Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #1

K100D super. Photo/Style Tips.....

Hi, firstly im not sure if this is the right forum to post in. im fairly new to photography and not really sure where to post.

I want to develop one style of imagary and id like to start with a similiar style to the following image:

this reminds me of a dreamy scene with the bluring adding to the effect. i can recreate this effect in photoshop with various filters, but i was wondering if there were any tips i should be aware of when taking photos.

to make things more clear i have a pentax k100d super with a kit lense. again im not sure if this would be enough to create something like the above.....if it is not then please tell me, im aware the kit lense isn't superb.

thankyou in advance and i apologise for my lack of technical knowledge :P

12-14-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a soft focus lens would be better.
12-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #3

and fog would be a big help.
12-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrionTC Quote
this reminds me of a dreamy scene with the bluring adding to the effect. i can recreate this effect in photoshop with various filters, but i was wondering if there were any tips i should be aware of when taking photos.
There is a really simple and low (to zero) cost way of doing this.

Diffuse the lens - that sounds more "technical" than it is.

Use anything that will diffuse the lens - some examples -

1) piece of mesh, eg: sheer nylon pantyhose material and a rubber band to hold it over the lens front - use different number of layers to get different effects.

2) smear petroleum jelly/Vaseline on a clear filter (UV) - you can vary the effect by using different amounts and/or different distribution.

3) get some clear plexiglass and scratch/scour it and hold in front of the lens - again one can vary the amount/degree of scratching scouring to get differnt degree of effect - also can scratch partial areas, or use Vaseline as above.

4) light diffusing filter material (plastic gels) to mount in front of the lens - you may need different grades for different effects or use multiple layers.

5) Cokin used to make diffusing filters that one can buy - you may need different grades for different effects.
(EDIT to ADD - Cokin have graduated Fog filters grades 1 & 2(stronger) which may give the desired effect)

Hope that helps

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-14-2007 at 10:39 AM.
12-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say if you're using the kit lens to open the aperture (set it to the lowest F stop, or number), put it on a tripod and fire away. The tips on diffusing the light in the post above are also good.

The best advice I can give is to get out there and try various combinations of aperture and shutter settings. Pick one scene like this and devote an hour or so each day for a week and learn how your camera reacts to the settings. You'll be amazed at how much you learn in just a few days.