Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The Revolt is because I keep seeing Ricoh products showing up in Pentax press releases.
Can't say as I've noticed this, but then, like most ordinary customers, I don't go around reading press releases. Rioch has never tried to sell me any of their products throu any of the channels that I, as an ordinary Pentax customer, would be likely to see, but even if they did, if they were products I was potentially interested in, I don't see why I should object. So I guess I'll take your word for it that the small percentage of customers who read press releases regularly might see some sort of difference, but I can't imagine that being the stuff of revolt. Out of curiosity, though, care to post some link to examples of what you are talking about?

QuoteQuote:
In the business world there are other examples of parent companies staying out of the brand they bought or are owned by.
These are not even remotely comparable, though. The car companies, for example, are cases of a single company that has two product lines, not one company that bought another. And of course Acura ads don't try to sell you Hondas, because they are trying to sell you Acuras, and it would be counterproductive to steer you to their less expensive product line as that would cut into their higher margin Acura sales. If Honda treid to make you believe that buying a Honda was just as good as buying an Acura (and I'm not saying it isn't), then they wouldn't be able to sell as many Acuras. That's not adhering to some sort of hogh and mighty ethical standard - that's profit maximization, pure and simple. And in the case of Pepsi and Taco Bell / Pizza Hut, you might want a research that relationship a bit before holding that up as an example (hint: how many Taco Bells sell Coke products?)

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-05-2011 at 08:17 AM.
11-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
(hint: how many Taco Bells sell Coke products?)
Yes, and how many Taco Bells actually have real beef?

----
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Yes, and how many Taco Bells actually have real beef?
TACO BELL: Our mystery meat is your south-of-the-border treat!

TACO SMELL: Smells something like a taco, but not really.

TACO BELL: Perfect, if you're afraid of real Mexican food.

TACO BELL: At least we're not Crap-In-The-Box!
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

See--even RioRico is revolting.

11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
See--even RioRico is revolting.
Nothing new there. I've been revolting for a long long time. Whew. And my shoes are still on. But, one movement we'll never see: OCCUPY TACO BELL. Like, why bother?

I want to start my own mini-revolt. I want PRIC (Pentax-Ricoh Imaging Corp) to pioneer the el-cheapo CILC (compact interchangeable-lens camera), a bare-bones P&S with a C-mount for using old cine lenses (like Pentax Cosmicars). No AF. Maybe SR. No frippery. No WR. Just the basics. Is that too much to demand? Yes, I *DEMAND* it! What will it take, Occupy Ricoh?!?
11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #36
Pentaxian

You have the Q - just find the right adapter.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I do not understand the issue here. Is it because somewhere, Ricoh advertising is mixed over Pentax advertising? Where, on Facebook? And so what?
My position is quite the opposite of the OP's. Ricoh is making clear Pentax is and will remain (for now at least) a separate entity. Yes, they own Pentax - but they won't "absorb" it. They would be stupid not to work together, like integrating Pentax technology (645D) into a digital reproduction machine or something and even starting to share R&D between Pentax and Ricoh's camera division.
I see no reason to "revolt". The situation is, IMO, no worse than before (with Hoya) - but most likely better by a mile.
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't say that I have noticed anything different - however, I have never really looked either. What is this facebook thing anyway? Does Pentax have a face in a book - for real?

True, I am not really interested in Ricoh cameras - but, if this is some kind of indication that Ricoh knows how to spell marketing, let alone is actually doing some type of execution - then it just may be a some type of positive. It just needs to be aimed in the right direction.

