainly more than you would get by selling it off (likely the difference would end up being more than 2 k5's )
That is exactly my worries and issues. Though I have made a conscious efforts to trim my gear over last year, I still have too many. What I have collected is not easily replaced. Had I gone earlier to the darker side, it would have been easier. My learned lesson is to cut lesser use gear whenever I find a chance.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoseyD Quote
Well, I never sell my equipment. ... I can't imagine not having my 21 mm. It's my top go-to lens - it's between that one, and the 35mm that was stolen over the summer...

not a great experience to have your apartment broken into and rifled through. I am afraid to do an inventory of the equipment missing. I don't think he took much of my photo equipment, all told - I know for sure I'm missing my film pentax pz-1 and the attached 35mm f2. I was lucky that I'd had my pentax k10 hidden. (I must be one of the few people who haven't upgraded since getting into digital) ... I may suffer LBA... but, my cba has mostly settled into the old film classics rather than digital media.
Rose, very sorry to hear about the story of stolen gear. I am glad you have the K10D. But the lost of 35 f/2 is huge. The latest DA 35 f/2.4 is cheaper to have and you should check out if it meets your needs. It won't work as well as your FA 35mm f/2.0 as it is DA lens and without the aperture ring.

I wish I live next door to you as we share common interest in film and classic gear. And if Dave is next door, I am covered for the long lens. I have done reasonably well in LBA/CBA but I am nowhere near to non-thinking of the have nots. Due to my limited flatbed scanning at home, I have almost given up on 135 film, I shoot 120 roll films. It is lots of fun especially in b&w and color films are refreshing to the digital results.
11-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I borrow a Nikon D7000 with its kit lens 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6. It is quite a nice setup. The best thing about the Nikon is the AF. It is so responsive in AF and it works excellently in indoor. I purposely keep cursing the camera as I don't want to fall in love with this foreign but very nice camera.

There are certain things that hold me back from the D7K
  • The build and ergonomics are good but not as outstanding as the Pentax. That can be my bias as I can blindly operate with my Pentax gear
  • The kit lens is a great value and good range but the plastic mount appears not sturdy and don't seem to invoke confidence for frequent usage.
  • Image is sharp but I do find purple fringing especially in the longer end.
  • The buttons layout has some improvement to do -- the iso button on left strike me as a surprise
  • Overall layout seems complicated but they do have many advance features. The two SD card, the live view, AF, metering seem to be outstanding.
  • The lens mount release is NOT totally user friendly. If you are left handed, the D7K lens mount release is for you

Had my friend brought in some primes from Nikon, I would be in more trouble in getting tempted. So far, I am most impressed with D7K on its AF performance.

Last edited by hinman; 11-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
11-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i would disagree on the K7 Nanhi. I own a K10 (same build as the K20) and a K7. I think the K7 is better built than the K10 was (i still use both but prefer the K7 now) As for performance the K7 is vastly underrated as people seemed to expect a bigger performance jump at the time. Advantage to a K7 if you are thinking a K5 at some point is both use the same design so no adapting how you work every time you change bodies (the layout differences are the most frustrating thing when i carry both)

As for K5 QC I believe most issues have long since been addressed, and like it's been said all makes/models will have a failure rate, including whatever comes next from Ricoh-Pentax.
The K5 was also a big seller so i think we see more people with issues just because they sold more cameras than before
I think your right in the K7 being better built than the K10D but wrongish in the K20D and K10D being built the same. First just count the number of screws holding down the bottom cover on your K10D then look at a pic on of the bottom of a K20D; you will count one more screw. If you could see inside you will find a few things different. One of Pentax main selling statemens of the K20D was it listend to what we wanted (AF fine tune, Better High ISO,...) and also addressed internal contruction issues that I found. It seems logical as Pentax knew what to address in the K20D by that time to avoid warranty issues. And indeed the K20D had no issues (but for a firmware update) for a long time.

To all:

I also believe the K20D was one of Pentax most reliable dSLRs along with the K200, K-7 and perhaps other older models. I do think maybe the K5 does have some QC problems but not as many as this forum would have you thinking. Truthfully I think the K200D was Pentax most reliable model I could be wrong of course. But as far as Pentax top model, yes for sure the K20D has been holding for a long time! I still shoot it with over 50,000 shutter counts. It had two very minor issues that needed repair, but if I did not repair it - it would still be working and taking pics (I think?), very minor issues, but better to have a tech look now and then.

