Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF, how do you track it?

Coming to Pentax (well, maybe) from Minolta – Konica-Minolta I'm not really spoiled with good AF or exposure, but now I realise I am spoiled when it comes to ergonomics.

How in the world are you expected to make all the adjustments you need when the info-screen goes out immediately as you touch the first button on a K10D? Or is there a setting somewhere to keep it on permanently? I haven't found one. There's a hell of a lot of things you need may want to change but you can only pick one each time you have a look.

The most troubling issue for me is not being able to choose the focusing point with any speed or confidence using the LCD:s only, that is without staring through the viewfinder. But I need to do it because I often have to interact with the people I'm shooting at the same time, having eye contact and listening.

I've noticed the info screen displays a focusing point but that point can not be moved in real time. If you manage to select a new point will show up only after the screen has gone out and been activated again. Or do I have a faulty camera ?

Should I get an A700?

12-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Coming to Pentax (well, maybe) from Minolta – Konica-Minolta I'm not really spoiled with good AF or exposure, but now I realise I am spoiled when it comes to ergonomics.

How in the world are you expected to make all the adjustments you need when the info-screen goes out immediately as you touch the first button on a K10D? Or is there a setting somewhere to keep it on permanently? I haven't found one. There's a hell of a lot of things you need may want to change but you can only pick one each time you have a look.

The most troubling issue for me is not being able to choose the focusing point with any speed or confidence using the LCD:s only, that is without staring through the viewfinder. But I need to do it because I often have to interact with the people I'm shooting at the same time, having eye contact and listening.

I've noticed the info screen displays a focusing point but that point can not be moved in real time. If you manage to select a new point will show up only after the screen has gone out and been activated again. Or do I have a faulty camera ?

Should I get an A700?
Nah, don't bother with the A700 - it's just a little bit better in the K10d because you don't have to take the camera away from your eye.
  1. On the rear dial, set the AF point to [Sel]. The green at the left is auto select, the [-] on the right is center point only.
  2. Get ready to shoot. Look through the viewfinder.
  3. Press the [AF] button, or half press the shutter release, to light up the center AF point
  4. Use the [^],[v],[>],[<] jog dial to select the point you want with your right thumb. If you practice this a few times, you will find you can do it without taking your eye off the viewfinder.
  5. Take the picture.
12-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #3

Sounds like u need a point n shoot
12-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree, get a P&S.

12-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you guys are a bit harsh...

I've sometimes wished one could see the active AF point on the K10D's LCD screen (even better, the top LCD). The Nikon D70 does this (and I guess the D80 and D200/D300 as well).

To answer your question, Kameraten, your camera is not faulty. The K10D does not display the active AF point in real time anywhere but on the viewfinder.
12-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #6

Sorry if i sounded a bit harsh. I also have a rebel xt and it displays it on the LCD, but I never use it. l find it easier to use on the pentax, because unlike the canon I can just use the direction buttons. I have to push a button on the canon to go into that mode then the direction buttons, too many hoops to jump through. Maybe its different on the k10d, i have a k100d.
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

The K10D is a SLR - meaning that you look through the optics - all the buttons are linked to the information displayed in the viewfinder. The LCD screen on the top of the camera is not the place to make "adjustments" before shooting - looking through the viewfinder is.

What you need to do is work with the camera to learn the layout of the buttons/thumbwheels and the indicators represented in the viewfinder. If you really think that all the settings should be viewable via the LCD screen, then yes - sell the K10D and buy a P&S - you will be happier then.

The OP did not say what Konica/Minolta machine they were coming from. If it is a older model - there is no method of determining what is going on via a screen outside of the viewfinder. Older - pre auto everything - cameras were match needle manual devices and you had to look through the viewfinder to see the needle.

I think a P&S would make perfect sense for the OP.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i think you all aren't quite getting what the OP is getting at..

he wishes to move his AF point, while being able to be talking to the subject, without having his camera to his face. i don't see how it's unreasonable to think that you should be able to do so. i've overcome a similar issue, being a film minolta user, myself, where i've simply memorized where my AF points are. that way, i can arrow over to which one i want, before i bring up my camera. all it takes is smacking the info button one more time, not that big of a hassle, i think.

12-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Set to "Select",

Press the AF button to get the focus point back to center.

Know the layout of the focus points.

While talking to subjects, press the jog dial by feel one or two clicks to the left or right, up or down, and you should know where it will be.

If you actually make an error, even after a few times doing this, just correct when you bring it up to your eye.
12-14-2007, 01:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
The other side

Thanks for all the attention to my problem.
Someone wondered what I've been using up to now. Well, amongst others, most of the AF-Minoltas made from the 9000 to the KM7D and the KM5D. As a semipro photographer I'm naturally very familiar with how you choose a focusing point.

BTW, only the second SLR I got had a needle in the viewfinder. The first one didn't have a meter.

What I don't quite understand is why it would be better NOT to be able to see the AF-points on the LCD than to see them. Ever since there was more than one point to choose from Minoltas have had them well visible on the top or the back of the camera. It's actually very handy.

A good input method to select the right point is also needed and here the K10D is not logical. You juggle the four-way selector to get the pheriperal points, but to get the center AF-point you don't hit the center button but another of the 10 small knobs on the camera back.

I know about the K10D:s all good features, that's why I'm trying it out, and I think Pentax has a well considered line-up of lenses. That's why it's a shame if just bad software (firmware) spoils the brew.
12-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

At worst, you have to move the jog wheel twice to get back to the centre af point. I just played around with mine here in the house, and it worked ok. Never had to move my eye from the finder.

I think if you try it for a short while, you'll get the hang of it and soon will be second nature.

Dave
12-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Thanks for all the attention to my problem.
Someone wondered what I've been using up to now. Well, amongst others, most of the AF-Minoltas made from the 9000 to the KM7D and the KM5D. As a semipro photographer I'm naturally very familiar with how you choose a focusing point.

BTW, only the second SLR I got had a needle in the viewfinder. The first one didn't have a meter.

What I don't quite understand is why it would be better NOT to be able to see the AF-points on the LCD than to see them. Ever since there was more than one point to choose from Minoltas have had them well visible on the top or the back of the camera. It's actually very handy.

A good input method to select the right point is also needed and here the K10D is not logical. You juggle the four-way selector to get the pheriperal points, but to get the center AF-point you don't hit the center button but another of the 10 small knobs on the camera back.

I know about the K10D:s all good features, that's why I'm trying it out, and I think Pentax has a well considered line-up of lenses. That's why it's a shame if just bad software (firmware) spoils the brew.
Hi,

I too really wish the Pentax guys would have kept the same logic as on the *istDs where by pressing the OK button you can center the AF point.

Nevertheless, you can assign to the AF back button the centering of the AF point function.

For choosing the right AF point without looking through the VF, I really don't know what is the easiest way: what you need is Live view (so the A700 won't help) or... what about using a ZigView screen?

If you really need this feature, that might be a wise investment:

Zigview LCD Angle Finder For SLR Cameras Digital & Analogue

Hope this helps.
12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That is nice, would be cool for Macro photogs, but not for $500.