Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
...until it stops working.
The detractors just can't help themselves. Do they get a kick out of doing this?
I have had my K5 since early Nov. 2010, a very early release. I have used it every day since (almost) and have not had any problem whatsoever.

Buy a K5, buy another Pentax, buy another brand, but every one has some problems, go to Forums of other brands and see the truth.

11-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #17

As a slight side issue, Celtic Vision in Narberth, Pembrokshire - a really great small independant - are offering the K5 with 18-55WR for £759, so take your £90 rebate off that and for £669 it becomes unbelieveable value. Yes some may well say wait until the new camera (supposedly) early next year, but by then we'll be another 6 months down the line and the new one is bound to be double the K5 price as well. Go get them I say and start shooting now!

Woody
11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I use K-5 since november 10th 2010.
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
The detractors just can't help themselves. Do they get a kick out of doing this?
I have had my K5 since early Nov. 2010, a very early release. I have used it every day since (almost) and have not had any problem whatsoever.

Buy a K5, buy another Pentax, buy another brand, but every one has some problems, go to Forums of other brands and see the truth.
+1 to this.
I was probably some of the first folks out of Japan to get hold of the K5 in early Oct2010.
It is probably Pentax finest DSLR to date and a big leap in capability over any models before it.

11-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
As a slight side issue, Celtic Vision in Narberth, Pembrokshire - a really great small independant - are offering the K5 with 18-55WR for £759, so take your £90 rebate off that and for £669 it becomes unbelieveable value. Yes some may well say wait until the new camera (supposedly) early next year, but by then we'll be another 6 months down the line and the new one is bound to be double the K5 price as well. Go get them I say and start shooting now!

Woody
That's a very good price. I am getting mine from SRSMicrosystems at £729 for the body with an 8gig card and 2 yrs warrenty.

When they get stock in that is!
11-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IQ, on the other hand, is pretty much best-in-class.
That's what I am really interested in. Not bothered (Yet - you can never tell!) about movie modes.

I have an istD, a K10 and K20 and all have been bullet proof although I have not put 10s of thousands of clicks on them so I am hoping the K5 will be the same.

My next upgreade will - of course - be the semi - pro (5D clone) FF released in February along side the new APS-C K5 replacement to go in Pentax's top line range.

Coming in September will be the Kr replacement and the long awaited K200 replacement that will complete Pentax's four model DSLR line up.

This would give Beginer, Advanced, Enthusiast, and Semi pro level tools.

Well, a man can dream can'r he?
11-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah it's a pretty big upgrade- the K20 is slow and sluggish in comparison.

The only thing that the K-5 hasn't impressed me with is its video mode. IQ, on the other hand, is pretty much best-in-class.
Adam, actually, if they offered a version w/o the video mode, I would have bought it instead. We already have a great video camera.

11-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
Forum Member

According to dxomark labs, which tests the RAW image quality of cameras, it is currently the best APS-C sensor DSLR in the world right now.

DxOMark - Pentax K-5
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yeah it's a pretty big upgrade- the K20 is slow and sluggish in comparison.

The only thing that the K-5 hasn't impressed me with is its video mode. IQ, on the other hand, is pretty much best-in-class.
Who is the lady on here who shoots a lot of video with the K5 and won't touch Nikon because of some issues that make the video unusable in her eyes (her husband has the D7000) ?
11-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote

Woody
I paid £850 for my first K5 and last week I paid £568 for my second. However for what it is even the original price is good value for money.
11-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote

My next upgreade will - of course - be the semi - pro (5D clone) FF released in February along side the new APS-C K5 replacement to go in Pentax's top line range.

Coming in September will be the Kr replacement and the long awaited K200 replacement that will complete Pentax's four model DSLR line up.

This would give Beginer, Advanced, Enthusiast, and Semi pro level tools.
I know you said it in jest however :

The K5 is an enthusiast level camera ? So what is the 7D or the D300s ? There are a lot of pros our there using the K5 - so what does that mean ? IMHO it's camera that covers many fields, you can't classify it by price alone and it's DR, low noise, colour depth, WR etc. mean it can certainly hang with the big boys.
11-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
...until it stops working.
..... and if that happens (as it did to me) then you just get it fixed as you would your TV, Car, Computer etc. That didn't stop me buying a second K5 last week to go with the one that was repaired. Wonderful camera.
11-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I know you said it in jest however :

The K5 is an enthusiast level camera ? So what is the 7D or the D300s ? There are a lot of pros our there using the K5 - so what does that mean ? IMHO it's camera that covers many fields, you can't classify it by price alone and it's DR, low noise, colour depth, WR etc. mean it can certainly hang with the big boys.
Well, almost in jest. I hope the K5 is as good as all say - waiting at home for mine now - and I am sure people will use it profesionally indeed I am hoping to sell some stuff from it myself

What I meant was that I think Pentax should have a 4 camera DSLR range with such deliniations.

Landscapers / studio shooters would use the FF, sports / wildlife shooters would use the APS-C Enthusiast / Smi Pro bodies I am sure to get the reach from cheaper lenses - or more reach from expensive lenses so yes, you can't differentiate on price / spec alone. but people being people wold look at this range and have no issues in starting at the bottom when learning as they can see that there is a progression through and up the range. When thay get to the top, they will notice that the edges are very blurred between the levels of camera but - too late! Pentax has them!

Bill
11-17-2011, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
New purchasers wouldn't be buying one of that vintage, would they?

Your good fortune is irrelevant to problems that may have occurred later in the run. My first K-5 was manufactured in July, and it was crap. My second, mysteriously sold to me as "new" when I suspect it may actually have been refurbished, was made last March. It's fine so far, after two weeks, despite a surprising number of temporary glitches. But I just can't understand this attitude of "my camera works fine so all you complainers have nothing to complain about." People have very well-substantiated reasons to be more than usually cautious in regard to K-5 purchases.
11-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
But I just can't understand this attitude of "my camera works fine so all you complainers have nothing to complain about." People have very well-substantiated reasons to be more than usually cautious in regard to K-5 purchases.
Difficult to comment upon reliability or otherwise of the K-5 but the point about complainers needed saying.
Chhayanat.