Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

What's wrong with Pentax?

So I called up Wolfe's camera the other day. (This was before I bought my camera when I was still weighing my options.) The conversation went something like this:
"So what brands do you guys carry?"
"Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus."
"You don't carry Pentax."
(laughter) "Absolutely not."

I was already leaning towards the K-x and was fully prepared for the reality that if I didn't buy Canon or Nikon I'd have someone looking down there nose at me. Oh well, I'd rather find a great deal on a great camera than find a good deal on a great camera. And I certainly wasn't going to choose one because it's a brand that everybody else likes. I went in and looked at his cameras just so I could get some in my hands. But I never asked him what he didn't like about Pentax. I regret that. Why don't people like Pentax? Obviously we are all partial to Pentax. But has anyone heard any actual critiques against Pentax?

I read the K-x review on dpreview.com thoroughly. They compared it to Canon 500D and Nikon D5000 saying that these were the Canikon competing models. They briefly brought up an Olympus camera and a Sony one, but said pretty bluntly that they didn't measure up with the other three so they didn't bother mentioning them for most of the review. As far as the 500D and D5000 K-x went toe to toe and (in my mind) won the day. The 500D had a little better resolution due to having more pixels crammed into a smaller sensor. But the K-x has far superior low light performance. Anything taken above 800 ISO was clearly better on the K-x. And oh by the way, I found a K-x with 18-55 mm lens and a 55-300 mm lens for the same price I found the 500D and D5000 with just a 18-55 mm lens. And oh by the way: Both of those lenses benefit from the K-x's image stabilization. I was appalled when I realized that the Canon telephoto kit lens doesn't have IS. That's the one that needs it! All that to say: dpreview.com did have two honest critiques about the K-x. First and foremost it doesn't show you the focus points in the viewfinder so you have no indication of which point(s) it uses for a given shot. Second, the highlights tend to get washed out. (The workaround for that is just to underexpose the photo or maybe use the built in HDR.)

10-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

On the flip side, I walked into a Ritz camera the other day and asked if they carried Pentax (even though I knew they didn't, I was actually specifically curious to hear their response). The guy's answer kind of surprised me, "No, I'm sorry we don't. I wish we did, they make some really great bodies and lenses." He went on to tell me that he's been shooting a K10D for the past few years and loves it. Obviously his reply was more based on personal experience.

Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into what one salesman said (nor the way he said it) at one particular camera store.
10-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

I personally think Pentax has poor market share due to their poor marketing strategy. If you do invest in a Pentax and experience the Canikon snubbing first hand, you'll find out that you can probably take better photos than them using a camera-phone "shudders". In all fairness all the current models of the various brands will do an awesome job and it ends up being the user not their camera that determines the shot.

My response to that camera salesmen: Does Canikon have access to our Ltd series (laughter).

If your considering a Kx, you might as well add the Kr to your list. Its basically the Kx with some of the problems you mentioned fixed.
10-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You get this all the time from camera sales folks; ignore them, most of them don't know the first thing about photography. Just some ignorant kid who thinks "If we don't carry it, it must not be any good". Did you ask him if he carries Leica or Hasselblad? I suppose those are crappy brands too.

10-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my local dealer told me that pentax won't allow a retailer to sell at a location unless they stock ALL of their products, and there's also something about Pentax not giving the products on credit, so the dealers have to purchase them. Not sure what of that is true, but it really dis-incentivizes (??) dealers from selling pentax. Only the big NY stores can do it (BH, Adorama, etc).
10-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I bought my k-r last month I asked the guy in the store if there was no Pentax (gasp) what would he recommend and he honestly said that Nikon and Canon just didn't compare and what was close in specs wasn't in price and we left it at that. We spent more time talking about using my old M42 lenses than the competition.

I personally dislike products that saturate the marketplace it speaks volumes on the advertising but not necessarily the quality of the product. I want own something because it meets my needs not because everyone else has one.
10-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
my local dealer told me that pentax won't allow a retailer to sell at a location unless they stock ALL of their products, and there's also something about Pentax not giving the products on credit, so the dealers have to purchase them. Not sure what of that is true, but it really dis-incentivizes (??) dealers from selling pentax. Only the big NY stores can do it (BH, Adorama, etc).
I suspect there may be some truth to that, at least in the past. Hopefully Ricoh will expand distribution to smaller camera shops and maybe even big box stores.

