Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ooops-stuck lens K10D

I was feeling pretty smug about my brand new k10d, just made my first post here recently, and had even tried my favorite old SMC Pentax lenses on it already for manual use, which worked fine. Until the cheap Super Paragon 35-200 tonite, a cheapy from an old Pentax film camera....I thought I was about to blow a gasket. The lens was stuck tight and would not come off.

A whole bunch of internet research here on Pentax Forum defined the problem, and a whole bunch of feeler gauges later, after I found the right AF pin that was jamming it all up, down by the MF/AF switch (switch turned to AF). But I tried everything, even my most subtle jiggles of the lens while trying to jimmy the lens' AF pin with the feeler gauges. Nothing worked.

One of my buddies from town tonite who is a pro mentioned the "Ritz Camera Repair Dept. fix." I couldn't find any such thing online......but I tried it and it worked. No idea if it has anything to do with Ritz Camera's repair dept at all. He said, the K10d is built like a tank, of mettalurgically sound materials. Your crappy lens is built of pot metal--just force it. The K10 will be fine, the lens will suffer.

I don't recommend that anyone try this....but I have to say that anyone that knows a K-mount lens, knows how it's supposed to feel ,right before it comes loose or hooks in. I just forced it -with a hard twist- PING. The sheared AF pin from the cheap AF lens hit the floor as soon as the lens released and came off. The lens works fine now, and so does my brand new K10D with my real lens. But I'll be darned sure in the future to check for that kind of stuff before popping a random 'pentax-mount' lens on my new camera!

DAN

12-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danbob Quote
I was feeling pretty smug about my brand new k10d, just made my first post here recently, and had even tried my favorite old SMC Pentax lenses on it already for manual use, which worked fine. Until the cheap Super Paragon 35-200 tonite, a cheapy from an old Pentax film camera....I thought I was about to blow a gasket. The lens was stuck tight and would not come off.

A whole bunch of internet research here on Pentax Forum defined the problem, and a whole bunch of feeler gauges later, after I found the right AF pin that was jamming it all up, down by the MF/AF switch (switch turned to AF). But I tried everything, even my most subtle jiggles of the lens while trying to jimmy the lens' AF pin with the feeler gauges. Nothing worked.

One of my buddies from town tonite who is a pro mentioned the "Ritz Camera Repair Dept. fix." I couldn't find any such thing online......but I tried it and it worked. No idea if it has anything to do with Ritz Camera's repair dept at all. He said, the K10d is built like a tank, of mettalurgically sound materials. Your crappy lens is built of pot metal--just force it. The K10 will be fine, the lens will suffer.

I don't recommend that anyone try this....but I have to say that anyone that knows a K-mount lens, knows how it's supposed to feel ,right before it comes loose or hooks in. I just forced it -with a hard twist- PING. The sheared AF pin from the cheap AF lens hit the floor as soon as the lens released and came off. The lens works fine now, and so does my brand new K10D with my real lens. But I'll be darned sure in the future to check for that kind of stuff before popping a random 'pentax-mount' lens on my new camera!

DAN
You probably had a Ricoh mount. They have an extra pin in there somewhere that causes these probems. I would never have thought about using brute force on my new baby, though.
12-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Boy have you GOT guts. Glad everything worked-out for you though.
12-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'll be photographing birds all winter, JC, and will indeed send some photos to the bird site.
DAN

12-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm glad you solved the problem with a happy ending. In the future, you may want to refer to this. :-)
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

I just got a non-DSLR Sears lens stuck on my K200D less than 2 hours after I received it. I was sweating it, but I am SOOOOO glad I found this site and this thread. I used the feeler-gauge method and got the lens free very quickly. I plan to give that lens to a friend that I gave my Pentax film SLR to - it will work just fine for her, but I don't need the hassles. Thanks for those that started this link and for the answers... saved me some headaches!!
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Lens stuck on K10D

In march, my wife and I were in San Diego to take a cruise. The day before we sailed, I was taking pictures from our hotel balcony, overlooking the bay. I put my cheap 500mm, t-mount lens onto the K10D.

