Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #1

Camera and lenses need professional cleaning

I recently returned from a trip to southeast Utah. The shooting conditions were dusty. It was impossible to keep my camera (Pentax K20D) and lenses clean. I'm back home and wondering what to do. There's a lot of fine dust inside the body of my camera. I would like to get my camera and lenses professionally cleaned - it's beyond what I can do at home with a cleaning kit. Does anyone have any recommendations?

11-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong forum- I'm moving this to the DSLR section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning,

Several years ago, I came back from a Navy at sea exercise and both my camera body and lenses needed cleaning - essentially from the stack gas from taking pictures up on Vulture's Roost - on top of the island. Locally, there is really no one for Pentax repair other than CRIS, but I took it to a camera shop with an onsite repair facility for Nikon, Canon, Hass, etc. The repair tech said he could do it - $40 for the body and $10 for the lens. When I came back to pick them up we had a long discussion - he liked Pentax, and really liked my 10-17. So I would do a google search on camera repair to find someplace local and give them a call....

11-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Where are you located?
I have had some cleaning and repair work done by Advanced Camera in Beaverton, Oregon. They did a great job and their prices seemed fair.

11-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I live in Seattle,WA. I took my camera to a local camera vendor with an onsite repair shop and good on-line reviews and was quoted $250 to $300, more than what I am willing to pay to have it cleaned. I also e-mailed Pentax a few days ago and received a reply this morning. Pentax recommends that I send my camera and lenses to their service center in Arizona for a routine cleaning ($80) plus $12 for return shipping and handling. I'll see what Advanced Camera has to say, then make my decision. Thanks again.
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was thinking of sending my K20D to CRIS (Pentax Arizona) for their clean and check-up, more for preventative maintenance than anything. They list this service on their web page.

If you do end up sending it to them, please let us know the results. I have nowhere local that I can bring my gear to.
01-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
My K20D was recently repaired at the Pentax Repair Service Center

My camera arrived back from the Pentax Service Center in Chandler, AZ a couple of days ago and I took it out for the first time yesterday. Everything worked perfectly and best of all, the sensor was absolutely dust free. I paid $112 (including a $12 return shipping fee) for the Service Center to inspect, disassemble and clean the camera, including the sensor; replace the bottom cover which had a 1" crack; replace the torn hot shoe FPC; and repair the flash FPC and mode dial. I wasn't aware of the damage to the bottom cover but it didn't surprise me: On one of the hikes in Utah, I couldn't make it across a face of a cliff with my camera and backpack, so I wrapped my camera inside my jacket the best that I could, placed my camera and jacket inside my backpack, and dropped my backpack from the top of a cliff to the ground below. I'm glad that I sent my camera to the Service Center and not a local camera shop because the Service Center had the replacement parts on hand and were able to do the work at a reasonable cost. I would definitely recommend the Pentax Service Center in Chandler, AZ to other Pentax camera owners.