Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cold Weather Precautions

Any advice from experienced users of the k10d (or any other DSLR for that matter) on cold weather shooting? I'd hate to wind up with a cracked LCD or other problem because I didn't know any better. On the other hand I'll want to get out and play with the new toy that Santa may be bringing.

12-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having shot for more than 25 years in as cold as -40C temps I can say these cameras will take fairly cold weather. A few tips. I bought an oversized vest that I wear outside my winter jacket. I put the camera between the vest and jacket to sheild it from the extreme cold and wind between shots. Do not put the body inside the jacket because the body heat also has a lot of moisture. This will freeze and could damage lenses etc.
Second make sure you take a clean dry ziplock bag(s) that the camera and any lenses used in before you go back inside. Seal them up in the bags and allow them to warm up fully before you expose the parts to the warm air. This is when condensation will collect on the warm parts and cause problems, especially for the lenses.
Be careful to avoid hard knocks against the gear when the gear has been in the cold for awhile. You could crack plastic parts that are brittle in these temperatures.

Other than that the camera is weather sealed and is as tough or tougher than anything I've used before.
12-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Working dog, If you have the DA* lenses, you won't need the plastic bag. Just make sure you don't open any of the doors on the camera or remove the lens until everything is warmed up to room temperature.

None of my cameras have ever developed problems with cold weather, and I've used them to -20 fairly often. The LCD might not work if it gets too cold, or be very sluggish, but that's normal for LCD's.

You biggest problem will be battery life. I'm hoping that with the second battery in the grip, I will be able to do outdoor shots without killing both batteries.
12-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I agree with Peter. Living here in Western Canada where it drops to -40c as well taking photos can be an experience. Your big problem will come when you bring the camera and lens back inside. Make sure you take Peter's advice. One final note, the manual states the camera is only good down to 0c or 32F. It will work below those temps but be aware.......Good photography.

12-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

canada Rookies makes a good point and something I forgot from my 'checklist' I take the battery out of the body and only use the grip battery in cold weather. I actually have 4 batteries and keep 3 in an inside pocket to stay warm. They will drain fairly quickly. Also choose your lens kit carefully to avoid as many lens changes as possible. Even on a clear day snow can blow around and get inside the body. If lens changes might be frequent (and this is good at the beach or other dusty areas too) take a plastic bag along to do the changes inside.