Yes digital is harder on the camera and its a computer now (with gears,grease, springs, cams of course, good/bad?) and not a very forgiving, passive film media. The owners manual for both Pentax and Nikon (perhaps all dSLRs) states to have the dSLR checked every year or two. The technician might be able to see things and prevent problems. There is a lot of grease inside Pentax dSLRs, plastic gears, springs. Its like driving your car for years and never changing the oil or worse just never opening the hood or letting a mechanic look at it. Just drive until it breaks down. So some preventive maintenance may be able to help keep the camera going.

As for the OP he can only decide. a K5 with 3 year warranty? Keep shutter count low then sell...

Last edited by jamesm007; 11-06-2011 at 08:47 PM.
11-02-2011, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

hinman,

First I'd like to say you were one of the people who inadvertently drew me to the Pentax line when I first started exploring DSLRs. Your blog posts were insightful and filled with practical examples, and of beautiful imagery that defied any bias I had to the "big" brands and the popular names. I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss of not one, but two of your Pentax bodies. I honestly think that with the amount you've invested in the line, it'd be saddening to have to part with your current collection. I think the quickest path is to get that k-5 and keep on shooting.

At the same time, selling your current collection and starting anew with N* or C* should also seriously be considered - if there are qualms about the Pentax line that you've found where N* has improved upon (AF for example), it may not be a bad idea to jump over. It may even be an opportune time. I think that selling the majority of your collection right now won't be as arduous as you think given the Pentax Market right now - either way, you'll be back to shooting in no time.

Personally, I've gone the C* route to full frame with the 5D and I don't regret a single moment. I keep a film LX for some the leftover k-mounts and a few m42's. I find that I miss a few things but find improvement in other areas and overall, the pros outweigh the cons. At the end of the day, you realize the camera is but a man-made tool meant for taking photographs, and that's what I will continue doing!
11-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
hinman,

First I'd like to say you were one of the people who inadvertently drew me to the Pentax line when I first started exploring DSLRs. Your blog posts were insightful and filled with practical examples, and of beautiful imagery that defied any bias I had to the "big" brands and the popular names. I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss of not one, but two of your Pentax bodies.
Hey Hin! You were also an early inspiration to me, especially in this forum. Your wonderful colors and compositions really drew me and and got me excited about photography. Whatever you do regarding equipment, you will have success and bring joy to the hobby.

(If I lived near you, I'd lend you one of my bodies, alas...)

11-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
hinman,

First I'd like to say you were one of the people who inadvertently drew me to the Pentax line when I first started exploring DSLRs. Your blog posts were insightful and filled with practical examples, and of beautiful imagery that defied any bias I had to the "big" brands and the popular names. I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss of not one, but two of your Pentax bodies. I honestly think that with the amount you've invested in the line, it'd be saddening to have to part with your current collection. I think the quickest path is to get that k-5 and keep on shooting.

At the same time, selling your current collection and starting anew with N* or C* should also seriously be considered - if there are qualms about the Pentax line that you've found where N* has improved upon (AF for example), it may not be a bad idea to jump over. It may even be an opportune time. I think that selling the majority of your collection right now won't be as arduous as you think given the Pentax Market right now - either way, you'll be back to shooting in no time.

Personally, I've gone the C* route to full frame with the 5D and I don't regret a single moment. I keep a film LX for some the leftover k-mounts and a few m42's. I find that I miss a few things but find improvement in other areas and overall, the pros outweigh the cons. At the end of the day, you realize the camera is but a man-made tool meant for taking photographs, and that's what I will continue doing!
Thank you so much for your kind words. My blog has almost disappeared and forgotten among the Pentax community. I get no one to blame but myself in lacking time and energy to keep up with the latest. The 5D is a great camera for the FF and it will be my choice if I go Canon. I will prefer 5D over the mark II as the image quality is what matters and the price on 5D is quite unbelievable for a FF venture. It is a logical choice and I am not surprised that you are NOT looking back.

I am glad that you keep your gear with an LX. If it was me, I will get a smaller Pentax body as in Kx or Kr so that it works with a good prime in a small package. I know the 5D will be notches up for image quality but I find my K-x working wonder for me with a limited lens for my traveling in New Zealand. The best experience that I have with K-x is the lightweight when used with limited primes and a light-weight zoom.

