Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Occupy Ricoh! Wait...huh?
What Is A Ricoh?

--

11-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
big deal, they are showing pentax users the Ricoh camera line, I would imagine on the Ricoh sites they are doing the opposite. The camera line is relevant. they could be pushing copiers
Aside from that there are a number of people on the forum who are intrigued by the GXR which won an award recently (that's what i noticed getting a push on FB BTW)
I would like to see every manufacturer go the way of the Ricoh with interchangeable/upgradeable sensor and other components instead of the digital bodies we have now that are essentially disposable after a few years...
11-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I would like to see every manufacturer go the way of the Ricoh with interchangeable/upgradeable sensor and other components instead of the digital bodies we have now that are essentially disposable after a few years...
IMHO when Ricoh-Pentax releases affordable mountors, the game will change. Start with PK APS-C and FF mountors. Then EOS and NI mountors. Won't that be fun?
11-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the hardest thing for me is the lack of new information about what is going on on the SLR front. That isn't really Ricoh's fault. They just took over and probably will have little input into the projects that have been worked on for the last year. Still, it feels to me like there needs to be a lens road map coming back and some more plugging of holes in the lens line up. Redo the DA *16-50. Make the FA limiteds sealed and add quick shift. Add a telephoto.

I know everyone focuses on camera bodies, but it still feels to me like the Pentax line up is a little anemic.

11-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the hardest thing for me is the lack of new information about what is going on on the SLR front. That isn't really Ricoh's fault. They just took over and probably will have little input into the projects that have been worked on for the last year. Still, it feels to me like there needs to be a lens road map coming back and some more plugging of holes in the lens line up. Redo the DA *16-50. Make the FA limiteds sealed and add quick shift. Add a telephoto.

I know everyone focuses on camera bodies, but it still feels to me like the Pentax line up is a little anemic.
I agree. The Pentax lens offerings seem quite skimpy, although I'm sure they concentrated on the popular range. But I'm used to the days of Asahi OPTICAL Co - where lenses were the meat of their offering. They used to offer something like 40 different lenses from under 20mm to 1000mm, with multiple choices of speed/cost at the popular focal lengths (4 different normal 50s, 3 different 28s & 35s, etc.)
When Nikon launched their first SLR (the F) in 1959 they offered a full range from 19-1000mm when they first introduced the camera. All the major players followed suit.

Of course, the shift to zoom lenses instead of single focal length has changed the landscape - but I still don't like zooms.

But now Pentax is an imaging company - whatever that means...

I bought my K-5 in spite of the weak line of lenses, in order to have a digital to use my old Pentax film lenses. If not for that I would have gone to Nikon.
11-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Pentax has marketing in the U.S.A.?
11-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #22

I have,and still own Ricoh slr bodies. I also would like to see a Ricoh dslr. It would compliment my Pentax bodies.

11-03-2011, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
What Is A Ricoh?

--
I think that's the place in New York City where the big jail is. Ricoh's Island. No, wait, that doesn't sound quite right............

11-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Really?!? You're hinting at the GXR system? With the sensors in the lens? That would make your lenses essentially disposable after a few years. I don't want to pay for 8 sensors, one in each lens. That's just as ridiculus as SR in the the lens.
11-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

there is the m module where you buy the sensor and the mount Clavius, which addresses this issue
why not a k mount, an a mount, an eos mount .....it could easily be a game changing system at least in the MILC category
It could also stay as it is now a niche for performance oriented users looking for a way to use their m mount lenses
but as a system it presents an awful lot of opportunity, and as time goes on i imagine it will evolve
11-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

A WR Ricoh K-mount GXR would be perfect.

Putting Ricoh name on Pentax brand "Pentax - a Ricoh Company" gives me the impression that Ricoh is committed to the Pentax brand. I tell myself that is a positive sign.
But I agree.... I am more of Pentax fan than a Ricoh fan.... so please keep 'Ricoh' name out on any Pentax coming SLR... (there isn't enough space on a camera to put Pentax/Ricoh name together though..)

Lee
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I understand you can buy new modules to expand your GXR functionality; but in a few years the main unit, which contains the display, controls and buffers will be obsolete. I guess then you'll buy a new unit and be able to use your old modules with it?
11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I understand you can buy new modules to expand your GXR functionality; but in a few years the main unit, which contains the display, controls and buffers will be obsolete. I guess then you'll buy a new unit and be able to use your old modules with it?
that of course is the million dollar question. I guess it depends on what is within the module versus the main unit
certainly i see no issue with the way it connects
11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Not the GXR system specifically, and of course every once in a while you'll start from scratch with a whole new body, etc. But I would like to be able to upgrade the sensor and other components like we can do with computer motherboards, RAM, etc. Heck, even if it was the same sensor, imagine if you as a user could actually swap out a broken one yourself just by snapping it in there. The point would be not that the sensor came with the lens, but the opposite -- that lenses with different mounts and even different electronics (AF, etc) could essentially be configured one way or another to work with one base imaging system.
11-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

IMHO modular systems like the GXR with mountors are a significant future path for photography. The mountor in effect becomes "digital film". Change the mountor and/or the body behind it and/or the lens in front of it. Use whichever components are suitable. The body just contains the infrastructure: power, controls, display. The mountors can contain any sensors with any mounts. I'm not sure where AF and SR go, and maybe Rictax/Pencoh haven't figured that out yet either. Do we have any secret insider information about this?