Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dead battery - mea culpa

Here i have this lovely k10d, complete with grip. Last night I went to our annual bridge party, and took a dozen or so snaps, just because I've got this new toy, and I wanted to do it. Cranked 'er up to 1600 ISO (they are going on the bridge web site - never see the noise anyway) mounted the DA* 16-50 and went to the party.

This am I got up, and wanted to review my pics before loading them - and the batteries were not home. Neither of them. A careful look showed that the dummy typing this did not turn off the main switch on the camera went he stagg--- er, went to bed. This is the same dummy that had turned the [auto off] to [off] the other day when he wanted to keep some special settings for a couple of hours while taking Xmas lights.

Glad I wasn't scheduled to do a wedding this am!

12-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Here i have this lovely k10d, complete with grip. Last night I went to our annual bridge party, and took a dozen or so snaps, just because I've got this new toy, and I wanted to do it. Cranked 'er up to 1600 ISO (they are going on the bridge web site - never see the noise anyway) mounted the DA* 16-50 and went to the party.

This am I got up, and wanted to review my pics before loading them - and the batteries were not home. Neither of them. A careful look showed that the dummy typing this did not turn off the main switch on the camera went he stagg--- er, went to bed. This is the same dummy that had turned the [auto off] to [off] the other day when he wanted to keep some special settings for a couple of hours while taking Xmas lights.

Glad I wasn't scheduled to do a wedding this am!
Well one of the things I loved about my old Pentax K2 was that it was fully mechanical as well as fully automatic. If the battery was dead the only functions you lost were shutter speeds beyond 1 second, and the light meter. They only made it for a couple of years I usually never bothered to carry extra batteries because I knew I could keep right on taking photos if the batteries crapped out. Hardly the case with these electronic marvels today. Need to carry a couple of them to increase the odds of having one that works.
12-16-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I foolishly sold my KX some years ago. The only electronic thing in it was the black needle that said what the meter thought the exposure should be. It had a periscope that looked at the f/stop ring, and a transparent blue indicator that told me what shutter speed was set.
12-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can't say about the K10, but the K100 keeps all those special settings when it shuts off with the time out.
Although it still asks you what length lens you have, if your using a manual focus lens

I had a demo Sigma SD14 for a night not that long ago, and did the same thing.
I don't know if I can program it to shut off, although it's looking like I'll find out next week.

12-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K10D let's you choose which settings it remembers when you turn it off, with the exception of the focal length on manual lenses. Pg. 199-200 in the manual.
12-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
The K10D let's you choose which settings it remembers when you turn it off, with the exception of the focal length on manual lenses. Pg. 199-200 in the manual.
Yeah, but you have to remember to turn it off

Also the setting I wanted to keep was the ISO override - and it won't keep that unless I change it permanently in the menus. I have my USER mode set to auto ISO from 100-400 only, and I needed more ISO in one instance, and in another I wanted to lock down to 100, taking Christmas lights. With my perfect memory*, I didn't want to have to remember to set the ISO every time.

* for about two seconds, tops.
12-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I got ya now. Just read it that the settings in general didn't save.
12-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Albert congradulations, you are human like the rest of us........... Luckily, a lesson learned at no cost. I hate the expensive lessons..............

12-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Albert congradulations, you are human like the rest of us........... Luckily, a lesson learned at no cost. I hate the expensive lessons..............
I hate the expensive lessons also. One of them was to buy what seemed like a good lens - the Sigma 170-500. Soft, soft, soft. For all that it reviews well.
12-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hidesight is always 20-20.

Next time I'd suggest:

Setting auto off to a long period, I use 5 minutes for my astrophotography, which is safer than disabling it.

My wife and I use several cameras with AA size cells, I always have a package of Alkalines in the car for emergencies.

Another item the camera forgets is time delay. I often use the mirror up 2 second delay and if the camera times out I lose that setting.

Could be worse, I have a Nikon Coolpix that forgets almost everything between each shot!
12-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #11

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................. I know I had something important to contribute to this thread but I can't remember what it was. Maybe later......................(:>)

Cheers,

Phil
12-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Hidesight is always 20-20.

Next time I'd suggest:

Setting auto off to a long period, I use 5 minutes for my astrophotography, which is safer than disabling it.

My wife and I use several cameras with AA size cells, I always have a package of Alkalines in the car for emergencies.

Another item the camera forgets is time delay. I often use the mirror up 2 second delay and if the camera times out I lose that setting.

Could be worse, I have a Nikon Coolpix that forgets almost everything between each shot!
You can set the camera to remember the drive settings.
[Rec. Mode] > [Memory]
This will not work in [USER] on the mode dial. That will always default to whatever you have set things to.
12-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I foolishly sold my KX some years ago. The only electronic thing in it was the black needle that said what the meter thought the exposure should be. It had a periscope that looked at the f/stop ring, and a transparent blue indicator that told me what shutter speed was set.
I only disposed of my K2 after it died, but it was one step above the KX, as it had a coupled meter. If you used it manually you 'matched the needles by lining up the blue indicator with the light meter indicator needle, but if you set the shutter to 'auto', the blue went out of the way, and the light meter indicator told you what the shutter was going to be. I used it for around 20 years before it hit the floor a little too hard and wasn't quite the same after that.

I usually carried an ME for a backup. IT wasn't until my ME was stolen, and the K2 died that
I joined the auto focus world, and bought a superprogram for nostalgic reasons.
12-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I only disposed of my K2 after it died, but it was one step above the KX, as it had a coupled meter. If you used it manually you 'matched the needles by lining up the blue indicator with the light meter indicator needle, but if you set the shutter to 'auto', the blue went out of the way, and the light meter indicator told you what the shutter was going to be. I used it for around 20 years before it hit the floor a little too hard and wasn't quite the same after that.

I usually carried an ME for a backup. IT wasn't until my ME was stolen, and the K2 died that
I joined the auto focus world, and bought a superprogram for nostalgic reasons.
As a backup camera, where batteries are non-existent, I prefer something as primitive as the KX with mechanical shutters. K2 was/is a fine camera.