Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What to do with lens cap?

Hey guys, I'm new to photography. What do you guys do with the lens cap? Do you still keep it on when you're not using your camera? And when you're out, do you just put it in your pocket?

I know, it's a basic question...

12-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #2

Keep that lens cap on to protect your lens whenever possible. I usually put the cap in my pocket. You could glue a piece of elastic to the lens and tie the other side around your lens if you don't mind a dangling lens cap, but then you won't lose it. One of my second hand lenses came this way, and I use it, doesn't bother me at all.

If you want to protect your lenses, but don't like the idea of putting your lens cap on and off all day, buy a uv filter or a clear filter to screw onto your lens. That way, god forbid, something does happen to your glass, it just scratched/broke your $10 filter and not your lens.

Matt
12-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For all my cameras I use one of those inexpensive kits that glues a pad to the cap and has elastic to go around the lens.

My Fuji S-5200 has the best cap design to avoid the cap dangling from the cord. You squeeze the tabs to clamp it on the camera strap. The Pentax cap with some effort can stay on the strap. The beveled notch is the right width and may have been intended to make the cap stowable.
12-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fast cap

This is not a very popular solution but it is the on that works best for me.

Fast Cap | Demo Page

They screw on to the front of the lens and you pop them open.

12-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I don't see why you all need to protect your lenses that much...I keep all of my lenses in my bag, and sometimes have a rear cap on them, but never a front cap. I do have UV filters on most of them, though.

I also don't use a camera strap.

But, I do have insurance that covers my gear...
12-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi krypticide

Try this link which illustrates a solution to your dilemma. These stick-on accessories should be widely available from most good photographic dealerships or else on-line.

http://www.photosolve.com/Shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=6&cat=Lens+Adapter...nd+Cap+Leashes

Best regards
Richard
12-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I always keep a lens cap on, although I may keep it off if I'm shooting a lot of pictures in sequence. The more it stays on, the more dust, grime, and funk stays off the lens (or filter), so the less cleaning you have to do. I try to clean my lenses as rarely as humanly possible, so I don't scratch them. For some reason I am paranoid about such things, even though rationally I know that lenses are MUCH more scratch-resistant than most lens owners make them out to be. It is actually very difficult to scratch a lens under normal circumstances.

Of course, it is those out-of-the-ordinary circumstances you have to watch out for...

12-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

I just put the caps in my pocket when out shooting. I also have UV/Haze filters on all my lenses too. When changing lenses, I always put the lens cap back on (different sizes for different lenses so I can not just swap the lens caps out). If I kept the lens cap off and put my lenses in my bag - the filter could be scratched (think small desktop tripod in the bag). Just habit I guess - been doing this for some time. I do forget what pocket I put them in though.

Just be sure to clean the pocket droppings off of the lens cap once in a while. Sort of clean the equipment before going out, including the inside of the lens/rear caps.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

Fast Cap | Demo Page

We got a crap load of those in the store that we were selling cheaply, since most customers find them annoying so not very popular.
12-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me the most important thing is "just in case'. I take steps to protect my gear, 'just in case'. Clear filter, cap and strap are all most important, I think.
The comment above, that indicates no strap attached, makes me shudder. Insurance or not,, accidents happen and in a split second something may happen that may be regretted for a long time.
But then " to each his own!"
12-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

Fast Cap | Demo Page

These make the lens hood a bit difficult to put on, don't they? The best protection for the front element of your lens in the great outdoors is the lens hood. It hits the branch first, protecting the valuable part.

Whichever lens I have on my camera will not have its lens cap on, but will have its lens hood on. The lens cap is in my pocket. In the bag, all lenses are stowed with both caps, but not in their fitted sheaths. I use UV filters only in salt/sand situations.
12-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm so adament about lens caps that I kept the cap on the lens for three photos at a party last night. How's that for dedication? (It was a rangefinder).
12-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Hey guys, I'm new to photography. What do you guys do with the lens cap? Do you still keep it on when you're not using your camera? And when you're out, do you just put it in your pocket?

I know, it's a basic question...
Super glue a strip of Velcro onto the outside of the cap and onto the camera strap. The cap grips onto the Velcro on the strap and doesn't fall off.

Works for me.

Rusty
12-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
To me the most important thing is "just in case'. I take steps to protect my gear, 'just in case'. Clear filter, cap and strap are all most important, I think.
The comment above, that indicates no strap attached, makes me shudder. Insurance or not,, accidents happen and in a split second something may happen that may be regretted for a long time.
But then " to each his own!"
My "own" is with strap, no filter, with hood, cap in bag or pocket when actively shooting or have the expectation of shooting within minutes.
12-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, My cap usually goes in my left rear pocket and I habitually put it on the lens when not actively shooting.

Also, I don't use "protection filters" unless needed (saltwater spray, etc). I use a wrist strap 90% of the time, and a shoulder strap 5%. The other 5% I just grab and shoot without putting my hand through the wrist strap.