Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x: Image rotation in playback

This is quite a noob question but I'd just like to ask, as I saw this feature on a Canon compact... and thinking if my K-x can do the same...

Can the pictures, on playback, rotate automatically depending on how you're holding the cam?

e.g. You took a photo in portrait orientation and then pressed playback. When you're holding the cam horizontally it displays vertically, zoomed out to fill only the height of the screen, then when you hold the camera vertically the image rotates to fill the screen? Is that what "auto image rotation on playback" does? 'cause I was thinking that it might be also a K-x feature that is just not working with my unit and would have to have it repaired before warranty expires >_<

Last edited by Alizarine; 11-14-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: corrected some words
11-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Dear Alizarine,

I also an owner of a K-x, and no, it doesn't rotate automatically while playback just like the Canon compact you mentioned above. The "auto image rotation on playback" feature is a function to rotate the portrait image to vertical while playback, so you don't have to adjust your camera position every time you switch from portrait to landscape image.
Depends on your preference, you can turn this feature off - like I did - to get a full screen image in portrait orientation. Of course, you will have to rotate the camera while viewing then

Kind Regards,

Wybert
11-14-2011, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too have a K-x and like the previous post says that it only rotates the image so that you dont have to rotate the camera to view them, I have a Canon (Elph) point and shoot (which IMHO is a sweet little camera that I have owned for three years now) it has that feature where the image in playback will automatically rotate when you rotate the camera, this is a feature that I dearly miss while using the K-x and actually it seems that it wouldn't be that hard for Pentax to include in their next firmware update(if they ever have another one)
I too was a little dissapointed when I found that the K-x didn't have that feature.
11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I thought my K-x had a problem that I didn't notice before. Yeah, I do hope also that Pentax include it in future firmware updates, because sometimes when the subject (or a client, as some pay me for shoots sometimes) requests to see it on the LCD, it's kind of annoying having to turn it over when the images come from different orientations in a series. It's going to be kind of helpful, even if the feature's to be made available only with jpeg images (RAWs may be too slow to turn as they're big files)