The LX is the best for 135 format but I have almost given up the format due to my limited flatbed scanner at home.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Hey Hin! You were also an early inspiration to me, especially in this forum. Your wonderful colors and compositions really drew me and and got me excited about photography. Whatever you do regarding equipment, you will have success and bring joy to the hobby.

(If I lived near you, I'd lend you one of my bodies, alas...)

The admiration and inspiration really goes both ways. I bought the 15 because of your posting. I can blame (or thank you) many of my LBA on you. Thank you for the support and kindness in your comment.

Last edited by hinman; 11-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.
11-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am salvaging the last few pictures from my k20d. It will be shipped out on Friday to Pentax Imaging.

f/1.2 madness with Cosina 55mm f/1.2

11-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #40

Hin, I like the first b&w leaf the most.

I admit, if you were close to Boston, we'd probably be sharing quite a bit of equipment.

These days, I don't take out my pentax so much. after the burglary, I am afraid to show my neighbors what I still have. yes, I suspect (95%) know who broke in - and it's a neighbor. No way to prove it. I passed my suspicions on to the police but they weren't able to pin anything on him. But, he's a druggie, and there was a short window of accessability into my apartment - and, I figure I locked him in to do his evil worst for the day. - Yup. I lost a lot, and I hate seeing him in my building, on my street, walking freely - knowing what was taken from me.

I can honestly say, that I went from feeling christian (and not wishing ill on anyone) - to being a whole lot less christian in character. But, that's talk better left to the confessional.

I love my pentax equipment, even though it's not getting outdoors anymore. If I were taking a trip out of the neighborhood, I'd be more inclined to take them with me. But, I think that the whole thievery has destroyed my confort zone of doing any photography close to home. This summer (post event) I switched to using my smart-phone camera. - Gotta' say, 8 megapixels on a phone, what a great invention!

Will I consider buying another system? I had thought that the k5 was the route to go (some day) - but after reading about the problems with the 1/30 - 1/180 shake??? now I'm not so sure. If I had the money, I would love to get the Leica M9 - yeah - how's that for blowing money better saved for retirement?

Hin, it might be worth considering, if you love classic cameras, great lenses, and can shoot slow - the idea of a rangefinder with digital capture may be another path worth researching. <<Yes, I am quite evil in adding a further suggestion to C/LBA...>>
11-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rose, I thought the vibration blur problem is only evident in K7 and if anything, I think it should have been corrected in K5.

And to Eddie1960 and other loyal users of K7, please chimp in and give us your assessment if shutter induced blur in K7 hinders your likeness of K7. I shoot mostly hand-held and I prefer to shoot freely with least use of tripod and mono-pod though I know the best shots for critical sharpness and quality come from those with help of tripod and mono-pod. If the critical shutter speed range from 1/50 to 1/160 sec hand-held will have more tendency of blurring from shutter vibration in K7, it is bothering me the most to consider it as alternative to my K20D.

It is against the trend. I am still open to a good condition K7 as it can save me quite an amount of money that I can use to repair my K20 as a backup, stop selling my gear with Pentax 645N, and have a spare money in getting a p&s upgrade such as Panasonic LX5 or Samsung Ex-1.

I have my dead K20D boxed up as in a white box coffin from USPS and ready to ship to Pentax imaging later today. I am going to spend the shipping and get a free estimate from CRIS/Pentax. But I have not decided at what repair cost that I can justify to pay resurrect my K20D.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-04-2011 at 12:47 PM.
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually rarely shoot at 1/50-1/60 actually so the shutter induce blur hasn't been a big issue. Falk did some tests and this was part of his conclusion (and I have noticed it on the DA14) BTW he determined it to be around 1/100 sec
In practice, you'll only see any effect with wide angle lenses.

QuoteQuote:
At about 1/100s you would normally have blur due to free-hand shake (we can ignore the case of a tripod as only weak tripods would cause any trouble with the shutter). At 50 mm and longer, the shutter blur will be masked and at 30 mm it will have comparable magnitude. It is at 10-20 mm that the effect will be noticeable most.

