Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
crippled K mount

Here is a question for you, Pentax historians: when did the K mount become "crippled", making the use of K or M lenses less easy? was the change necessary? and are we likely to see an un-crippled mount again on a new body in the digital era? Thank you.

11-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K mount became "crippled" in the late '90s. The low end MZ/ZX series introduced the "crippled" KAF mount in a cost cutting measure. It carried over to the *ist and to the dslrs. I still don't know why the high-end dslrs still have the "crippled" mount.

Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The change was not relevant to current production because the aperture sensing lever became redundant with the introduction of the pentax program plus and the KA mount in about 1983. They held comparability for a very long time after that.( about 15 years) It is a question of how long you maintain the functionality backwards to old lenses
11-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What is meant by "crippled."

11-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
What is meant by "crippled."
It lacks the mechanical link to read manual aperture settings
11-13-2011, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The change was not relevant to current production because the aperture sensing lever became redundant with the introduction of the pentax program plus and the KA mount in about 1983. They held comparability for a very long time after that.( about 15 years) It is a question of how long you maintain the functionality backwards to old lenses
Because the only mode a camera needs is P? The aperture sensing lever didn't become redundant until the body let the user select aperture in some other way than on the lens, which I think was somewhere in the Z series. In the 90's, that is.

And the last camera they introduced that could only manually select aperture on the lens was introduced in 2001 (the MZ-S), which shows they've been crazy with this for a while. (This was after they started making lenses without aperture rings.)

Oh, and the FA85 soft (introduced in 1996, in production until 2004) didn't have an A setting. So no, it really wasn't redundant even when they removed it.
10-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry for being a Complete noob on the subject, but im new to the Pentax brand.
So as i understand it,, this "Crippling" is only of concern to ones using older Manual focus K-mount lenses? correct?

So , for example if i were to mount an older MF k-mount lens, oh say like a 500mm MR or a samyany 85mm, despite the manufacturer, then i would experience the "crippling"?
10-17-2013, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Sorry for being a Complete noob on the subject, but im new to the Pentax brand.
So as i understand it,, this "Crippling" is only of concern to ones using older Manual focus K-mount lenses? correct?

So , for example if i were to mount an older MF k-mount lens, oh say like a 500mm MR or a samyany 85mm, despite the manufacturer, then i would experience the "crippling"?
Lenses that don't have an 'A' setting can not communicate aperture to the camera. This is why the mount is 'crippled'. The current Samyang 85mm f/1.4 is an 'A' lens so the camera can set the aperture. A 500mm mirror lens has a fixed aperture and doesn't communicate aperture to the camera. The original SMC Pentax and M series lenses need to use stop down metering in M mode as do any third party lenses lacking the 'A' contact (this includes all Ricoh Rikenon lenses).

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

10-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Lenses that don't have an 'A' setting can not communicate aperture to the camera. This is why the mount is 'crippled'. The current Samyang 85mm f/1.4 is an 'A' lens so the camera can set the aperture. A 500mm mirror lens has a fixed aperture and doesn't communicate aperture to the camera. The original SMC Pentax and M series lenses need to use stop down metering in M mode as do any third party lenses lacking the 'A' contact (this includes all Ricoh Rikenon lenses).

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
That is very helpful, thank you.