Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Customer Service Online - Video Issues

Not sure if I should post here or video forum, if it needs to be moved, feel free to move.

Since I have been having trouble getting my K-r Video into iMovie I decided to email Pentax and ask what the Best Practices are for that. Below is a transcript. I will update if I get more replies from Pentax

Me
11-07-2011 8:00am
Bought a Pentax K-r about 2 months ago. Great camera, I love it. Problem I am having is with video. What would Pentax consider "Best Practice" for taking the video from the card and getting it into iMovie? Since its a motion jpeg avi iMovie will not read it. I have converted with handbrake but it causes a codec/sound issue. I have been using a program called Mpeg Convert but it doubles my file size and makes iMovie run extremely slow (its not hardware). So basically, how do you take the video file and get it into iMovie on my Mac per Pentax?
Lets not turn this into its an iMovie issue, because iMovie is pretty much a standard for home movies.
Thank You and keep up the good work on great products!

Pentax's Response
11-08-2011 8:00am
Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We don't support iMovie or the Macintosh computer platform so I can't advise you on making your movie files from the K-r compatible with your computer software. You may want to contact Apple technical support for assistance. While we don’t support playing AVI files made with our cameras on Macintoshes, there are some 3rd party solutions that may work. I suggest you go to The X Lab Web site at Playing AVI and DivX files for links to needed codecs and Mac OS X software programs which can play AVI and DivX video

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
My Response
11-08-2011 9:00am
Why would you not support Macs? Macs are a very large market share, probably over 50% in the DSLR and Video users. Can you ask around your office and see how your colleagues import into iMovie? Also, what is Pentax doing to become more Mac compatible?

The AVIs play fine on my Mac in Quicktime. So that is a non issue for me.
My first thought is they must be crazy to say they do not support Macs. I will keep this updated as my Mac Video File Issue unfolds.

11-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Mac is still a fringe market when it comes to computers. You're kidding yourself about that 50% speculation. I think Pentax Support's response was very professional, and made every attempt to be helpful.

You're asking the wrong people for help here. Your problem is with this "iMovie" application, not with Pentax. You should contact their support to find a solution to it. I'd suggest you gather any information you can about the codecs and compression used by avi files produced by your K-r before contacting them, as you will likely get a much better response if you're knowledgeable about it going in.
11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Mac is still a fringe market when it comes to computers. You're kidding yourself about that 50% speculation. I think Pentax Support's response was very professional, and made every attempt to be helpful.

You're asking the wrong people for help here. Your problem is with this "iMovie" application, not with Pentax. You should contact their support to find a solution to it. I'd suggest you gather any information you can about the codecs and compression used by avi files produced by your K-r before contacting them, as you will likely get a much better response if you're knowledgeable about it going in.
50%, heck yeah I am kidding myself. But in the Video/Photo world the Mac % is higher than just looking at the personal computers.
I realize that Pentax is not going to create a fix for this, but in all of there testing they do, some where and some one took a Pentax K-r Video file and edited in iMovie. I just want to know how they would recommend going about that.
11-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that it is most of the times not free to join Steve Jobs hobby. There is a fee to pay for .MOV files and Pentax doesn't have the resources, nor the marketshare or the videographicdesire to make that effort.

Ask Apple why they don't want outsiders on their platform.

11-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Apple is not God. Don't expect everything has to go the Apple way. As for video editing, you don't have to use iMovie or whatever on your Mac unless you know nothing about the PC.
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
I realize that Pentax is not going to create a fix for this, but in all of there testing they do, some where and some one took a Pentax K-r Video file and edited in iMovie.
Highly unlikely. They don't support Mac OS, so they aren't going to spend time testing on it, or any applications specific to it. You won't get any support regarding Pentax employee's personal experiences, because they don't support it.

Again, you should contact the makers of iMovie about this. There is nothing wrong with the video files that Pentax cameras produce, and it's up to an application author to ensure compatibility with the various formats people use.

EDIT: Did you even try searching for this issue first? I just did a quick google search of "motion jpeg imovie" and the very first result was this support article detailing your problem. This was an additional result, and a likely solution for you.

This was the fifth result of the same search.

This was the eighth result, a post confirming that your problem is an eccentricity of iMovie.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 11-08-2011 at 10:45 AM.
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree with the above, if Apple chooses not to support file formats like AVI, it's their issue not Pentax's!

AVI to iMovie - How to Convert AVI to iMovie (iMovie '11) on Mac

11-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Agree with the above, if Apple chooses not to support file formats like AVI, it's their issue not Pentax's!

AVI to iMovie - How to Convert AVI to iMovie (iMovie '11) on Mac
I agree, it's absurd that iMovie doesn't support .avi as it is one of the most popular video format, but that is Apple for ya....