Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

The mirror on my K-10D is stuck up

I've taken just less than 30,000 images with it. This has happened a couple of times before. When it happened before, I took the battery out of the camera and it resolved itself. This time, it's still in the up position.

Is there anything else I can do besides send it to a repair facility?

If not, can you tell me the name and address of a good facility.

Thanks.

11-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know how to fix it, but at the going rate for these used, you might just consider buying a different one. Might be an easy fix, but if you take it to a repair shop it will likely cost more to fix it than another camera. Maybe upgrade yourself to a K20D.
11-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm thinking I've got a paper weight.

The Camera is only worth about $250 and I got an estimate of $189 to repair it. VERY disappointing. The Camera is 4 years old.

I just bought me a K-5 body. I was already thinking about upgrading. I was going to sell the K10D and upgrade. Now, looks like maybe I'll just upgrade.

Like I said, VERY disappointing. I expect things that I pay that much money for to last a little longer than that.

A few years back, I had to have a Pentax Lens repaired. I'm starting to question the reliability of Pentax products.
11-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, this is an issue with cameras in general, not just pentax. Perhaps these new mirrorless cameras, with fewer moving parts will improve reliability. Tamron at least gives a 6 year warranty. Sigma gives a 4-5. I know what you mean though. I am having trouble with my little used Samsung tv. It is only 4 years old and it is breaking. The problem is a design flaw that occurred on thousands of sets and seems inevitable. Samsung didn't give a damn after it exceeded their paltry warranty. I know 2 other people with different Samsung models and they both had catastrophic failures within 2 years. The repair estimate was $400. I can get a better tv for not much more. It won't be a Samsung though.

My parents, years out of warranty, were given a replacement from Sony because their tv had a design flaw. They were given a better tv for $200. Companies should have to stand by their products.

11-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So, what makes them stick in the up position?

A broken gear?
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hambone Quote
So, what makes them stick in the up position?

A broken gear?
Here is a link to the K10D service manual. It gives full instructions on how to take apart and put back together your K10D complete with pics. Can't ask for better than that Well yea someone to tell you whats wrong, but no can do

Downloads
11-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So, what's the password to view the document?
11-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

So, what's the password to view the document?
If you download and open the compressed folder it comes with a text file with the password in the folder. Its 8639. However there is some other documents in the folder so you really need to download it to your PC open it with a ZIP file extractor of your choice and look in the folder.

11-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK. I opened it up and looked at it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. There's no doubt in my mind that I could get it apart. However, there is serious doubt (it would be miracle) if I got it back together.

Tell me this, I've done a lot of reading and it appears that Pentax used a plastic gear that is prone to break. Do they still use plastic or have they gone to a brass or metallic gear? In other words, have the eliminated the problem?

After seeing the inner workings, an amazing piece of machinery and engineering. You can tell that cameras have gone through a very long evolution.
11-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter

OK. I opened it up and looked at it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. There's no doubt in my mind that I could get it apart. However, there is serious doubt (it would be miracle) if I got it back together.

Tell me this, I've done a lot of reading and it appears that Pentax used a plastic gear that is prone to break. Do they still use plastic or have they gone to a brass or metallic gear? In other words, have the eliminated the problem?

After seeing the inner workings, an amazing piece of machinery and engineering. You can tell that cameras have gone through a very long evolution.

I did do a bit or asking and looking on this long ago. Many top PRO Canons use at least some plastic gears. Most older SLRs used metal gears but perhaps they did not have the same materials we now have and choice of gear material. Also SLRs where Full Frame and had more heavy components to move. Metal is prone to "sticking" when not used for a long time. Also when everything is made of metal this creates a heavy mirror assembly. Some metal is good, sometimes its not the last word! But the former two can place greater stress on the gears versus plastic.

Anyways our Pentax dSLRs use small light APS sized mirrors and a low friction mirror movement, you can easily move the mirror up/down; and using high strength plastic is no problem. Nor has ever been a problem that's why Pentax has used it in all thier dSLRs up to the K20D with low failures. As low or lower than Nikon and Canon. Just google it.

Yes the amount of parts in a dSLR is impressive. It is a high precision instrument! And being so I strongly suggest people consider maintenance from time to time. I think you can see why by looking at the insides of a K10D and the amount of adjustments a tech can do.

Last edited by jamesm007; 11-04-2011 at 05:20 AM.
11-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've taken less than 30,000 images with this camera.

In view of all that, what's the most likely cause of my mirror sticking in the up position?

I understand the trade-off but, I'm not very happy with having paid ~$1000 a few years ago for a paperweight.

Do you have any recommendation as to where to get it fixed?
11-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I've taken less than 30,000 images with this camera.

In view of all that, what's the most likely cause of my mirror sticking in the up position?

I understand the trade-off but, I'm not very happy with having paid ~$1000 a few years ago for a paperweight.

Do you have any recommendation as to where to get it fixed?
Becuase this problem has occured before and you could fix it by taking out the battery and putting it back in opens the door to all kinds of things that might cuase the mirror to stay up. It seems like something did not just snap or break but lost power, control and or both.

Perhaps the links below may help. But I don't know whats wrong with your camera.

The K10D is a good camera. Sure your K10D or my K20D can't take pics hand held at night or have the DR of the K5. But if you expose right, use a tripod, me and you are the real limit to getting a pic worth framing. For vacations or family pics you have a sealed semi-pro dSLR! So it may be worth sending it in; ?. If you know its history, and its never been dropped or anything and you feel its got some years to go...

PENTAX SERVICE DEPARTMENT
Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA

The above is really CRIS Camera Repair in Arizona. A highly respected service center according to most who have had repairs by them. You can get an estimate online.

Guy who fixed his GX10. Don't think I would try this! BTW you know the Samsung GX10 and Pentax K10D are one and the same, at least 99.5% of the parts.
GX10/K10D Repair - Tomelec
11-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have taken TONS of great pics with my K10-D. My only complaint is that it really struggles at night, under stadium lights, trying to take action images of soccer players in action with a telephoto lens. Even with my F2.8 it struggles.

Other than that, it has been a great camera.

I've pretty much decided to buy a K-5 on black Friday.
11-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I have taken TONS of great pics with my K10-D. My only complaint is that it really struggles at night, under stadium lights, trying to take action images of soccer players in action with a telephoto lens. Even with my F2.8 it struggles.

Other than that, it has been a great camera.

I've pretty much decided to buy a K-5 on black Friday.
Nice move. I am also feeling much more comfortable about buying the K5. I suggest thinking about the 3 year extended warranty. Its pretty low cost ($20) at some of the big internet sellers. It gives a free check-up during the two year extended time. A very good value - as is the K5 now