Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well I found an Armor Kit on Ebay for $39.00 so I thought I'd give it a try. I have it on one of my K10Ds and here are my observations thus far:
  • Buttons for the camera controls respond great
  • Adds bulk to the camera but not too bad
  • Hot shoe is plugged up and accessing it for a strobe will be a time consuming pain
  • Cant see all of the markings and you have to remember what is what

Overall I think this will work for me. It's a small amount of money for more protection for my gear. If I were just a wedding photographer or a hobbiest I wouldn't bother with this. It would just be a waste of money. However since I expect to be fairly punishing to my gear AND I won't be able to replace or repair my gear where I will be, it makes sense to use the armor.

12-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

you could try cutting off the top hot-shoe cover with a sharp razor blade.
12-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
you could try cutting off the top hot-shoe cover with a sharp razor blade.
Yup, I was thinking the exact same thing. Just wanted to make absolutely sure that I wanted to keep it before committing to surgery.
12-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Another bit of advice

QuoteOriginally posted by nikonic Quote
Yup, I was thinking the exact same thing. Just wanted to make absolutely sure that I wanted to keep it before committing to surgery.
Buy as much SD memory as possible and dont format any cards unless you have to. Laptops and hard drives are notoriously fragile in these conditions. I have accumulated about 30GB of SD storage and even though I always back up to an epson P2000 I have very little faith in such devices and even less with laptops.