Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I love my istDS but...

Some of its quirks are beginning to irk me a little. The amount of time that it takes to write to card and its relatively noisy (not that big of an issue) and I do not have the option of taking video. I have two Pentax film bodies and the DS and want to remain with Pentax. What is a good option, new or used, in the $500 range that will allow me good ISO range, lower noise and good video?

11-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can probably get a good deal on a k-x, which goes for around 350ish used. There's also the k-r, which occasionally pops up at around 500ish used.
11-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed, watch out for used K-x deals - I just picked one up on ebay with both the kit lens and the 55-300mm for only $450 shipped.
11-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep. The K-x is a very capable little camera with excellent high ISO performance & good video. I love mine. I snagged my white K-x with a KatzEye OptiBrite screen for $400 on the forum.

11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K-x will not be less noisy in operation (shutter noise) and K-7 is not so much better in ISO performance. I'm afraid the only cure for both the problems is K-5. But it is a hell of a cure!
11-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I disagree, If you've been using a *ist, you'll be delighted with a K-x. I went from *ist to a k100D to a K-x. I'm using a K20D for the most part, and I'd add that to the mix, and I have seen k20d's for under $500, but there's absolutely no way you need to go to a K-5. I'm curious though when you say "noisey" are you meaning the mirror slap, or the noise in high ISO photographs. If you're talking noise in high ISO photographs, again, you'll find the K-x wonderful compared to a *ist.
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I disagree, If you've been using a *ist, you'll be delighted with a K-x. I went from *ist to a k100D to a K-x. I'm using a K20D for the most part, and I'd add that to the mix, and I have seen k20d's for under $500, but there's absolutely no way you need to go to a K-5. I'm curious though when you say "noisey" are you meaning the mirror slap, or the noise in high ISO photographs. If you're talking noise in high ISO photographs, again, you'll find the K-x wonderful compared to a *ist.
A little of both actually. Picture noise and mechanical noise. That being said, the ist DS takes wonderful photos but the #1 complaint is the write time. It is so incredibly long that second or third shots are often missed because its still writing to the card.

11-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If I was looking to replace my DS, I would probably go with the K-R. I use the Auto Focus Points in the viewfinder all of the time and not having those (KX) would drive me nuts. Even if the KX has better high ISO than the K-R, the K-R would still be a major ISO improvement over the DS.

Tim
11-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The ISO ratings arent that big of an issue to me. I am in the lower ISO more than the high. I would love to get to 100 for the really bright areas as I do more shooting at daytime than I do at night. I dont think I have ever gone higher than 800. Whatre the auto focus points? Are those the red dots and the little hexagram that pops up at the bottom of the viewfinder if its focused (I never use AF).
11-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What kind of card are you using? The DS is actually faster than most other similar models, since it has a relatively large buffer. Write times are not normally an issue until you fill the buffer.
11-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
8 GB SD. A normal shot will save quickly but once you start to elongate the shutter timing, saves take forever.
11-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

So you probably do not complain about write time, but about DFS (dark frame subtraction) processing time. The long exposure noise reduction method. It can be switched off on some DSLR, such as K-5. Perhaps on others too, but I let those with more experience answer this.
11-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, there will be no real gain in upgrading to a different body?
11-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
Whatre the auto focus points? Are those the red dots and the little hexagram that pops up at the bottom of the viewfinder if its focused (I never use AF).
If you are 100% manually focusing, you will not see the 11 auto focus points in the viewfinder.

A better question for you is Which upgrade has the write speed you want and a viewfinder as good or better than the DS. The DS has a Pentaprism, as does the K-5. The K-R has a Pentamirror (supposedly not as good for manual focus).

Tim
11-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What kind of card are you using? With my ds it seems that the delay between shots isn't much longer inbetween shots but you have to account for the actual shutter time. Are you shooting with it set in continious mode? Try shooting longer exposure in manual focus mode (so you are not waiting for the camera to focus lock as that can be partially a lens issue). You are not trying to get good shots in manual focus for this test, just see how fast it can shoot. The card won't help till the camera buffer fills up, but you could try a sandisk ultra 2 card just to rule it out. I have tried several cards including some that benchmark faster than the ultra 2, and it seems the sandisk ultra 2 is close to matching the cameras fastest performance.