Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Hmmm.

I fully agree with Falcon. If you’re not a pro, go with what you like best and can afford. After all, its your satisfaction that needs to be met, as you will be the one using it.
Yes, I agree too. And I'm sure I could be satisfied with any number of cameras out there. The problem (not so much of a problem, really!) is that there are so many good options right now it's hard to choose.

In a perfect world I'd put the FF sensor of the 5D with the colors of a K10D into a body with the features of a D300 and ergonomics of a K10D, with a Pentax K-mount. Too bad they don't make custom cameras - I know exactly what I want, and there isn't one camera right now that has it all. I don't care about fps and weather-sealing, for example, but I do care about ISO performance and AF speed. After using the K10D for a while, I've really come to appreciate dust-reduction and anti-shake - both of which aren't present in the 5D.

Since I'm not in a huge hurry, I'm going to wait around and see what Pentax brings us in January. There's also a possibility of a 5DmkII announcement around then too. Perhaps in the meantime I'll sell my FA43 and pick up an FA35 or DA40, both of which I'm told focus much faster. Can't quite give up the FA77 yet, though, no matter how slow it focuses.

I have to say, however, that the 100/2 on the 5D approaches the results of the 77. It's a fantastic lens.

12-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Hey there,
I have been using my K10D for a year now, LOVE IT. As for the coment about sky colour and the 5D. My freind shoots with a Canon 30D, we were out shooting one fall day and i took this picture below. When he took the same shot, his camera could not reproduce the green the way we saw it, K10D, no problem. Hmmm is the extra money worth all the work needed in photo software to fix?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
The Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mk II is a really good lens for a really good price. They do not call it the plastic fantastic for nothing. I will have to disagree with you Carpents. It is an excellent lens. In fact, its probably the only true bargain in the Canon lens lineup that everyone must have with a Canon system. Mind you, the build quality is junk, but there is nothing wrong with the optics or the images it produces.
Okay, build quality is one facet that makes it not on par with the Limiteds. There are other subtelties to rendering (and I disagree with the 'creamy bokeh' attribute) that simply make the Limited Pentax lenses better.

The Canon 50/1.8 I would put on par with the good Pentax 50/1.7 lenses. There are some that like those rendering characteristics (super sharp at f/5.6, good across the frame, etc.) that I don't care about, which is why I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Limiteds. That was the part to which I took offense.
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #34
Inactive Account

To each their own. There is a long running thread on one of the Canon forums I infrequently frequent that shows a lot of awesome photos taken with a $119 Canadian lens. If you want to compare it with something that costs a lot more, then be my guest. I think it stands up well to the more expensive glass myself. It is true, the bokeh isn't as nice as lets say, the 50 f1.4s but then its a whole lot cheaper, and most people wouldn't even notice the difference let alone care about it. A pedestrian lens it is not. To that, I take offense (j/k).

12-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
...Heck, I would even go out and get the Pentax K-to-EOS adapter and keep all my lenses. Oh, well.
Does it really exist????
12-17-2007, 04:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

But it sure takes pretty pictures, and the EOS mount is so incredibly adaptable that I really envy those Canon shooters the variety of lenses easily used on their system. I really wish I liked using the camera more. Heck, I would even go out and get the Pentax K-to-EOS adapter and keep all my lenses. Oh, well.
Unforunately I had bought 2 versions of K to EOS adaptors. Majority of the lenses cannot be manually focused on 5D as the back of the pentax lenses during focusing often hits the mirror of the camera somehow.

Besides what you had mentioned regarding the clumpsy menus and buttons on 5D, I found the selective focusing very inconvinient to use ...

Eventhough 5D can produce excellant images, it takes a lot time to post process as well. To get what I want, Jpegs is really no no.

However, the taste of full frame is really all about bokeh quality and higher dynamic range (so to rescue many shots).

Last edited by roentarre; 12-17-2007 at 04:34 AM.
12-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The Canon 50/1.8 I would put on par with the good Pentax 50/1.7 lenses. There are some that like those rendering characteristics (super sharp at f/5.6, good across the frame, etc.) that I don't care about, which is why I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Limiteds. That was the part to which I took offense.
Canon 50/1.8 is cheapest prime in canon line up that is capable of giving more consistant results comparing to canon 50/1.4 (But pentax Fa 50 f1.4 is cheaper in that regard).

