Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Coming back to Pentax

Ok I have been shooting Sony for about 6 years (moved to Canon for 1 year) I have owned the K10,20 in the past but was drawn to Sony but today I posted lenses and soon the A850, I have the monies saved for what I thought would be the a77 but I am disappointed with it and Sony in general, I do however have the 5N which is a niche camera but it is fun to use,, But for higher end stuff I need the flexibility of a DSLR.. I was thinking Nikon but I started shooting Pentax in the film days, so here I am moving back!! Look forward to shooting Pentax again..

Kevin

10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Are you looking to get a K-5?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Yes indeed !!
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Yes I am !!

10-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
KSB

Original Poster
Yes I am looking

to Buy the K5
Thanks
Kevin
10-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back!! They K-5 has been great for me, very happy!
10-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I started with Praktica ( a very affordable East German camera with 42mm Pentax mount. Moved on to two Ricoh's ( with Pentax K mount ) and then with the ultimate K1000 and KZ50. When I started with digital Pentax was very far behind. and poorly marketed, Went with Sony and the Panasonic superzoom, but in disgust turned to old love of my life, SLR and with the lenses and very positive experience from previous Pentax products found the K20 and am a VERY happy and proud returnee to Pentax, especially with my new DA*300. I know of only one other DSLR Pentax in my country, but dozens and dozens of Canikons. Welcome back to you and me and the other returnees

10-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KSB Quote
the a77 but I am disappointed with it and Sony in general,
Out of curiosity, why are you disappointed w/ the A77 and Sony in general?
The A77 looks extremely impressive from the reviews that have been put out...
10-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
KSB

Original Poster
Thank you ALL!!...

@ kenyee I have shot Sony for some time now and I just feel the struggle to maximize the system, case in point the latest sensor 16 mp. Pentax gets it and makes a great camera Nikon gets it and makes a great camera Sony just turned out a good (crop sensor) in the A580 and 5N, I will miss the FF a850 but I think Pentax will be releasing one in the next year. I am not sold on the SLT design, Sony take a different approach and I think I don't want to follow.. The A77 has some great features but if you read between the lines I see a very average camera, poor high iso output, I have read that the EVF is good but again not ready for that myself, 24mp on a crop sensor is to much!! I may keep the 5N for now but we shall see..
11-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KSB Quote
A77 has some great features but if you read between the lines I see a very average camera, poor high iso output
From the dpreview review, it seemed slightly noisier than the current 16MP cameras (probably because the SLT is sucking some light off) when the image is resized down. The tradeoff is video performance and sports shooting is a lot better on the Sony because of the SLT since there's no mirror to get out of the way.
Not sure sports shooting matters to you, but the D7000 has better tracking AF than the K-5. The A77 is supposedly slightly better, but nowhere near as good as the D300/D700 or 1D...
Now the hotshoe I can understand hating...not compatible w/ anything because they moved the center pin :-P