Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

White K-x owners - discolored body panels?

I recently got a White K-x in new condition, I really like everything about the camera but have been bothered with the way the top/rear half of the camera plastics are different from the front half. I wanted to see if other owners can comment and if theirs is like that too, or they never noticed it, because on mine, it seems to be very noticeable.

The camera was new, and not refurbished or ever repaired. The top half and rear seems more like a pearl white and glossy, while the front half look more like a matte white. I have noticed very minor color difference in pictures I have seen online, but not as much as mine.

Last edited by 02insight; 11-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.
11-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't speak for the K-x but...

My white K-r is definitely more homogenous in color than your K-x. However, given the fact that Pentax has manufactured these models in such a variety of colors, I am not surprised to see one like yours. IMHO yours doesn't look bad. Still pretty subtle.
11-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It is still a good looking camera. When I have mine, I recall a minor difference between the top plate and bottom white cover. I will consider it a minor issue. What frequently happens in the K-x model is the peeling of the silver strip around the top plate area. You see a quite a lot of K- x with broken and peeling silver strip. And I think Pentax notice it and you don't see this silver strip in K-r.

Cheers,
Hin
11-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't noticed discoloration on my white K-x, but it wouldn't bother me as long as it didn't go all yellow or something. I do have some silver strip peeling going on, though. (They should've left that bit off of the camera, IMO.) I think yours looks quite good to me. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's first and foremost, a tool. And your K-x is a mighty good tool for taking great photos.

11-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #5

The color difference is delinetly there on yours,but i havent noticed it on mine. One observation i have though is I don't know if the finish is painted on or is just the color of the plastic,but my metal strap buckles havent managed to wear off the finish yet. It seems pretty robust to me.
11-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
I dont like it because it makes it look like its cheaply put together. Sort of like how a car may look after a panel being repainted will look different from the rest of the car, and just wont look right.

Overall I like the camera, but the reason I got the white one and paid more vs a black one, is because of the way it looks, and if it doesn't look right, then I could have just got a black one for cheaper.
11-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Can you send it back for a refund?

QuoteOriginally posted by 02insight Quote
I dont like it because it makes it look like its cheaply put together. Sort of like how a car may look after a panel being repainted will look different from the rest of the car, and just wont look right.

Overall I like the camera, but the reason I got the white one and paid more vs a black one, is because of the way it looks, and if it doesn't look right, then I could have just got a black one for cheaper.
Can you send it back for a refund? You might want to consider a K-r if you can. It is currently still in production and has visible auto focus points, both unlike the K-x.

P.S. I like the white K-r (and K-x for that matter) too. Stormtrooper White as some call it.
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
I asked the seller, but he wont take it back, because there isnt really a issue with the camera, Its just cosmetic. Overall the camera is in near mint condition really. Just for some reason these panels have a little too much color variation. Probably during manufacturing, pentax used different batches of plastics on it.

does anyone know if Pentax sells body plastics for these cameras separately ?

anyone else with a white k-x who doesnt mind this slight variation want to trade? I dont mind a higher shutter count, Mine has around 2k clicks.

11-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #9

Sure looks like the company that supplies Pentax goofed up on their molding compounds. This should of been caught at the molding factory, or at assembly, but not by the consumer. Just curious though, is the lower part of the camera more textured than the upper? Only asking because this is the area of the camera that picks up whatever is on you hands and fingers, more so than the top of the camera. Buy the way, I still like the camera. IMO function overrides vanity. I'd find the big swinging di*k at Pentax and voice your concern.
If I bought a new car and 1 fender was fire engine red, and the rest of the car was a different shade I bet the dealer would make it right.

Last edited by jcamero; 11-13-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added text.
11-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
the texture is same throughout. Its mostly the front plastic is more of a pure white, while the rest of the camera is more of a pearl white, with a yellow tint to it

sort of like this image:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachments/general-discussions/10346d106324734...ite-whitez.jpg
11-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Parts may have been from different color batches when the plastic was poured into the molds. End of one and beginning of another. Slight variations occur when mixing different batches.
I believe the color is mixed into the plastic.
QuoteOriginally posted by 02insight Quote
Sort of like how a car may look after a panel being repainted will look different from the rest of the car, and just wont look right.
Try looking at new automobiles. the plastic bumpers don't match the metal body of the cars. In saturn even the plastic body panels dont often match each other. When you have paint work done to you car a decent painter will blend the panels so a match is achieved. As far as that goes look at the new camero the doors don't match the fenders or quarter panels
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #12

This may not help, and I'm not making an attempt to marginalize your situation, but one way of looking at it is that yours is unique. I wouldn't trade a working camera for anything, but admit looks are important to some, me included, which is why I bought my wife a white k-x. I'm having trouble with it right now as the PNY Professional 8gb cl10 card is corrupting some files. I strongly believe it is the card and not the camera, and will confirm this using a Sandisk card soon.

Back on your topic, I also notice a slight variation in color on ours, but it seems it's more in the finish than in the color. The white kit lens seems to have more of a variation in tone than the panels on the body. Ours is almost two years old.

Again, you own one of the best cameras ever made. I wouldn't part with ours without a very good reason.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Bill
11-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine also has a slight colour difference. Nothing that I'd really noticed without looking at it. No big deal.