Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
New purchasers wouldn't be buying one of that vintage, would they?

Your good fortune is irrelevant to problems that may have occurred later in the run. My first K-5 was manufactured in July, and it was crap. My second, mysteriously sold to me as "new" when I suspect it may actually have been refurbished, was made last March. It's fine so far, after two weeks, despite a surprising number of temporary glitches. But I just can't understand this attitude of "my camera works fine so all you complainers have nothing to complain about." People have very well-substantiated reasons to be more than usually cautious in regard to K-5 purchases.
Exactly and one of the reasons I reluctantly moved across to Nikon.

I travel a lot internationally and wanted a brand that had support second to none - for some of us that's just as important as the quality of the camera.

Nikon over here offers free sensor cleaning for the life of the camera - so when I did get a minor "stain" issue it was sorted within 2 days.

After a trip to Austria where the camera took a lot of knocks my flash stopped popping up when the release button was pressed (I could lift it when the button was pushed)

When back in SA I took it back to the shop and it was (the flash unit) replaced within 3 days, camera came back, sensor and camera cleaned as a courtesy and in a nice Nikon bag

11-17-2011, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
According to dxomark labs, which tests the RAW image quality of cameras, it is currently the best APS-C sensor DSLR in the world right now.

DxOMark - Pentax K-5
Then you have to ask yourself why aren't photographers around the world buying it in droves
11-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

My K10D on the other hand is an absolute phenom - 7 years of solid hard use in mountains and in the kids hands on their camping trips - has never missed a beat.

Pics from this cam have graced mags, calenders and all using the 18-55 55-300 lenses.

If Pentax could up its presence, have a good support structure in place, up it's ante in flash exposure then it definitely would regain my confidence in the brand
11-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Then you have to ask yourself why aren't photographers around the world buying it in droves
They are - relatively. It is Pentax's best selling camera for a long time (ever ?). However it's hard to win a 100m 'race' if you start 50m behind the opposition, which is the case with Pentax's products when you consider Canon / Nikon's vast and powerful marketing machines for the past 20 years.

11-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #35

Original Poster
Well, with all the comments on this thread, it had to be done so I now have my K5 with grip.

So far, so good just have to wade through the 350 page maunual to get it set up and then out to take some shots.

Only comment ATM is the lack of a switch for the Shake reduction as I leave it off normally and just flick it on if I need it. But on the up-side, DFS would apear to be selectable to OFF.

Bill
11-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon over here offers free sensor cleaning for the life of the camera - so when I did get a minor "stain" issue it was sorted within 2 days.
If I remember correctly, you complained about the D7000 being a "dust magnet" on the outdoorphoto forum. Guess you indeed need that service

Just joking.
11-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Because Pentax Aint the most popular

11-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #38

I'm betting the next release in the series will seek to address the K5's video issues
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
They are - relatively. It is Pentax's best selling camera for a long time (ever ?). However it's hard to win a 100m 'race' if you start 50m behind the opposition, which is the case with Pentax's products when you consider Canon / Nikon's vast and powerful marketing machines for the past 20 years.
Considering that Pentax sold the K1000 for about 25 years, the K-5 has a ways to go before it's the best selling camera.
11-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Don't see any point trying to scare or put down TS (and the K5), since he has already got the K5.
Just congratulate him on the purchase and move on....

Service here in Singapore is fine unlike what is described in SA. The local distributor willingly sends the camera back to Japan for repairs. Its a 3wk to 1mth wait, but then official Nikon service center here takes 3wks to replace a focusing screen and mount; one reason being long list of customer issues due to very large user base and newbies who send in the camera for any issue (real or perceived). The local forum ppl run into rather regular arguments/disputes with the Nikon service staff too which is unheard of for the Pentax service staff.
So the situation differs from country to country.
12-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #41

I also have owned K100, K20D and just purchased K5. I use both the K20 and the K5. I find the K5 faster, improved performance at hi ISO, and a quiet shutter. K20 shutter is noisy and sometimes a problem when shooting wildlife, ceremonies etc. Am enjoying the in camera filters. I am glad I've added the K5.
12-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #42

who's format is going to be around in 5 years? Pentax might not be. too risky to invest now in glass. Put your bias aside; if you were a new buyer, would you really put $2.5k in pentax right now?

also, mirrorless is making huge gains, nex 5n sensor is kicking some dslr ass twice it's $$, (not k5, but look at top question.

dslr market is already shrinking, who do you think will suffer?
12-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bob13bob Quote
who's format is going to be around in 5 years? Pentax might not be. too risky to invest now in glass. Put your bias aside; if you were a new buyer, would you really put $2.5k in pentax right now?

also, mirrorless is making huge gains, nex 5n sensor is kicking some dslr ass twice it's $$, (not k5, but look at top question.

dslr market is already shrinking, who do you think will suffer?
Who told you the DSLR market is shrinking ? It actually grew by 2.5 million units (2010 over 2009) for interchangeable lens cameras (and mirrors had hardly started - by marketshare - in 2009/10) reaching 12.5 million units (nearly double the amount sold in 2007). This year the figures will be warped by the shortage of DSLRs caused by the earthquake in Japan and floods in Thailand but it seems that both the DSLR and Mirrorless markets are making great strides. Actually it is the P&S market that is shrinking dramatically whilst the Mirrorless takes huge bites out of it.

QuoteQuote:
SLRs accounted for the highest growth rate in 2009, driven by growth in Asia, especially in China. The potential for growth of digital SLR cameras is very high because of technological innovations, portability, falling prices and rising interest of teens. The growth rate has slowed down in Japan and the US, while it has increased in the emerging regions of China, India and Eastern Europe.
It should also be noted the incredible growth of the middle class in both China and India (accounting for over 1/2 of the world's population) is adding massive impetus to the DSLR and Mirrorless markets.

Last edited by Frogfish; 12-03-2011 at 08:39 AM.
12-03-2011, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #44

as the discussion is how good is the k-5 I wouldn't have got this shot with GX20 / k20d

12-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
as the discussion is how good is the k-5 I wouldn't have got this shot with GX20 / k20d
Well that dude was a tottler in the time that GX20/K20D excisted

On the investmentside: Who is going to be on the market in 5 years time? Who knows, maybe Pentax is just one of them. And if you think that 2,5k is a lot of money, then Canon/Nikon are not your best friends, because you will stay at entry-level with such a small budget.