Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #31

The only store around me that carried Pentax was Fry's Electronics. I was pretty happy they did as I was at least able to handle a Kx before I bought mine.

11-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Some related questions occur to me:
  • Do Pentax dSLR products including (lenses) go unsold?
  • Could it be that Pentax production is maxed-out, that they just don't have the plants and workforce to feed a larger demand?
  • If Pentax dSLR products sell, giving a revenue stream that keeps management and shareholders happy, why bother spending more on marketing?
Of course that's the old mindset. Ricoh may plan on expanding Pentax as a major player, churning out goodies at Canikonympus volume. IMHO the first step would be to implant Optio's into big-box stores. If the brand name isn't visible at CostCo, BestBuy, WalMart, Target, Staples, etc, buyers don't know it exists. Buying invisible products is rather difficult, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 11-01-2011 at 10:23 AM.
11-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Some related questions occur to me:
  • Do Pentax dSLR products including (lenses) go unsold?
  • Could it be that Pentax production is maxed-out, that they just don't have the plants and workforce to feed a larger demand?
Production volume and market size are very related. Pentax has shrunk so much since the glory years they had to reduce production facilities and staff to stay profitable. It's hard to expand production until you know you will have the market to sell it, or the cost of inventory and overhead will sink you. Likewise it's hard to sell what you don't have on hand.
Same dilemma Leica is facing now, but their demand has climbed (over a year backlog on most lenses), so they are building new facilities and hiring people. With that is a risk that demand will fall once backlog is satisfied. People who can't find a lens may order it from several shops and plan to cancel the others once one delivers.
A company that plans for low production usually ends up staying small, and one that aims too high goes bankrupt.
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Pentax already has there foot in the door in the DSLR game and has a better chance now to make a name for itself than it did before hand. Someone just needs to lite a big fire under it's butt and say "get your stuff in order!!" and then they can have a better chance competing against canon & nikon.

11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #35

Photos: Albums
This has been my experience shooting Pentax as well. My friends all shoot Canon and love to snub their noses at my K20D. That is until it does things their cameras can't. I also hate how you can easily find Canikon accessories everywhere, nothing for Pentax though. I just wish Pentax would step up their line enough to compete with the "big two" in every field. I see no reason why they could outmatch either company, or at least compete evenly.
11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we're going backwards, a few years ago there was Pentax gear in Future Shops and Best Buys up here, nothing special, just a few K200Ds with kit lenses. That stopped at least 3 years ago. I'm guessing that means people didn't buy them.
11-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The only store around me that carried Pentax was Fry's Electronics. I was pretty happy they did as I was at least able to handle a Kx before I bought mine.
Me, too (K100D). Too bad it had no lens attached.
11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think we're going backwards, a few years ago there was Pentax gear in Future Shops and Best Buys up here, nothing special, just a few K200Ds with kit lenses. That stopped at least 3 years ago. I'm guessing that means people didn't buy them.
More to do with the buying style at BB/FS having worked there for almost 7 years. If they couldn't leverage Pentax enough they would drop them for someone they could. i've seen it happen many times while i was there (unless you are canikon in dslr you got leveraged heavily or disappeared (it is where my ds came from actually as I was working there at the time by the time I bought my K10 they were limited. last thing I saw was a KX with a kit, and I did try it out and return it and bought the K7 later - if they had the k7 i would have bought it sooner and kept it)
the lack of a strong selling p/s line hurt them there as well. canon and sony and panasonic just slaughter them on sales. actually i'd say almost all the p/s slaughtered the pentax at the time)

11-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Me, too (K100D). Too bad it had no lens attached.
Haha, the Kx they had had a cracked LCD and no power, but I was more interested in the feel than anything else.
11-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #40
Site Supporter

If it makes anyone feel any better I was in a HN strore the other day talking to the saleperson in the camera section. HN were not carrying Pentax but wanna guess what he used as his own personal camera?? K5.
11-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Just for general information, Wolf and Ritz are the same company in the US. Several years ago, they wanted a particular deal from Pentax ( so I was told at the time) which no one else was getting; Pentax said no, they said no, and those stores no longer carry any Pentax stuff.
11-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
Just for general information, Wolf and Ritz are the same company in the US. Several years ago, they wanted a particular deal from Pentax ( so I was told at the time) which no one else was getting; Pentax said no, they said no, and those stores no longer carry any Pentax stuff.
That would not surprise me in the least. this is classic retail buying leverage. Sears uses it all the time in the Appliance side. I remember talking with a rep when sears picked up his brand, before they would take it they wanted a model with one upgrade under the Kenmore banner for 25% less cost than the national branded model before they would list any of their product. Given the strength of sears in the appliance business (at the time a 55% market share if I remember correctly) they bit the bullet and took it. Walmart is even worse typically on fast moving items they are paying for them 2-3 months after they sold them due to an efficient supply chain, meanwhile of course using the free money for other things. Big chains help you move units but they aren't always the best route for a small company
11-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in the Washington, DC area and have been amazed at the lack of camera shops here. Penn Camera is the largest, but they are Canikon folks, but they did carry Pentax a while back.

But, there are now two local stores that carry Pentax: ePhotocraft and Ace Photo. Both carry a good line of product, if they don't have it they willing to order it. The owner of Photocraft shoots with the K-20 and love Pentax. He said he stopped carrying Pentax only till recent due to Pentax treated small stores badly. He said things have really changed and he started to carry Pentax again. I buy there whenever I can.
11-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #44

Let's take an example of zoom's. The Canon 70-300 IS is better than the Pentax 55-300 according to reviews. Makes some sense because I bought my DA L 55-300 on a used K-x for about $120 extra.

Frankly, if the Sony SLT models were not such bleeding edge technology they would have been my next choice. They also kind of felt like toys. I found the bottom end Pentax equation a no brainier in a lot of ways. Big viewfinder (about the same as a rebel but the d5000/5100 has a tiny one), large selection of cheaper lenses, AF motor on the body, sensor stablization. I actually shoot better with a prime lens than a zoom. I had a canon s90 and shot it a lot at 28mm (probably half my total shots) so I could get F2.0 indoors and loved it. Of course Nikon's upper end models have amazing AF and Flash so if one was say shooting a wedding it would be an argument one could win against Pentax.
11-09-2011, 04:35 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter

Nothing

To answer the OP's original question; "What's Wrong With Pentax?"
Nearly Nothing.
Most of the replies have been dealing with mass marketing, limited product line, product placement and consumer acceptance. Does any of that help you take better photos?
Ok, maybe a couple of better zooms, a few more primes. 30 lens choices instead of twenty. Faster AF, sure.
The rest is OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINION of your choice.
Do I shoot better if Walmart/K-Mart/Target carries Pentax? Of course not.
Are my photos improved by the number of people who use the same brand? Duh.
Do I need the assurance of some clever marketing blitz to feel good about my camera choice? Well....no.
If a well-known actor or athlete flaunts the same camera brand I'm using, how does that affect my work? If it makes me feel better, what does that say about my self-image?
I hope the new ownership does well by the Pentax brand and I have no problem staying with a company that makes fine products, WITHOUT all the hype, dog + Pony shows and implied status or prestige of a "Top Brand". "Top" usually means best and I use Pentax. For me, it's the best.
YMMV
Ron