Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #1

K10D vs 30D

What made you decide to go with the K10 over the Canon 30D? And can the K10 be caompared to the 30D? Or is it more along the lines of the Xt or XTI? I'm thinking of upgrading from the K100D to the K10, or 30D(maybe 40D). And would just like to hear some other opinions out there.

Please just real answers, no flaming or any thing in that nature please.

12-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
What made you decide to go with the K10 over the Canon 30D? And can the K10 be caompared to the 30D? Or is it more along the lines of the Xt or XTI? I'm thinking of upgrading from the K100D to the K10, or 30D(maybe 40D). And would just like to hear some other opinions out there.

Please just real answers, no flaming or any thing in that nature please.
The answer was very simple in my case. I have a lot invested in FA* lens, so changing brands is not even a consideration. In IMHO the Canon 40D is a catchup camera to the K10D. It's only advantage in the actual number of fps.

The RAW quality of the K10D exceeds the 40D (see DP Review of the 40D). The notorious bad JPEGS of the K10D is a myth if you use the unsharp mask in Photoshop (it's all about post processing). For Example: I downloaded the test JPEGS from the Canon 5D and K10D from DP Review and applied the same amount of sharping to them and the printed to 13 X 19. I could not tell the difference.

Of course there are those who will tell you can't tell the sharpness of camera by a print, but IMHO that is the only way to tell. I just don't believe you can get the true sharpness on a 72dpi or 96dpi monitor.
12-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Of course there are those who will tell you can't tell the sharpness of camera by a print....
Thats hilarious! If you regard prints as the target output for your photographs than why should anything else matter? Its like saying you cant tell the performance of a racing car by its lap times.

A well taken and processed image with a good lens from any 10-12MP SLR, FF or APS, cannot be distinguished by sharpness or detail at ISO 200. They are all too close to call in an A3 print.

To me a 30D or a 40D is as useless as any other camera that cant stand a drop of rain or which needs IS in the lenses. Until someone else makes weather sealed cameras with in-body SR for under $1000 I will stick with Pentax. The 40D gives you cleaner ISO1600 and 6fps and greens that shift to blue. Thats not enough for me.

Last edited by *isteve; 12-15-2007 at 05:47 PM.
12-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D vs C*n*n 40D: Price, weatherproofing, new Pentax DA* lenses, wealth of older Pentax lenses which all fit, higher cost of the better C*n*n L lenses and accessories. The K10D also fits my hands better and IMHO feels better made than the 40D or N*k*n D80.

12-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your K100D is already on par with the 30D in low light, that is to say, its better than the K10. The K10 is superior in RAW to either of the Canons (or anything else out there really) with the added bonus of real-weather sealing. K100D + K10D is probably the best complementary combo where one picks up on the others weaknesses. Plus, you dont need to purchase any extra glass. Now for the flipside. If you had to choose one only i would go for the 30D . No real weakness in the camera and is a solid all rounder, unless you like taking pics in the shower the body is tuff enuff and the price is much cheaper now. 10mp is overated for everyday usage and IQ is not as good as ive seen from 6-8mp imho.
12-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
So I'm going to buy a K10D body for now. For the price after rebate, can pass up that deal. And the the K1hundo will be my 2nd body.
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

What made you decide to go with the K10 over the Canon 30D? And can the K10 be caompared to the 30D? Or is it more along the lines of the Xt or XTI? I'm thinking of upgrading from the K100D to the K10, or 30D(maybe 40D). And would just like to hear some other opinions out there. Please just real answers, no flaming or any thing in that nature please.
I certainly wouldn't compare K10 with XT XTi (I think in UK they're known as EOS350 and 400). Yours K100D is perfect match for them (certainly EOS 350/XT). As for comparison of K10D vs 30D. I think Pentax is better:
1 - weather sealed body
2- K mount compatibility
3 - perfect layout, ergonomics
4- more mpx
and we could go on and on ...
40D may be catching up, but it still doesn't have weather seals! And it costs, what, maybe 2x of K10D. That's no brainer for me, unless you don't have arsenal of Cannon lenses on your shelf...

So I'm going to buy a K10D body for now. For the price after rebate, can pass up that deal. And the the K1hundo will be my 2nd body.
Very good choice, congrats...

12-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #8

I can only say:

I passed from k100d to 30d, and now i'm trying to sell the canon to get a k10d.

I don't like the 30d ergonomically, and I hate not having IS. I realized it only not having it anymore.

The only great thing of the 30d is low noise, and maybe the 5 fps ( never used ). For the rest, accessing functions is quite unfriendly on the 30d. But then a lot of people love it.

