Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #46
Forum Member

For the same field-of-view with a full-frame sensor you need a 50mm lens and a 32mm for APC. The 32mm and 50mm lenses have different depth-of-field characteristics (50mm has less DOF, hense better for portraits).

12-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
GREAT, WONDERFUL & SPONTANEOUS CAPTURE....BRAVO!!!

Ben:
Thank you Ben!
12-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #48
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that shot is really good too, and it reminds me how much I like a lot of the portrait/people pictures coming from the 5D, its really rempting me that cam, but as others, I dont like the canon ergonomics. And, altho a different case, I have tried my dads 350D on several occasions and that cam is realy not user friendly, the interface is stupid and doesnt make sense and gives you some stupid limitations.
12-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually 20D has well known focus issues as well as on board flash failure and main circuit board failures. Well documented, but Canon never bothered to issue a recall, sadly. Just as they never bothered to fix the high ISO banding issues either.

12-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm the first one to admit that the shot I posted could have been taken with any number of cameras. Although I must say, I've missed many such moments with my K10D & FA Limited lenses due to the slow AF speed. This one was shot with the 5D, which isn't the fastest focusing camera out there but it's much faster than the K10D - at least with the lenses I have on both. What that means is that I have a much higher percentage of keepers. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'm sure the K10D focuses much faster with other lenses, and perhaps the K20D will be even faster. I hope so. I'm still really on the fence about what I'm going to do. Many here don't like the 5D's ergonomics, but they don't bother me too much - especially in light of the results I'm getting. I also love the lack of crop-factor. The 100/2 is, well, a 100/2, which happens to be a perfect focal length for me for portraits. Unfortunately, Pentax's offerings at this equivalent FL aren't working out for me - the FA77 is INCREDIBLE, but the AF speed is just too slow :<. The DA70 is also pretty slow when it comes to AF, and the 2.4 aperture seems a bit limiting.

I also love the FOV of the 50/1.4 on a FF body. It's significantly different than a 35/2 on an APS-C, as mentioned before, and of course the DOF is even shallower - making for some very dramatic results shot wide open.

Anyways, January should be an interesting month!
12-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's something I DON'T like about the 5D: dust! Seems to get into the camera and on the sensor quite easily, due to the lack of weather sealing apparently. I never once had to clean dust out of my K10D. Those are two featuers that are definitely lacking in the 5D: dust-reduction and weather sealing.