I noticed that it was not seated correctly and that the focus markings were not on top, as they should be. I had mounted the lens about a third of a turn off-kilter.

Panic began to set in when I tried to remove the lens. It would not come off. I could unscrew the lens from its t-mount adapter, but that didn't really help. I found a camera shop a few blocks away and asked if they could help.

Basically, after much fiddling around, one of the guys suggested that, as someone else said, the camera mount is built like a tank and I should just force it. That's what I did. Its hard to describe, but I was able to start the lens out of the mount, but then it got hung up on something. At that point, I figured, "what the heck, the camera is not useable as is", and gave it a good yank, while prying the lens out with a flat-bladed screwdriver. The lens popped right out.

I can see absolutely no damage to the camera mount. There is slight bending of one of the "ears" on the t-mount adapter, but it doesn't interfere with its use.

I can vouch for the strength of the lens mount used on the K10D. I can't imagine doing that with some of the plastic lens mounts used on some entry-level DSLRs.

08-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The first and last time I used a screw-mount adapter on my (then new) K10D, it got stuck. I eventually got it off, but sheared a piece of the adapter, which I tossed in the trash. There are enough K mount lenses out there that I don't need to hassle with screw mount. I know the vast majority of people don't have problems, but I don't need that worry.

Glad your story ended well.
08-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
The first and last time I used a screw-mount adapter on my (then new) K10D, it got stuck. I eventually got it off, but sheared a piece of the adapter, which I tossed in the trash. There are enough K mount lenses out there that I don't need to hassle with screw mount. I know the vast majority of people don't have problems, but I don't need that worry.

Glad your story ended well.
My lens philosophy with K10D
  1. If it says Pentax (or Asahi Pentax) on the lens, its OK
  2. If it says Pentax (or Asahi Pentax) on the adapter, its OK.
  3. If it says ANYTHING else on ANYTHING else, it better darned well look EXACTLY like a Pentax lens mount or it doesn't get mounted
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Inactive Account

My thought was, "Well.... Darn. Now what do I do?" Well, duh. Search this forum! Thank y'all! A 0.2mm feeler gauge got my 80-200 CPC lens off. Then I removed its pin and the pin on my 28-85 lens. So when did feeler gauges first become necessary camera accessories?

Come to think of it, iboth lenses are labelled "KR" on the aperture rings. That wouldn't happen to mean K-Ricoh, would it? The two lenses worked fine on my SuperProgram for a good number of years. Tumbling down the snow on Tuckerman Ravine with the camera around my neck might've bruised them a bit, though.

Again, I'm glad I found my way here!

N
08-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by fest3er Quote
Come to think of it, iboth lenses are labelled "KR" on the aperture rings. That wouldn't happen to mean K-Ricoh, would it? The two lenses worked fine on my SuperProgram for a good number of years.
Actually, it means excatlly that!
And Super Program has KA mount, while RK lenses are stucking on KAF and KAF2 due to drive-shaft hole, which KA doesn't have
08-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Jus remind me not to lend you "brute force" boys any of my kit

Seriously I'm glad it worked for you.
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

El cheapo lenses are good for el cheapo bodies.
My first SLR sustained dings and bangs all over from my trip to Kenya - then the $10 lens's mount screws started to come loose and jam the lens on the body the same way. Brute strength saw the beloved Ricoh XR10 suffer an almost near-death experience.
08-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #14

Not a pretty picture!!!

I know that this thread is a little old, but I will be damned if the same thing didn't happen to me yesterday. Put a cheapo lens on that I though said P/K and it got stuck. Lens said KR. Had to buy the lens as it wouldn't come off the camera at the thrift store. All I was thinking was f***! I wasn't as gentle as some of you where, but I also didn't want to screw up my only camera. Not really in the financial position to get another camera. At first I was really gentle, knowing that the rear element would keep crap out of the body. When I got it down to just the frame, it popped out easily, with a pull at a downward angle. Camera is no different after the operation. If you look around the parts, you will see my three favorite tools for the job. Cool thing is that the rear element works great as a jewelers loop.

08-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Looks like some of those parts would be good candidates for wrist bands. Sell them on line and you could recoup the costof the lens.