Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
SR working or not.

I am having a time determining if the SR is working or not.

My hand shake could be so bad that it cannot compensate.

Take close up pictures and they look very similar so no help there.

Put it up to my ear, turned it on and I cannot detect any noise, vibration, etc. with or without the shutter button half pressed.

Any clear way to test this for SR?

Thanks

12-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Put focus to continuous, drive to continuous and let rip with a sequence of 20 or 30 shots (jpg's) at maximum speed. Sooner or later, you should hear the sensor kind of shift - almost as if it's re-centering/resetting itself. At least, that's what I'd hear on occasion when I was shooting the geese yesterday.
12-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just take two shots of some text at 1/6s, one with and the other without SR. You should see results

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

yep..what mo said...

I know my hand holding limit in terms of shutter speed, so anything past that, i know it's working

12-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
I am having a time determining if the SR is working or not.

I've been wondering the same thing. My very rough and untested impression is that the optical image stabilization in my late great Canon S3 is better than the shake reduction in the Pentax K100D. But I did take Mo's advice just now. Took two pictures with the same exposure (1/6 second), handheld, one with SR on, one with it off. Results are obvious.

Perhaps I should add a personal note. I'm neither as young nor as athletic as I was once, but I don't think of myself as having a very noticeably shaky hand. I have had great results in the past using my S3 with long telephoto shots, handheld. But I took a number of test shots just now and the two I'm displaying are representative of the averages.

Will

P.S. For both photos: FL = 55mm; aperture f/16; shutter 1/6s; ISO 1600. Used Tv (shutter) mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by WMBP; 12-20-2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: To add photo settings.
12-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
My hand shake could be so bad that it cannot compensate.
There are always other options if SR is working but turns out to be insufficient for you.
12-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

There was a video on the web showing the sensor moving.Think they just took the lens off and set a focal legth on the SR menu. Put camera on manual exposure about 1/2 second and shake and shoot the camera while looking in thru the lens mount. That sensor was moving all over the place in the video!
thanks
barondla
12-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
SR Works

Thanks so much. Took an old guy picture of 'fiber'.
Checked it under poor lighting at that and there is a very noticable difference.
Left SR off Right SR on.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-25-2007 at 01:14 PM.
12-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
There are always other options if SR is working but turns out to be insufficient for you.
Looked at this sometime back.
Portable tripod gyro.
Thought I might have to resort to that puppy until this SR in the body came along.
From what I read they are pretty noisy but they work as video dudes use them to shoot from heliocopters and get some pretty amazing shots.

Thanks everyone for your help.
12-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I've been wondering the same thing. My very rough and untested impression is that the optical image stabilization in my late great Canon S3 is better than the shake reduction in the Pentax K100D.
This thread has got me wondering about what I said above. I really do have the FEELING that the IS in the Canon S3 IS was "better" than the SR in the Pentax K100D. I say this because with the Canon I was able to take sharp pictures, handheld, with lenses that had greater magnifying power than the lenses I'm using with the Pentax.

But I've begun to think about this. It might be that the S3's image stabilization is [not] technically superior, but rather (or also) that the shorter focal lengths of the compact camera provide a benefit in this regard. We all know that camera shake becomes more noticeable in telephoto shots at 300mm than with normal shots at 55mm. Well, for the same power of magnification, the compact S3 has a rather shorter true focal length than a digital SLR. And that would mean that the same degree of shakiness would affect the shot less dramatically. The same tiny twitch will cause a 12-inch ruler's other end to move only slightly, but might cause quite a movement at the other end of a yard stick.

Or so I'm thinking. Am I reasoning correctly? Or am I overlooking something? I've been slightly disappointed with the image stabilization (SR) coming to the Pentax from the Canon S3, but now I'm thinking it may just be inevitable and NOT a sign that something is wrong with the camera.

Will

P.S. Edited this message after posting it originally, by adding the word "not" that is in brackets before "technically superior." My point is that the S3's image stabilization may NOT be better than the Pentax K100D's, but it has less work to do because of the S3's shorter focal lengths.

Last edited by WMBP; 12-20-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added a missing "not" before "techincally superior"
12-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
This thread has got me wondering about what I said above. I really do have the FEELING that the IS in the Canon S3 IS was "better" than the SR in the Pentax K100D. I say this because with the Canon I was able to take sharp pictures, handheld, with lenses that had greater magnifying power than the lenses I'm using with the Pentax.

But I've begun to think about this. It might be that the S3's image stabilization is technically superior, but rather (or also) that the shorter focal lengths of the compact camera provide a benefit in this regard. We all know that camera shake becomes more noticeable in telephoto shots at 300mm than with normal shots at 55mm. Well, for the same power of magnification, the compact S3 has a rather shorter true focal length than a digital SLR. And that would mean that the same degree of shakiness would affect the shot less dramatically. The same tiny twitch will cause a 12-inch ruler's other end to move only slightly, but might cause quite a movement at the other end of a yard stick.

Or so I'm thinking. Am I reasoning correctly? Or am I overlooking something? I've been slightly disappointed with the image stabilization (SR) coming to the Pentax from the Canon S3, but now I'm thinking it may just be inevitable and NOT a sign that something is wrong with the camera.

Will
I think you are definately on to something. I do remember reading a review of the S3 and the lens is not very long, but when you put in the multiplication factor because of the small sensor, a short lens becomes a long telephoto.

randy