Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
I just switched from Canon to Pentax. I owned a 300D & 20D and used the 30D and the 40D.. in fact it was the 40D that made my final decision to split! Canon was not listening to their customers and was not giving us anything wanted nor needed. They were adding a few new features and calling it a #0D as a new camera!! They never bothered to fix any of the issues with the 20D nor the 30D, even those that most likely could have been done with a Firmware Upgrade! They don't bother to recall over major problems, but instead sweep it under the carpet as long as they can first!

Aside from the above.. The K10D offer weather sealed body, better feel, beet image quality, better DR, far better RAW capabilities, better metering, true spot emtering (not that 3.5% BS Canon calls Spot), etc. Oh yeah, Pentax has a cheaper price too!

The K10D is nothign close to the Rebel/XTi, that would be the K110D or K100D. The K10D, I would actually rate above the 20/30/40D cameras, more towards the Series 1 bodies, but obviously not that good, lol.

The K10D without a batter grip felt better then my 20D + Battery Grip if that tells you anything, and the 20D, 30D, & 40D are all the same basic camera. Even the 5D is basically a 20D body with a FF sensor.

I sold off all my lenses, and I had a real nice line up too, to switch over to the Pentax K10D. I did already have quite a bit of older MF glass from all our film SLRs. But the only thing I regret about switching... is the fact that I didn't do it sooner!!!

Also, Canon tends to not produce very accurate colors!!! Whereas the K10D produces perfectly accurate colors! Canon's metering is also nowhere near as nice or accurate as the K10D either, atleast not on the 20/30/40D cameras.

Wow, now this is the kind of answer I like to see. And all the other hands on experience with the canon line-up.

But thanks to all that took time to voice their opinions.

I decided to go with the K10D the other day after I went into helix camera and played around with it. I liked it a lot. It will do me well for a long time. The salesman was a Nikon user, was funny cause when he told me that, I just knew he was going to try to sell me on the D50/70/80. But he used the K10D, and said that he really liked the camera. Even pointed out a picture in the store he used the camera for. They also had a FA50 1.7, which he also said he liked better then the FA50 1.4. He thought the 1.7 was sharper then the 1.4.

12-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #17

My only complaint about Pentax is the very slow AF on moving objects such as flying birds. My friends with Canon DSLR's get shots I can not get with my Pentax DS or K10D because their AF is so much faster than my Pentax cameras.

Now my MZ-S and PZ-1 have extremely fast AF, but for some reason that went away with the new DSLR's.

Other than thay I find the Pentax K10D to be a superior camera in every way.
12-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I took the K10D over the 5D!! How's THAT grab ya?

The Canon was way overpriced for what you get and I'm not interested in paying for a name any longer..
12-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ennacac,
That is why you need to learn technique! Learn about prefocusing for starters. I know super fast AF makes it easier to get the shots, but the shots can still be gotten without it! What do you think all of us did long before there were AF bodies!? When we all shot film, lol.

But, I do agree, I wish the AF was faster and the FPS were faster for those few occasions I would use them, but, to me.. it is better to deal with those two issues and get the far better image quality!

The only camera that could pull me away from Pentax now, would be if Sigma came out with a K mount body, lol!