11-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I understand you can buy new modules to expand your GXR functionality; but in a few years the main unit, which contains the display, controls and buffers will be obsolete. I guess then you'll buy a new unit and be able to use your old modules with it?
Well, actually that could be some good potential, there, if they can make a bunch of different bodies without re-engineering all the sensors and stuff at the same time. I'm pretty inclined to the conventional DSLR, but something like a GXR system might be interesting if, say, they made a variant with a really big EVF, (say, a tiltable one you could use for waist level or 45 degree, etc) erhaps instead of the LCD. (A real thing for me is that I have just that much more trouble with LCDs in bright light, ...not my ideal way to *shoot,* certainly. ) Maybe one for left-handed people, etc. I'm not sure I'd be easy to sell on the modular idea, but I think it kind of does have potential.

11-04-2011, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Once upon a time Pentax cameras had many names written on them. Over the years we've seen Ashai, Pentax Ashai, Honeywell, etc, so really what's the difference if it's now Ricoh-Pentax so long as it's still Pentax style gear? Ricoh is the owner of the brand. I wouldn't like it if they stopped using it completely, but they have the right. I have Ricoh cameras, and good lenses by them. Ricoh buying Pentax is a much better thing than someone else buying them. I doubt Ricoh will stop using the Pentax brand. They don't strike me as a stupid company and the brand is worth keeping, but in the end it's just a name and names change all the time.

So long as the K mount compatible gear keeps coming it's fine with me that Ricoh is also on the cameras if they want that. At least you will still be able to get more of it, new stuff. I actually like Yashica gear too. But I can't buy new Yashica stuff because the company that bought them killed their SLR's and their C/Y mount. That likely won't happen with Ricoh and Pentax. At the very least we'll have our K-mount DSLR's and our K-mount lenses and even if they only came with Ricoh on them that would be better than not having them at all.

I think Ricoh will develop and market Pentax far better than Hoya did. They have the experience. They know and like Pentax. It's a good match up. There will be marketing towards us from Ricoh about Ricoh products. Why wouldn't there be? But they are the parent company for Pentax and they make pretty good lenses and stuff so that's not necessarily a bad thing in the long run for us. We may get more out it eventually than we would have with Hoya running the show...
11-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Occupy Ricoh! Wait...huh?
Occupy Canikony. They are, after all, the 99Rs.
11-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
So long as the K mount compatible gear keeps coming it's fine with me that Ricoh is also on the cameras if they want that.
You mean, it's fine if "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company" is written on that small label from the bottom plate, instead of "Hoya Corporation"?
I believe that would be the only place on which we could read "Ricoh".
11-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yup. I do prefer the Pentax on the prism, but in the end it's the quality of the camera and the mount that matters, not who's name is on there. They could put both, wouldn't make me too antsy. Now if they f- it up and start making really crappy cameras and kill the Pentax brand entirely destroy the whole line via incompetence, that will make me too, too angry. I really don't think they will though. I like old the Ricoh gear. It's pretty good, so I can't see them doing too bad job of it, their recent minicams notwithstanding.
11-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Now if they f- it up and start making really crappy cameras and kill the Pentax brand entirely destroy the whole line via incompetence, that will make me too, too angry. I really don't think they will though.
I think Ricoh's goal is to eat Canon's lunch in the camera area as they have in the office machine area. Ricoh does not seem to be incompetent as a corporate player. Expect good things.
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I think Ricoh's goal is to eat Canon's lunch in the camera area as they have in the office machine area. Ricoh does not seem to be incompetent as a corporate player. Expect good things.
I'm ready to cheer if it happens. I chose among these players 40 years ago more or less when I bought a Spotamatic. Pentax was innovative and affordable. N---- was over priced and still using an external lens coupling, and C---- IMHO had their priorities backwards (as between the shutter and aperture.)

I'm ready to watch lunch eaten, and I hope it isn't pentax's. I have $15,000 more or less worth of K mount glass, and I would just as leave
that the k mount didn't turn into a historical oddity.
11-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #45
Site Supporter

I recall that one of the reasons given for the purchase of Pentax in the Ricoh press releases was access to Pentax marketing and distribution channels. Therefore it should come as no surprise that they are using those channels to market and distribute both Ricoh and Pentax branded products. Where is the controversy here?