Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 02:46 AM   #1

Memory card won't stick

So, I have some weird problem, maybe one of you can give me advice on what to do.

My SD card has a cracked corner, some of the packet plastic is broken off. I think it *might* be in the insides of my K10D memory slot. This cracking occured sometimes when I swapped my cards, however, I was very careful not to break anything. Which is why I find it odd that this actually happened. Anyway, it did. The reason I think the broken off part is in my K10D memory slot is because when I try to put another SD card in the slot (a fresh/non-broken one), the card won't lock. However, when I force the card in the camera and close the slot, the camera functions normally. When I open the card slot again, the card almost jumps out (ofcourse, it's not locked in any way).

Does anybody know what I should do? Will this go for a fix under guarantee? Should I just not care, since everything still works (I think I do care, anyhow )? My camera is ensured, will this help in any way when the fix is not under guarantee?

Should I just poke in the slot with some long pin and try to fix the problem myself? :P

Any help is appreciated. I tried using the search but found nothing that resembled this problem.

12-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i wouldnt root around the SD slot.

my guess is if you did break anything off, it's not likely in the card slot anyways-because if it were, you probably couldnt re-insert the SD card, or if you could, you'd have already done damage.

does another, undamaged SD card stay put? Personally, I wouldn't want to take too many more images on a card with a physical defect. Just one more way to lose images, and I am pretty sure you don't want to be losing images. (Not saying you will, it's a worst case scenario, but I am a worst case kinda guy)
12-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before I stuck anything into the card slot, I would try turning the camera slot down and shaking it like the very devil was after it. If that doesn't get rid of the little problem, try using a blower brush, again with the card slot down (so it falls out rather than just moving around).

Don't, under any circumstances put anything in there other than a card. The card slot is enabled on my k10d even when the master switch is off. (Access light comes on when I inser/remove a card).

I would even take out the batteries before fooling around, but I am (a) paranoid and (b) a klutz.
12-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

jmdeegan: I've bought a fresh SD card which does fit into the slot, it just won't stick either.

However, when I tried again yesterday, I was able to get a 'click' again! However, it's still far from perfect, if I stick a card in now it seems like it gets in too deep. Again, NOT as it was before. I'll go back to the shop and ask them for advice, because right now everything works fine but just a little different. I'm just worried it might get worse over time.. Which would be stupid :S

12-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a SD card break on me in my old DS. Throw the card out and get a new one. Unfortunately, in my case, the card did damage my DS. Pentax did repair it under warranty.

Try looking into the slot with a flashlight(torch) and an eye loop. Can you see anything int the slot? You may have to send it to Pentax, they probably will repair it under warranty.