Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax at the NYC Marathon

I was at the 23 mile mark (5th Ave and 102nd St) to cheer on a friend of mine at the marathon yesterday when I came across a guy using a K7 or K5 walking down towards the next block. I think this is the first time in 6-8 months that I saw somebody use a Pentax that wasn't a green or red Kr. I pointed to it and said "Hey, Pentax finally! Cool!"
The guy, maybe in his late 40's to mid-50's pretty much looked at me for a split and kept walking, like i was asking him for spare change. My wife, who is normally softspoken, said "Wow, friendly guy!"

Well, that shoots down the theory that all Pentaxians are friendly to each other!

I've always been curious how the AF will deal with trying to selectively focus on someone whose surrounded by a throng of people running. That sounds like a job for manual focus no matter what the camera brand.

11-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see people with Pentaxes quite often, but I don't stop them to say hello. That would feel awkward. I don't do it even for nice young girls with their shiny K-x.
I only made one exception not long ago, a lady was taking pictures with Da*200 and I suggested to her to try swapping it for a minute with my FA*85. It's easy to believe we were both amazed with each others lens!
11-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

You might have seen me!

I was at 4th Ave and St Marks in the Brooklyn stage with my K-5 and my 15mm Limited, and then again at 83rd and 1st Ave in Manhattan.

The AF did as well as you'd expect. It's okay, but could could be better.
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Oh, haha no I'm not in my late 40s. Just read that far! I'm 27 and would have enjoyed the shout out.