Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dust in Viewfinder, how do I get rid of it?

I have a Pentax K-r and I seem to have two dust/particles in the viewfinder. I would like to eliminate the distraction. As I look in the camera its not on the mirror but I think I can see them when looking at the viewfinder plate (light bounces off the mirror and goes up to a piece of glass, thats the glass/plate I am talking about). Dust looks to be on the opposite side of the plate, as in I can blow/wipe it off. How do I get rid of it?

11-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried using a rocket blower to blow it out? My K100 has a speck I just cannot blow away. Local camera store said to just live with it, just in case I scratch the viewfinder trying to physically removing it. The KR of mine gets dust on it a fair bit sometimes, but nothing has caked on so the blower works just fine.
11-01-2011, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The plate, called the viewfinder screen is removable. There should be a little metal fram that holds it in place. Be super careful if you try to take it out. Fingerprints are more distracting than dust.
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
The plate, called the viewfinder screen is removable. There should be a little metal fram that holds it in place. Be super careful if you try to take it out. Fingerprints are more distracting than dust.
Scratches on the focus screen are even more distracting than dust. Unless you are really certain you can pull the screen, clean it, and replace it without damaging it, I'd leave it in place and just use a blower.
If that doesn't work, I'd learn to live with the specks. They aren't hurting anything, and I assure you, they will return. Dust is like that.
If you do decide to remove the screen, there is a specialized tool that is sold with accessory screens specifically for removing and replacing them.

11-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tried blowing it, its a no go, so its on the focus screen, opposite side. I guess I can live with it until I get a real split focus screen. Maybe it will shake its self loose one day.
11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it possible thats its not the Focus Screen, but the viewfinder glass itself ? In which case, i'm not sure its possible to get at it.
11-02-2011, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Is it possible thats its not the Focus Screen, but the viewfinder glass itself ? In which case, i'm not sure its possible to get at it.
I think its on the top side of the focus screen, I am pretty sure I can see it when I take my lens off and look up in there.

Problem All Fixed!!

Which let me realize how easy pulling the focus screen is.
I then found these instructions

I dropped the focus screen and I used my rocket blower to give it a little puff. I then lifted it back into place and the dust is gone! Never even had to touch the focus screen, just dropped, blew, lifted. Very easy to do!

Last edited by claimed4all; 11-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.
11-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #8

awesome share! Didn't even know you change it!
01-06-2013, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
I think its on the top side of the focus screen, I am pretty sure I can see it when I take my lens off and look up in there.

Problem All Fixed!!

I watched this video, K10 Focus Screen Install

I dropped the focus screen and I used my rocket blower to give it a little puff. I then lifted it back into place and the dust is gone! Never even had to touch the focus screen, just dropped, blew, lifted. Very easy to do!
Hello .
wow that is VERY interesting!! I've been living with "dust in/on viewfinder" for some months now . . and the dust is building up . . now exactly why should a
camera that is advertised as 'weather water/dust resistant" have so easy to get dust 'behind' the view finder focus screen ?? (my fault I'm sure, must be more
careful when changing lenses . . I am 'constantly' in the field no studio work at all)
Thank you for this 'solution(?)' . . going to get my courage up and set up a work place and . . 'try' it.
Thank you . . Happy New Year to all!
01-06-2013, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #10

Problem All Fixed!!

I watched this video, K10 Focus Screen Install

Hi . . Thanks once again . . I have a K-30 . . and the unlocking (for cleaning) of the viewfinder focus screen is very easy to do . .
and YES that is where I was seeing the dust.
Caution . . 'everything' above focus screen (and below/behind/beside) is incredibly 'sensitive' to DUST . . when attempting to
get the dust out from behind the focus screen or anywhere else for that matter, a VERY static free dust free work area is a MUST.
Another thing . . that little 'handle' which you can grasp (with forceps or similar) goes on the RIGHT as you look at the screen
with the Camera upside down (left side of camera) . . The 'screen' is not fastened in place, once the 'lock' is opened the screen will
fall out easily.
Once you've actually done this (carefully/gingerly/successfully) the operation will be seen as something you can do whenever
needed for yourself.
04-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Forum Member

Got dust in my K-30's viewfinder as well. Made the stupid mistake of wiping the mirror and plastic focusing screens with an optician's lint free cloth, which is never completely lint free. Which left some minor fibers on the outside, but the specks of dust still remained on the other side, for which I have to use this technique.

However, I'm planning to live with it for the rest of the year and then give it for cleaning, it'll might probably collect more dust later on.

Should've been more careful while changing lenses outside.
04-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
just dropped, blew, lifted
That sounds like my life story.
04-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
Forum Member

Got the courage to do this with my Swiss Army Multi-tool tweezers, which could've scratched the focus screen, thankfully it didn't. Managed to blow off the more noticeable darker specks off, but left some fine fabric fibers behind, which is not bothering me so much as before.

Feels like a great accomplishment :P