Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buffering

Is it the camera ( in my case the K-7 ) that limits buffering or the card, or both ?

I'm wondering if i can speed up the buffering time, as using continuous RAW shooting really slows down the action. Even a lowly 5 shot burst seems to take too long.

I currently use Silicon Power SDHC cards, but have no idea which Class they are

11-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The number of continuous shots in succession without slowing down are determined by the buffer. The subsequent rate at which you can continue shooting continuously is determined by the data dump rate, which is limited by the card speed. Typically, a SanDisk Ultra II (15Mb/sec write speed or so) is fast enough to match the camera's data dump speed. Class isn't everything, as much as write speed is - check that on your card, but I'm tipping that your card is fast enough.
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The number of continuous shots in succession without slowing down are determined by the buffer. The subsequent rate at which you can continue shooting continuously is determined by the data dump rate, which is limited by the card speed. Typically, a SanDisk Ultra II (15Mb/sec write speed or so) is fast enough to match the camera's data dump speed. Class isn't everything, as much as write speed is - check that on your card, but I'm tipping that your card is fast enough.
I also believe there is a slight difference if you have PEF vs DNG chosen as the RAW format. I think PEF is faster, but I could be wrong. PEF files are smaller in any case.
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash

11-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Forum Member

You card should state what class it is. Its shown as a number (4,6,10) inside of the letter C. You should be running a Class 10 card for maximum performance. Sandisk Extreme Cards are usually the best rated, I use Transcend cards because they are about 1/3 the price. I currently use Transcend 8gb Class 10 card and on my K-R I can rack off 13 shots (Raw, Hi-Speed) before it slows down, can see the last picture within a second and then it only takes the buffer about another 3 seconds to finish writing to the card.
11-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks - just seen the tiny number 4 next to the letter C !!

Yeah my problem isnt so much the shot time, as the K-7 rattles off clicks quite nicely on continuous, but moreso the recovery time of the camera after a burst. I have to wait for ages. I guess this is down to the old class of card ?? So perhaps this is a card write speed problem rather than a buffer problem
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Thanks - just seen the tiny number 4 next to the letter C !!

Yeah my problem isnt so much the shot time, as the K-7 rattles off clicks quite nicely on continuous, but moreso the recovery time of the camera after a burst. I have to wait for ages. I guess this is down to the old class of card ?? So perhaps this is a card write speed problem rather than a buffer problem
I would say a card problem. Get yourself a Class 10 and all should be well.
11-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Is it the camera ( in my case the K-7 ) that limits buffering or the card, or both ?
You already have some solid answers. Let me possilby answer more specifically to your query.

Buffering limits are linked with:
(1) the buffer size - the larger the buffer, the better ,
(2) the amount of in-camera processing - when you to continuous shooting, you want to kill off (switch off) any form of in-camera PP,
(3) the file size: PEF, DNG, JPEG, and
(4) the card speed - the faster the card, the better; typically a class 10 or better is recommended for regular continuous shooting.

For long continuous shooting sequences, you must use JPEG and select a JPEG file size such that the buffer output rate is alsways less than the card tranfer rate. The buffer output rate is simple the fps rate (5.2 fps for K-7) times the file sizes in kilobytes.

I shoot often in Hi continuous mode including for long sequences (> 100 to 20 shots at once). Long continuous shooting is not possible with RAW and you must use JPEG. With the K-7 I use JPEG [**] wihth a class 10 card (Sandsk Extreme IIII).

Hope that the comment may assist.

11-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys - good help here.

I pretty much dont burst beyond 8 or 10 at the most, mainly for birds on the move, or sports Moto X - so this should be ok using RAW, as RAW is all i use. I think i'll seek out some better class cards, as that'll be a good start

Some examples of HS Continuous - the camera copes well enough in this respect - so i'll take the card advice and go from there

Cheers !