Bokeh of these 2 canon primes are ugly. Canon 50mm/1.4 hunts a lot and back focuses crazily. Thanks to some die hards that love these primes, I sold them on ebay with profit, even I warned the problems with my particular copies. (I had been labelled not knowing how to use the lenses - Thank God for that)

Pentax limited are really great, and a 1.3X sensor to match it would not be a bad idea

12-17-2007, 04:43 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Here's a question for all of you: I just did a side-by-side comparison of focusing in low light between the 5D with 50/1.4 and the K10D and 43/1.9. I was appalled at how much slower the K10D & 43 are... after just 24 hours of shooting with the 5D, I guess I had gotten used to it.

Perhaps I should try the 35/2 instead? Does it focus any faster than the 43? It's a shame because I really do love that lens.
5D is more accurate in autofocusing than 20D per se. Both cameras do autofocus faster comparing to the combo you mentioned.

But Da* 16-50 and 50-135 could focus quite fast not slower than 5D does. So Pentax did acknowledge the speed issue somewhat.

However, Fa 43 is valued for its unique image rendering effect, tiny and compact. It is a specialty lens in deed. This lens is not valued for the autofocus department.

Canon EF 50 f1.4 has a flimsy build, autofocuses terribly and inconsistently. Re calibration does not really correct the problems. Few good copies out there really for the horrendous price it demands.
12-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
5D is more accurate in autofocusing than 20D per se. Both cameras do autofocus faster comparing to the combo you mentioned.

But Da* 16-50 and 50-135 could focus quite fast not slower than 5D does. So Pentax did acknowledge the speed issue somewhat.

However, Fa 43 is valued for its unique image rendering effect, tiny and compact. It is a specialty lens in deed. This lens is not valued for the autofocus department.

Canon EF 50 f1.4 has a flimsy build, autofocuses terribly and inconsistently. Re calibration does not really correct the problems. Few good copies out there really for the horrendous price it demands.
Well, I must have one of the few good copies of the 50/1.4. I haven't had any focusing issues. It's very snappy and accuracy has been as high as any lens I've used. Here's one from last night, in very low light (shot at 1600 and pushed 1.5 stops in RAW).

12-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
often I prefer a more candid style with available light. The K10D is very good up to ISO 1600, but obviously lacks 3200 and 6400.
That's a good reason to look at an alternative. You can use your Pentax flash to help w/ autofocus in low light (cuts down hunting reasonably), but you won't get a few extra stops so you can shoot at a faster shutter speed (and you get the VPN quirks at high ISO when you do push the K10D).

From what I've read, the K20D should give you the higher ISO performance you desire, so if I were in your shoes (assuming you don't find the lack of long pentax glass annoying), I'd just wait to see what it brings (just be aware that you won't be able to really buy it until probably March as supply gets caught up w/ demand)...
12-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That's a good reason to look at an alternative. You can use your Pentax flash to help w/ autofocus in low light (cuts down hunting reasonably), but you won't get a few extra stops so you can shoot at a faster shutter speed (and you get the VPN quirks at high ISO when you do push the K10D).

From what I've read, the K20D should give you the higher ISO performance you desire, so if I were in your shoes (assuming you don't find the lack of long pentax glass annoying), I'd just wait to see what it brings (just be aware that you won't be able to really buy it until probably March as supply gets caught up w/ demand)...
Yes, I agree that the best thing to do is for me to wait until the Pentax announcement - at least. If it looks like the K20D will meet my needs, it won't be much of a problem to wait until March. I'm not in a huge hurry. Quite the contrary, really. I'm hoping to settle on a camera that I can have for years. I'm not interested in buying the newest, latest & greatest - but I am interested in finding a camera that does what I need it to do now. I haven't quite found that yet, but the 5D comes closest.
12-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's one from last night, in very low light (shot at 1600 and pushed 1.5 stops in RAW).
Nice shot -- very nice.

Will
12-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Nice shot -- very nice.

Will
Thanks! One of those lucky moments
12-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm hoping to settle on a camera that I can have for years.
Years seems like an eternity w/ the way things are advancing nowadays...my thought is upgrade every 2-3 to get the latest "film" (the camera sensor is the equivalent of "film" nowadays)-:

That said, I'd agree that the 5D or D3 is the least likely to be obsoleted (technology-wise...not that it becomes useless) within a few years since they are both FF. However, they also cost probably at least 2x a K20D ;-)
You have to find out where point of diminishing returns is (40D, 1DmkIII, 5D, etc.). Just about all your choices will focus better in low light because of the built-in IR AF assist lamps...
12-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your Shot

Well, I must have one of the few good copies of the 50/1.4. I haven't had any focusing issues. It's very snappy and accuracy has been as high as any lens I've used. Here's one from last night, in very low light (shot at 1600 and pushed 1.5 stops in RAW).

GREAT, WONDERFUL & SPONTANEOUS CAPTURE....BRAVO!!!

Ben: