Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Best choice for the money = ?
110D + DA 18-55 (Price: 260)   00%
100D Super + DA 18-55 (Price: 340) 1023.26%
100D + DA 18-55 + DA 50-200 (Price: 390) 1432.56%
100D + DA 16-45 (Price:400) 1944.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Opinion/what to choose?

Hello!

I'm new here so maybe I am posting in wrong place (in this case please forgive me) but here goes.
At the moment I don't have a dSLR but I feel like it is right time to get one. I have to make a choice but it is a tough one. I think I know what is the best choice but it would be great to see your opinion.
I have added price just to show you relative difference between choices.

Another question would be about M42->Pentax K lens adapters (I know I should go to Accessories forum, but I think there is no need to make second thread).
Well I have read that there might be some problems with focusing to infinity using some adapters (Is there some original official Pentax-made adapter?) - they are to thick and focusing plane is not where it should be?. Could you tell me something more about this? I have some M42 lenses left from my film SLR and it would be nice to try them on new camera.

Thank you for your replies!

12-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I haven't seen the DA 16-45 for less than $400. Where are you getting that price? If its real, jump on the combo. ch
12-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you listed prices for brand new units and in US dollars? They seems something not possible!

Btw, I have voted for the twin lens kit. It undoubtedly has the best value relatively for the reference prices you listed.

Also, it is the only setup which you will get a tele range. As for the difference between the kit lens and the DA 16-45, it is not that huge for normal and casual uses, MHO.

QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Hello!

I'm new here so maybe I am posting in wrong place (in this case please forgive me) but here goes.
At the moment I don't have a dSLR but I feel like it is right time to get one. I have to make a choice but it is a tough one. I think I know what is the best choice but it would be great to see your opinion.
I have added price just to show you relative difference between choices.

Another question would be about M42->Pentax K lens adapters (I know I should go to Accessories forum, but I think there is no need to make second thread).
Well I have read that there might be some problems with focusing to infinity using some adapters (Is there some original official Pentax-made adapter?) - they are to thick and focusing plane is not where it should be?. Could you tell me something more about this? I have some M42 lenses left from my film SLR and it would be nice to try them on new camera.

Thank you for your replies!
12-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 16-45 is much better the the kit in MHO go with it. I agree with the prices you are getting as somewhat out of whack. Tell us where you got the pricing from? It sounds like it could be one of the less the reputable dealers that most of use could steer you away from to avoid heart break and wallet ache in the end.

12-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #5

K10D with 18-55 & 50-200. or K10D with tamron 17-50 f2.8 or tamron 28-75 f2.8.
12-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
YES everything is NEW
NO prices are not in US dollars - they are given just to show relative difference between offers.

If you want to convert these prices to US dollars, then it goes something like:

But I am not from US - prices are different here.

About K10 - absolutely NO !!! You ask me why NO - I answer - it DOESN'T support AA-type batteries (it is the main thing why I like PENTAX - it has models that use AA-batteries. In some cases it is vital).
12-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
About K10 - absolutely NO !!! You ask me why NO - I answer - it DOESN'T support AA-type batteries (it is the main thing why I like PENTAX - it has models that use AA-batteries. In some cases it is vital).
I think the K10D has many things to offer that offset the fact that it doesn't use AA batteries.

Even if you use AA batteries on the K100D, I'm sure you'll end up buying rechargeable AAs, right? Remember that the K100D is not a film camera, so the batteries aren't going to last you 12 months. Buying AAs every week will surely get expensive.
12-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the following thread I posted the wrong adapters to use on an M42 lens. These are fine for a bellows but not a lens. another member posted the right adapter here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/133526-post11.html
the wrong ones are here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/134056-post20.html

As for the lens choices above I would make a different choice. Da50-200 with a 16-45 if you can afford it.

12-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

[QUOTE=madphys;134693]Hello!

"I'm new here so maybe I am posting in wrong place (in this case please forgive me) but here goes.
I have added price just to show you relative difference between choices."

Well, it all gets down to what you are going to shoot. The 16-45 lens is a fine lens but then you are limited in the magnification. The set with the 2 kit lenses (18-55 & X-200) is the best option for most of us regular types, IMO. Lets you shoot scenery, portraits, indoor flash, and a bird or animal shot, etc. Nice range, OK IQ.
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #10

Do not think that you will be able to shoot with non-rechargable alkaline AAs.
You won't. Tested it.
If you can buy lithium ones, then probably you will be able to do so. However, two packs of lithium AAs cost the same as one pack of Sanyo 2700mAh batteries here in Zagreb.
So, if that is the main reason for not going for K10D, reconsider.
Happy choosing
Branimir
12-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I appreciate the ability to pack a couple boxes of Lithium E2 batteries and have them in my camera bag at all times... no worries about whether the spare batteries are charged or if their power has diminished over the months. My lithiums have a shelf life until 2021, will be there when I need them, and shoot longer than my standard 2650mAh batteries.

Edit: For those of us in the US, 15 E2 Lithiums ran $17.00 at Sam's Club. Well worth it and about half the price of other stores.
12-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I already have a bunch of rechargeable AAs and a fast "smart" charger so this is no real problem for me. I am not an insane man - I wouldn't buy alkaline batteries. I like rechargeable AAs because they have large capacity (>2800 mAh) and are freely available and cheap (also small). I can charge a few sets of AAs and throw them in my bag and I will know that I won't run out of power.
YES K10D is better but this will be my first digital SLR so I think I should start slowly. Besides I know that some new models are coming up so then there will be more to choose from later. After all I am not a serious photographer ...... and I really like AAs.

About 50-200mm telezoom lens: I have read reviews about these lenses and 50-200 is not rated very well on the other hand 16-45 is rated as very sharp. Taking into account that there have been only few cases when I really needed telezoom I would better stick to the sharp choice as starter kit (that is how I feel about this situation).

Thank you for your opinion, help and votes!
12-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Personally I ended up with your choice #4 and would choose so again.

I already had a 70-210 cheap AF zoom from my film set up, so I didn't need the extra tele lens. (I have coveted it however: the 50mm on the wide end is very useful on a digital body, and the lens is small and cute!)

re. AA's - being a bit of an vintage camera buff, I can see using the then-ancient K100D in 20 year's time. I'm not sure proprietary batteries to fit current cameras will be available then. This is another reason, btw, to spend the money on the lens rather than the camera body.
12-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say go with option #4. A cheap body with good glass will always give you better image quality than a more expensive body paired with cheap glass. If you decide you like photography and want to get more serious, the 16-45mm can go with you to the next level.
12-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you again for your advices!
It was very esay to choose (in the end) - when I went to store only #4 choice was available - #3 were sold out. I guess it is what I wanted. Lens acts exactly as it is reviewed here.

Still reading manual...