My only doubt, I hope P-TTL works as fine as E-TTL on Canon.
12-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #9

Canon 30D is better in:
FPS
Faster AF (but I don't think it's more accurate, just faster)
Better 1600+ ISO performance

Pentax K10D is better in:
Weather sealed
Sharpness of final pictures (from RAW) is better
Colors are MUCH MUCH better (IMO)
Comfortable usage of old lenses and huge choise of those lenses
In-body Shake Reduction

Well this is how I see this problem. The choise is yours, but to me the color-related thingie alone would drive me towards K10
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Someone needs to mention P-TTL. I'm sorry but having that little preflash and the reactions it garners from the intended subject is not a plus. ch
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Someone needs to mention P-TTL. I'm sorry but having that little preflash and the reactions it garners from the intended subject is not a plus. ch
I agree to a point, but all DSLR makers have adopted such a pre-flashing scheme: Nikon with iTTL, Canon with E-TTL/E-TTLII, Sony with ADI, Olympus with TTL-Auto, etc.

My understanding of things is that straight, good-old TTL metering cannot reliably done because of the reflectivity of the sensor (vs. that of film).

I'm sure P-TTL can be improved, but the pre-flashes are almost certainly here to stay.
12-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I agree to a point, but all DSLR makers have adopted such a pre-flashing scheme: Nikon with iTTL, Canon with E-TTL/E-TTLII, Sony with ADI, Olympus with TTL-Auto, etc.

My understanding of things is that straight, good-old TTL metering cannot reliably done because of the reflectivity of the sensor (vs. that of film).

I'm sure P-TTL can be improved, but the pre-flashes are almost certainly here to stay.
I agree with RBellavance.

And more food for thought, recall your P&S camera with "Red-Eye Reduction"... all it does it throw a preflash, wait, then take the picture. Pretty similar to 2nd curtain flash in lower lighting IMO... First curtain flash intervals are fast enough that I haven't caught people reacting to the pre-flash. I certainly do not record more closed eyes than usual.
12-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a dispatch rider friend who shoots weddings on the weekends. A long time Nikon user who bought a 40D to try out, for the Live View feature. Within a week of hard use, he's already complaining. The LV implementation is slow to say the least but worse, the camera turns off under prolonged use of LV. This is coming from a person who shoots at least 40 Malay weddings a year and is definitely not a hobbyist.
12-21-2007, 02:56 AM   #14

I just switched from Canon to Pentax. I owned a 300D & 20D and used the 30D and the 40D.. in fact it was the 40D that made my final decision to split! Canon was not listening to their customers and was not giving us anything wanted nor needed. They were adding a few new features and calling it a #0D as a new camera!! They never bothered to fix any of the issues with the 20D nor the 30D, even those that most likely could have been done with a Firmware Upgrade! They don't bother to recall over major problems, but instead sweep it under the carpet as long as they can first!

Aside from the above.. The K10D offer weather sealed body, better feel, beet image quality, better DR, far better RAW capabilities, better metering, true spot emtering (not that 3.5% BS Canon calls Spot), etc. Oh yeah, Pentax has a cheaper price too!

The K10D is nothign close to the Rebel/XTi, that would be the K110D or K100D. The K10D, I would actually rate above the 20/30/40D cameras, more towards the Series 1 bodies, but obviously not that good, lol.

The K10D without a batter grip felt better then my 20D + Battery Grip if that tells you anything, and the 20D, 30D, & 40D are all the same basic camera. Even the 5D is basically a 20D body with a FF sensor.

I sold off all my lenses, and I had a real nice line up too, to switch over to the Pentax K10D. I did already have quite a bit of older MF glass from all our film SLRs. But the only thing I regret about switching... is the fact that I didn't do it sooner!!!

Also, Canon tends to not produce very accurate colors!!! Whereas the K10D produces perfectly accurate colors! Canon's metering is also nowhere near as nice or accurate as the K10D either, atleast not on the 20/30/40D cameras.
12-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Landaris Quote
I can only say:

I passed from k100d to 30d, and now i'm trying to sell the canon to get a k10d.

I don't like the 30d ergonomically, and I hate not having IS. I realized it only not having it anymore.

The only great thing of the 30d is low noise, and maybe the 5 fps ( never used ). For the rest, accessing functions is quite unfriendly on the 30d. But then a lot of people love it.

My only doubt, I hope P-TTL works as fine as E-TTL on Canon.
This is exactly my conclusion after a two weeks trial of a 30D + 17-55f2.8 USM IS.

Nice camera, better high ISO performances but I much prefer the K10 ergonomics.