Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Revolt is Brewing

I belong to several Pentax groups on Facebook in addition to being a member here. I want to say something to any Pentax overlords that are out there.

1) We "get it" that Ricoh bought Pentax.
2) If we wanted a Ricoh camera, we would have bought one.
3) Hoya didn't push/pimp their other (filters/glass/optical/etc) products on us.
4) Pentax didn't sell us their Binoculars or Medical equipment either.
5) Don't give in to anyone at Ricoh thinking that Pentaxians are just another group that can be marketed to.
6) Ricoh didn't buy a customer base that was fed up with Pentax products.

The Revolt is because I keep seeing Ricoh products showing up in Pentax press releases. If Ricoh thinks I'm going to switch that easy to their products, they are going to be mistaken.

In the business world there are other examples of parent companies staying out of the brand they bought or are owned by.

Toyota/Lexus
Nissan/Infiniti
Honda/Acura
GM/Chevy/GMC
Pepsi/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut

and many others.

Pentax overlords - It's time to represent your loyal PENTAX base.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 11-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.
11-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Toyota might have something to say about Nissan muscling in on Lexus....

I could argue that Pentax's tepid marketing needs a bit of cross-pollination with its other products.
11-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Could it be that their Ricoh products are ready now and their Pentax stuff is a few months off? They did just complete the transfer. They are pushing the Q.
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might add Hyundai and Kia since Hyundai owns both. I would agree that Pentax/Ricoh/whomever might do well to truly look at their line and see where they need to go; AND, that they would do well to at least ask their users as to what they would they would really like to have an option to buy. I recently purchased a K10D to cover myself while my K20D is vacationing in Arizona at the CRIS Camera Resort. The K20 has more options ( Higher ISO, higher resolution, etc) and it's a great camera. You know what, all said and done, the K10 takes dam' good pictures also. I suspect, that the differences between the K20 and the K7 are pretty much similar, and while the K5 is probably very nice, is it really worth twice the price? I, for one, could be interested in a higher resolution camera ( 16-20 MP) that just takes great pictures in all sorts of circumstances and will let me use my current collection of lenses. I really have no use for a video camera ( a cell phone does that just about as well); I take stills and I like using a real camera to do it. Full frame, medium format, either with an up to date adapter which will allow me to use my lenses, maybe.

Anyone else feel like that?

Your serve, Ricoh.

11-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I think Toyota might have something to say about Nissan muscling in on Lexus....

I could argue that Pentax's tepid marketing needs a bit of cross-pollination with its other products.
LOL.. Fixed it!

11-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd settle for a better, bigger (old-school) viewfinder on my K-5. That would excite the Pentax crowd, I think. It would get attention from everyone else as well. So much information is packed in that field now, and the matte screens seem dark already. Live View isn't convenient for everything.

As far as Ricoh plugging the Ricoh-branded items in any press release, I think it's natural for marketers.
11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I belong to several Pentax groups on Facebook in addition to being a member here. I want to say something to any Pentax overlords that are out there.

1) We "get it" that Ricoh bought Pentax.
2) If we wanted a Ricoh camera, we would have bought one.
3) Hoya didn't push/pimp their other (filters/glass/optical/etc) products on us.
4) Pentax didn't sell us their Binoculars or Medical equipment either.
5) Don't give in to anyone at Ricoh thinking that Pentaxians are just another group that can be marketed to.
6) Ricoh didn't buy a customer base that was fed up with Pentax products.

The Revolt is because I keep seeing Ricoh products showing up in Pentax press releases. If Ricoh thinks I'm going to switch that easy to their products, they are going to be mistaken.
as opposed to looking for the negative, why not look at the positive. For years and years pentax has had very little marketing exposure anywhere. As opposed to interpreting that Ricoh wants to make us pentaxians buy ricoh products, maybe, they wish, to expose their existing customers to a new product line they have just aquired. In that way, expanding sales. God knows it can't hurt.
QuoteQuote:
In the business world there are other examples of parent companies staying out of the brand they bought or are owned by.

Toyota/Lexus
Nissan/Infiniti
Honda/Acura
GM/Chevy/GMC
Pepsi/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut

and many others.

Pentax overlords - It's time to represent your loyal PENTAX base.
Are you sure the model applies.

You are dealing with luxary brands in the first 3 cases in your car comparison in all cases launched to define themselves as different from the base model, not different companies, which were aquired and rolled into one, as is the case of GM with Chevy/GMC, oh and by the way, you forgot Cadilac, and Buick. I won't discuss here pontiac and oldsmobile as redundant brands that have since died out. The same was also the case with crysler, with desoto, dodge, plymouth, etc... Too many models and brands makes for a confused market place, and should only be retained as long as market demands a distiction.

Also do not forget Nikon killed the Nikormat product line to blurr the distinguishing of the Pro oriented Nikon camera from the consumer level one, and in that way they went the opposite direction.

Also look at Sony, the Sony name was much more powerful than Minolta. Too bad they couldn't use their marketing clout to make a go of the brand.

I am not saying we shoud let the pentax name die, but please let the parent, who is making money develop the line.

as for buying a ricoh, I have one of those too, an XR-2s

11-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm usually up for a revolt but I fail to see the point here.
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If it means that they're actually putting some thought into doing something with Pentax, Ricoh is free to advertise anything they want to me. It sure beats the Hoya mentality of doing nothing with the camera portion of Pentax after they got their hands on the bits of Pentax they did want.
11-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I was pointing out was how Ricoh is using the Pentax channels to market Ricoh cameras to established Pentax users, instead of giving us more Pentax news.

If there is no Pentax news on a Pentax facebook account, then there is no Pentax news.

Ricoh news is not Pentax news just because Ricoh now owns Pentax.
11-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Better Ricoh than some other company. Up until Pentax's association with Samsung, Ricoh had been the best manufacturer of K-mount cameras. So...even before they bought the company, Ricoh had played off of Pentax's success.
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If Ricoh decided to sell a good K-mount DSLR under the Ricoh banner, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. (If I needed one, that is.) I'm not too concerned what name is stamped on the thing as long as it does what I want it to do.
11-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm usually up for a revolt but I fail to see the point here.
I was unaware there was a Revolt.
11-02-2011, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Occupy Ricoh! Wait...huh?
11-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

big deal, they are showing pentax users the Ricoh camera line, I would imagine on the Ricoh sites they are doing the opposite. The camera line is relevant. they could be pushing copiers
Aside from that there are a number of people on the forum who are intrigued by the GXR which won an award recently (that's what i noticed getting a push on FB BTW)