Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Pentax K-7, FA 77 Water Damage (ugh): Suggestions?

Hi all,

First post here in a while and it comes with some desperation- help would be great appreciated! I took a trip to Point Reyes yesterday and was ambushed with a storm. I was under the assumption my bag was waterproof enough, but apparently not. Luckily, It seems like my DA Limiteds seem fine, but my FA77 is making slight grinding noises when I try to turn it (uggghh). In addition, my K-7's lcd screen no longer turns on, the shutter does not work, and only the top panel displays anything. I have my lenses sitting out to hopefully air dry. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this?

This is pretty awful since I'm no longer in a financial position to replace this equipment :/. It's kind of ruined my week since I've loved shooting with this equipment for the last few years and progressed so much with it. I'm trying to tell myself that a cheaper K100 or whatever I can afford will still produce amazing shots and this really won't make a dent in my production. I push my gear pretty hard and I knew something like this would happen someday. I don't regret my decision to take my equipment out to potentially harsh weather, but I need to take a hard lesson for this and be more prepared to shield my equipment.

Sorry for the lengthy rant, I just kind of needed to get these feelings across to an understanding photo community.

11-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear white rice is effective at drawing moisture out of electronics. Dry out your soaked gadgets in rice
11-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear. I don't know how to solve the physical issue, just dry it I guess and pray (Household) Insurance ?

I still think the K100D gives amazing results. In my opinion it stands very well against my K10D. Comparing it with a K5 is another story, but the K100D does not make a joke of itself.

Just a warning; K100D does not support SDM, so if you have SMD only lenses, they will be manual focus.
11-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #4

not be better with those little silicon crystal things you get packaged with things to keep em dry? not sure how effective it will be though if the moisture has gotten to the circuit boards though - lot of very small connections taht dont take much to get ruined

wont help much now or with the lenses but i like to keep a weather sealed lens attached to my camera just in case, then if worst happens the camera should survive anything short of a complete dunking

11-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't try to turn it on anymore or anything like that. I've heard the whole rice thing and silica gel working, which it most likely does work...sometimes. Personally, my only experience with soaking anything was putting an mp3 player through the washing machine... AND clothes dryer. Turned it on... didn't work. Left it for 2 weeks sitting on my dresser, turned it on, worked. A month or two later, put it through the washing machine again, but not the dryer. It didn't work for about a week and then randomly started working again.

Moral of the story, is have hope that something random might happen. Although I have heard to disassemble to allow it to try and remove any corrosion with steel wool.
11-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I recommend submerging it in rice. I rescued two wet HDD's storing it like that for at least 2 weeks.

Last edited by Turtle; 11-09-2011 at 03:45 AM.
11-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I had my *istD swamped in a kayak along with an FA28-105 lens. I took out the batteries, opened all the covers removed the lens and memory card and let it sit in the sun for 4 hours. It went from an uncontrollable piece of junk that would fire the shutter to a perfectly working camera and has worked flawlessly for the past 7 years

Take out the batteries and dry the camera out. Same with the lens. It may take time depending on how and ware the water dot in
11-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The biggest thing is not to turn anything on until you have done a good job drying things. At this point, I would do what the other suggest -- open everything up, put it in a container with silica gel packs and wait a week then try again. You can never tell...

Good luck!

11-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I have the K-7 surrounded with silica gel packs right now in a pot. I'll let you all know the outcome, but fingers crossed! Again, this forum is as helpful and friendly as always .
11-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

All the best for the salvage job.
You're doing the right thing for now.
11-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter

If you have an oven with a strictly controlled temperature, I can suggest you put lens and body in the oven set at 35C for 12-24h. They both can stand such a temperature and you would considerably speed up the drying process. Make sure you are 100% confident with your oven temperature though.
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Original Poster
YOU GUYS! I turned it on today after 6 days and IT WORKS! Seriously, it seems 100% ok now, shocking! SORRY BUT ALL CAPS IS ENTIRELY NECESSARY! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW. There's really only one way to celebrate: time to shoot all day! Thanks so much for the help everyone, I'm always so impressed by this forum.
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Good for you. I think you appreciate WR is insurance, I always use external weathe protection the WR is ther if the primary protection fails