Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

New camera or new lens

Looking for some advise. I currently have a K10D, with kit lens and Pentax 18-250 zoom lens. I have about $1,000 to spend. Should I upgrade my camera or buy higher quality lens's?

11-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm guessing you do mostly outdoors shooting? The K10D is still a good camera, but a K-5 will be a huge improvement. I would say sell your 10D, buy a DA 35/2.4 and a K-5.
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I'm guessing you do mostly outdoors shooting? The K10D is still a good camera, but a K-5 will be a huge improvement. I would say sell your 10D, buy a DA 35/2.4 and a K-5.
I agree...............
11-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would get some lenses first. More noticeable fun than a new body.

11-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with others, sellK10d and you could then upgrade to K5 and a good lens as well, within budget. The difference between a k5 and K10d would make this a "no brainer" IMHO.
11-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I would consider very carefully what you believe you need or feel is lacking in the photos.

If you are only shooting outside, in good light, you would probably enjoy better lenses before getting rid of the K10D.

The K10D is a very capable camera, and can produce excellent images. Better lenses can give you more, over a longer period than just getting the latest and greatest camera (although the K5 is a great camera).

You presently have 2 consumer grade lenses on a pro body (although a little old now). Get the lenses. Bodies come and go, lenses hang around a long time. once you have exhausted all the features of $1000 worth of new lenses, there will be something newer better and brighter than the K5.
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would consider very carefully what you believe you need or feel is lacking in the photos.

If you are only shooting outside, in good light, you would probably enjoy better lenses before getting rid of the K10D.

The K10D is a very capable camera, and can produce excellent images. Better lenses can give you more, over a longer period than just getting the latest and greatest camera (although the K5 is a great camera).

You presently have 2 consumer grade lenses on a pro body (although a little old now). Get the lenses. Bodies come and go, lenses hang around a long time. once you have exhausted all the features of $1000 worth of new lenses, there will be something newer better and brighter than the K5.
I would have to agree with this despite the fact that I am a rank amateur. My K20D is currently in Arizona for a sensor replacement, and I bought a used K10 to substitute for it and then act as a backup. The K10 will do just about anything that you ask of it and I think you will be surprised at how much you can do with better lenses. You might try renting a lens or two if possible and try and get an idea as to which way to go.
11-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Get the K5,you`d be surprised what high ISO can do, keep the K10 as a back-up.

11-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

There is so much truth in this, and it is exactly the situation I am facing. Get some fast glass first. Even just a 50mm 1.4 will change the way you take pictures compared to the kit lens and that zoom (which I imagine is kit quality). Depending on what you want to take pictures of you should round out your lens collection to really push all that you can out of the K10D. Also, not just lenses, get some filters, a nice tripod, a flash, etc. You'd be surprised just how far this camera can take you.

Trust me I am right where you are. I am returning to photography after nearly 3 years of not doing much of anything. When I stopped, the K10D was a pretty good camera so you can imagine the tears in my eyes when I saw one for sale here for 200 dollars. My first reaction was to go and get the new best, but after a day walking around with a 70-300 that can also do 1:1 macro I have decided that what I really need is to take advantage of the glass I have.

Also I'm secretly holding out for the K-5's successor because if I bought the K-5 now, they would announce the successor probably hours later.

Good luck.
11-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
I understand that the K5 will allow much higher ISO, but I am thinking that a higher quality lens will give me much more sharper images. For low light situations, will faster lens or higher ISO give me better quality pictures?
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dougfrey Quote
I understand that the K5 will allow much higher ISO, but I am thinking that a higher quality lens will give me much more sharper images. For low light situations, will faster lens or higher ISO give me better quality pictures?
The K-5 is the best bang for buck when the light get low. Look at how much it would cost to upgrade each of your lenses to gain an extra 2 stops because that's what you get with the K-5 (not to mention the many other benefits you get with a K-5 body).

In film days it was a no brainer to buy lenses over bodies, but with digital it's no so clear cut, and the K-5 in particular is a quantum leap over previous Pentax pro bodies in ISO performance.
11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well you use a super zoom, so there is always some compromise in image quality. A good quality prime or zoom will give you better image quality, so will better technique and the k-5.
11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

While the Later cameras, K20, K7 and K5 all have better high ISO and higher resolution sensors than the K10D, I would need to look and think hard and long about the benefits and trade offs.

It almost would be a fun challenge, considering I have the K10D, K7D and K5D (I am a hoarder and never sell anything), to see the gains made going from a kit lens to faster lenses. My gut feel is that there are the following things that a lens will gain you that high ISO will not.
- better low light AF perfromance because the more light into the AF sensor the better
- better sharpness at any aperture, because the kit lens is F4-5.6 and I am sure a 50mm F1.4 is much much sharper at F5.6 than the kit lens is wide open
- brighter viewfinder
- more creative control of depth of field that only a prime can offer.

the only time I would potentially consider going K5D over K10D is if you are where I am right now. I shoot wildlife for a hobby. The High ISO performance of the K5D (and even the K7 before that) are making me reconsider the need for any faster long glass. Considering right now I have a 300F4 (which I add my 1,7x AF TC to get 500mmF6.7) and 70-200F2.8 lenses which I add 1.4x and 2x TCs to get 400F5.6, for me the next step up in fast long AF lenses is a $3000 step. The K5D over K10D really makes a difference there, but that difference goes down with shorter focal lengths. Also, I am already sitting on "prosumer" lenses not kit stuff, so I have already made a step similar to what you are considering.

Go for the glass first, The fact is, even old glass can perform very well on newer cameras when you get around to updating.
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #14

The real question is what are you shooting. If you're shooting things around the house, a flash and a 2.8 lens go a long way in low light. Yes the high iso of the k-5 helps, but there's more uses for a flash and fast glass than low light shooting.

When I do low light its of friends and family so a flash covers that. If it is of stills, a tripod fixes that. For me, getting the 50mm 1.4 changed the game. Huge dof abilities with that lens, plus to me there is something about a prime that makes you feel good, having to move to get the shots I want.

The 70-300 4-5.6 macro by sigma was another great choice. It let me shoot my dogs from a distance (avoids them running nose first into lens) and macro is a totally different world.

For me glass opened so many more options.

Tl;dr
If you know what you want to shoot and know higher iso will help, go k-5.

If you want more options, get some glass.
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The K10D is a fully featured camera so I wouldn't worry about changing that. What is left is to invest in lenses.