There's also the issue of commission, I think a majority of camera sales jobs are still commission based. I don't know what kind of margins Pentax offered to retailers in the past, but if the margins are slim, then the commission to the salesperson is also slim. Hence, they may try to steer you towards the cameras that make them the most money.
10-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's one reason I was attracted to Pentax more over Nikon & Canon. Pentax only has like two or so DSLR's out at the same time, unlike Nikon & Canon who have like 8 of 'em out at once at any given time.

10-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My local camera shop owner told me that he does not carry Pentax anymore because they do not deal direct to him anymore, they started using middlemen a while back.
10-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
unlike Nikon & Canon who have like 8 of 'em out at once at any given time.
Yep. And what really bugs me about Nikon is the confusing differences in lens compatibility among all of their models. I had a K-7 almost a year before I thought to try my Nikkor 20mm manual lens on it; when I found it metered on the Pentax, aperture priority and all, I felt like giving a swift kick to my Nikon D40, which forced me to "sunny 16" with it. Great lens. I just wish I could lock it on to the body somehow.
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Personally, if clerks laugh at my inquiries, I do business elsewhere. Yes, in USA I expect to find no new Pentax products in retail shops. Although I must admit that I haven't looked through a BestBuy lately, whose clerks may or may not know diddly-squat about their products and who may or may not pay attention to my specifications. (If I say I'm not interested in a Mac, don't try to sell me a Mac!) I know that no-Pentax is the default position and that any Pentax gear on hand may be ancient unsold inventory. Until Ricoh rebuilds Pentax marketing, that's the reality.

But I still don't take attitude from clerks. Clerks who dis customers deserve to starve.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I had a K-7 almost a year before I thought to try my Nikkor 20mm manual lens on it; when I found it metered on the Pentax, aperture priority and all, I felt like giving a swift kick to my Nikon D40, which forced me to "sunny 16" with it. Great lens. I just wish I could lock it on to the body somehow.
You can dremel a slot in the Nikkor base for the PK locking pin to engage. Use a small (worn-down) cutting blade. Cut a slot about 1mm wide and deep and 6mm long. Depending on exactly which N/AI mount, you may need to cut the "nub and arc" protrusions from the aperture ring. I've modded a few like this. It's easy!
10-31-2011, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

For whatever reasons, there is a general disrespect toward Pentax K mount system wherever I have been to for the last 2 decades. This is true even by experienced photographers who know the Pentax history well. The Pentax 120 systems are however, quite different and well respected. My advice to any potential buyers, if you care how you will be perceived, DON'T BUY PENTAX. If you are the confidence type and know what you are doing, go ahead and be different.

My opinion is that Pentax products have lagged behind for the last 2 decades, and AF performance being the most obvious, but Pentax have been doing pretty much nothing to address it. Now, if anyone asked whether there is any genuine reason buying Pentax today, the only one I can come up with will be LIMITED primes which are unique. BUT, the majority of people actually benefit from good zooms much more than awesome primes, and today's Pentax zooms just aren't that great to be honest. Can Ricoh raise Pentax from the almost dead? I believe so. Will they? That's remain to be seen but it will be a very steep uphill struggle, especially when the world economy is in such deep trouble.
11-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Believe me or not but the camera shop where I bought K-5 doesn't sell Canon. They have Pentax, Nikon, Oly and Sony but no Canon. It can happen :-)
Look at their website:
( VK Foto | digitální fotoaparáty Nikon, Pentax. Dalekohledy, dálkom?ry. Bra?ny Lowepro a dal?í... - VK Foto )
11-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter

It's a tough sell to get chain stores to cater to the bottom 3% (or whatever the number is) of the market. They depend on sales volume
to operate, and Pentax can't offer that. compared to the big players. I think it's a simple as that.
11-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I went into the local Wolf right after I got my K100D, they didn't carry anything Pentax anymore either, but the guy running it was a Pentax shooter with a K10D. A few weeks later when I went in he came out of the back with a box of Pentax stuff that was pulled from the shelves that he was supposed to send back. He didn't have much, but I picked up a wired remote and a viewfinder magnifier.

I also went there when I picked up my K1000, he gave me a few rolls of expired film to run through it to test it and gave me a deal on processing.

That store closed down a while ago.

Last edited by elliott; 11-01-2011 at 07:13 AM.