In these cases, we highly recommend to shoot at 1/25s (or slower) and to enable shake reduction as it is highly efficient at such exposure speeds. The images will be sharper than at 1/100s!
the whole thing is on his blog

Falk Lumo: LumoLabs: Shutter-induced blur with an SLR camera

and the thread is this one

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/108199-lumolabs-shutte...-7-camera.html

EDIT: I notice it most when i'm in a situation where i can't control the exposure as much. i..e. low light where i am already at an iso as high as i want to use like shooting bands in a club with the DA14
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I borrow a Nikon D7000 with its kit lens 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6. It is quite a nice setup. The best thing about the Nikon is the AF. It is so responsive in AF and it works excellently in indoor. I purposely keep cursing the camera as I don't want to fall in love with this foreign but very nice camera.

There are certain things that hold me back from the D7K
  • The build and ergonomics are good but not as outstanding as the Pentax. That can be my bias as I can blindly operate with my Pentax gear
  • The kit lens is a great value and good range but the plastic mount appears not sturdy and don't seem to invoke confidence for frequent usage.
  • Image is sharp but I do find purple fringing especially in the longer end.
  • The buttons layout has some improvement to do -- the iso button on left strike me as a surprise
  • Overall layout seems complicated but they do have many advance features. The two SD card, the live view, AF, metering seem to be outstanding.
  • The lens mount release is NOT totally user friendly. If you are left handed, the D7K lens mount release is for you

Had my friend brought in some primes from Nikon, I would be in more trouble in getting tempted. So far, I am most impressed with D7K on its AF performance.
Is there any chance of borrowing or renting a K5, to be able to do an apples to apples comparison? I don't doubt the D7k is nice, with multiple improvements over your K20, but it would be good to know how a same generation camera like the K5 compares, especially with your equipment/lens collection before jumping ship. There have been a few threads about a direct D7K and K5 comparison that may be worth reading.
11-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Is there any chance of borrowing or renting a K5, to be able to do an apples to apples comparison? I don't doubt the D7k is nice, with multiple improvements over your K20, but it would be good to know how a same generation camera like the K5 compares, especially with your equipment/lens collection before jumping ship. There have been a few threads about a direct D7K and K5 comparison that may be worth reading.
I am not considering the Nikon D7K system. With the Pentax lens collection I have and the discussions with others on this thread, I have decided NOT to go the Nikon route. I am not thumbing down on Nikon D7K but rather my unique collection of Pentax lens that take time to accumulate and it will suck me dry to the bones on energy and time to handle sale for a large collection of gear.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-05-2011 at 10:12 AM.
11-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Do some research

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am more inclined to Nikon D7000 as an alternative candidate to Pentax K5 and with a potential professional growing path to D700 or the like. I am NOT yet going that route but I am asking my good friend to borrow his D7000 for a short in-person trial next.

Hin
Hin,

I have not had too many problems with my Pentax gear and I have been shooting Pentax since 1978.

That does not mean I have not had any failures, as I have had a few, all in the newer products.

I have a K5, and I must say that the K5 has had a terrible record in the market since its introduction. I think my K5 is starting to show the dreaded shutter overrun problem once in a while.

I too thought about moving to Nikon, but once the K5 AF firmware upgrade was released, I decided not to do so.

However, you should really think twice about choosing the D7000 as a body to move to as it seems to have had almost as many problems as the K5. Do some research on the other forums and Google about AF problems and other failures with that camera. Coincidentally, there are several threads running at the other forums about D7000 users looking to move to Pentax due to their frustration with problems and focus errors with the D7000.

There is also an interesting thread in the Nikon forums discussing a Pentax shooter wanting to move to a D7000. There is very good discussion from a respected Nikon forum member about some aspects of the D7000 performance, especially in the AF area.

Personally, I would only move to a D700 if I were to move to Nikon, but even so, I would really miss the unique Pentax glass and size/ergonomics if I did move, along with a fair amount of my cash!

There are many things about Nikon that I am convinced are significanty better than anything Pentax offers, but a lot of those things do not matter that much to my style of shooting, but YMMV.

I am willing to give Ricoh some time to straighten all of this out in the upcoming months, after which I will re-assess what to do in the future. If I were a full time pro, the potential for failure with some of the Pentax gear would already have forced me to move elsewhere (and yes, I always have two bodies).

Good luck with your decision.

Ray

P.S - It looks like I missed your update. Buy a K5 and shoot it (you will love the images) and wait to see what Ricoh does.