Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reassure me that my K-7 isn't dead

I was using my camera yesterday - nothing extreme, I just had it with me on a day out.

I took the card out last night, downloaded the pictures, and left the camera tucked under the sofa all night - I put the card back in this morning.

When last I used the camera the battery was showing a full charge, but this morning it's totally dead. Not a flicker.

It hasn't been touched since I took the card out, and I brought it to work in my camera bag. I don't have my charger here to recharge it, so I just wondered if someone can reassure me that I must have flattened the battery somehow - perhaps I left it on in the bag on the way home yesterday, or something?

<nervously awaits posts saying 'mine did that and it was broken'!>

11-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

I wouldn't worry until you have tried it with a freshly charged battery.

If you are using a cheap 3rd party battery it's probably the battery that's nearly dead.
11-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would guess it is a battery issue, not otherwise. The battery indicators aren't always the most accurate...

Hopefully all is well when you get a recharge.
11-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

It's the Pentax battery that came with the camera - it's only 10 months old (so if the camera is dead, it is at least under warranty)

It was showing full, but I haven't charged it for a while - I'm just baffled as to how it could have flattened itself. I can only think it's been on in my bag and perhaps constantly trying to focus or image stabalise. When I took the card out I suppose I would have just turned it off out of habit (I always check it before I take the card out - I learned that lesson early on) and so it could have been dead last night, I just never used it to find out.

Will charge tonight and let you know.

11-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm. Just looked at the EXIF of the last image I took.

PowerSource: Body Battery
BodyBatteryState: Full
BodyBatteryVoltage1: 6.75 V
BodyBatteryVoltage2: 6.44 V

So I've got to hope it's been turned on in my bag and activating itself without taking any pictures, somehow.
11-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #6

I remember one of my friend has also faced the same problem (I could not remember that it was K-7 or K-5) of battery drain out because of forgetting to turn it off. He mentioned that although he turned on the auto power off function before that but the battery was still fully discharged after almost a day. I think your K-7 will be back to work normally after receiving a fully charged battery.
11-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange that it would read "Full" and seemingly drain so quickly. Now would be a good time to review the "auto off" settings.

I remember the sense of horror the first time I experience battery depletion with my K-7. With the K10, the battery shows depleted and you can turn it off for a few seconds and then turn it right back on and shoot a few more images or recheck your settings. Not the case with the K-7. The battery indicator goes from one quarter full to completely unresponsive very quickly and the battery is dead! No quick off and on measures. It is dead. The first time it happened to me I was probably feeling a little like you. "Shhiit!! I just zonked my camera somehow!"

In your case, I hope it was just a depleted battery.
11-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my experience the LI batteries have a very flat discharge rate. They will go from apparently fully charged to fully discharged in a matter of a few minutes. So recharge the battery and you should be good to go. I always carry a fully charged spare battery with me, since experience has taught me that the battery charge indicator on my K10 can show full charge one minute and depleted the next.

11-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all; it was the battery. I think my lens cleaner bottle was positioned just right in the bag to press the live view button. I guess I must have put it away still turned on and the bottle did the rest.