Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #1

K10D LCD turns off prematurely & at random?

Hello,

I am having issues with my LCD turning off randomly when I am in the Menu.

I just received my K10D from B&H on Friday evening. I tinkered with it around the house a little, it seemed okay, then I put in my camera bag. Today, Sunday, I went to use it and the LCD shuts off at random when I am trying to use the Menu functions. It stays on if I use Playback or Function buttons. I cannot navigate through the menu at all because it goes off as soon as it turns on. It has not been dropped, bumped, wet, etc etc.

Anyone else had this issue? Sometimes it turns right off after a fraction of a second, other times it will turn off after 2 seconds or so. This is what I've tried to no avail:

* Removed battery

* Removed SD card

* I think I was able to get to the "reset" in the menu once; I reached it, and when I pressed "okay," but the screen went blank and gave no confirmation...

Thanks for all your help!

BTW, setup is:

K10D, OEM battery, SanDisk 1G Ultra II plus USB, Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG EX

Thanks again

12-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey jvp,
That doesn't sound right- maybe something in the shutter switch???
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That sounds like a battery problem.
Try an other lens first,
Make sure the battery is fully charged.
Make sure the contact on the battery are clean,use eraser not sandpaper.
if all failed, go to your local store and try a different battery.
If the problem still exists, the camera could be the issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by jvp Quote
Hello,

I am having issues with my LCD turning off randomly when I am in the Menu.

I just received my K10D from B&H on Friday evening. I tinkered with it around the house a little, it seemed okay, then I put in my camera bag. Today, Sunday, I went to use it and the LCD shuts off at random when I am trying to use the Menu functions. It stays on if I use Playback or Function buttons. I cannot navigate through the menu at all because it goes off as soon as it turns on. It has not been dropped, bumped, wet, etc etc.

Anyone else had this issue? Sometimes it turns right off after a fraction of a second, other times it will turn off after 2 seconds or so. This is what I've tried to no avail:

* Removed battery

* Removed SD card

* I think I was able to get to the "reset" in the menu once; I reached it, and when I pressed "okay," but the screen went blank and gave no confirmation...

Thanks for all your help!

BTW, setup is:

K10D, OEM battery, SanDisk 1G Ultra II plus USB, Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG EX

Thanks again
12-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Chances are that you are lightly touching the shutter button while in the menu mode. That reverts back to normal picture taking mode.

12-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
jvp

Original Poster
Still not working

Denis,

I think you may have hit it with the lens suggestion. If I take the lens off (this is my only one; got the lens used and got the K10D body-only) the LCD will stay on in the menu. Though I think this is it, I do have a second battery that I'll have to charge and double-check.

All,

I come from more of a Canon background, and I have heard of 3rd party lens issues w/Canon but I didn't know it could be w/Pentax too. I think that Sigma could reprogram their lenses to newer Canon specs; do you know if they do this for Pentax as well? Also, I've now found that the LCD behaves the same with the Info button as w/the Menu button.

Thanks everyone, and please let me know if you have any more suggestions/theories.
12-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Denis,

I think you may have hit it with the lens suggestion. If I take the lens off (this is my only one; got the lens used and got the K10D body-only) the LCD will stay on in the menu. Though I think this is it, I do have a second battery that I'll have to charge and double-check.

All,

I come from more of a Canon background, and I have heard of 3rd party lens issues w/Canon but I didn't know it could be w/Pentax too. I think that Sigma could reprogram their lenses to newer Canon specs; do you know if they do this for Pentax as well? Also, I've now found that the LCD behaves the same with the Info button as w/the Menu button.

Thanks everyone, and please let me know if you have any more suggestions/theories.
Glad the problem appears to be the lens. Let us know you final findings.
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You missed the step that I miss often. If the grip switch is on, your little finger will trigger the LCD off. Turn the grip off, and all will be well.

12-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You missed the step that I miss often. If the grip switch is on, your little finger will trigger the LCD off. Turn the grip off, and all will be well.
haha same here, and sometime my little finger want to take picture too
12-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
jvp

Original Poster
Canada_Rockies & vizjerei,

I wish I had the grip, then that would be a possibility... I do/did plan on getting the grip - but this issue is beginning to scare me away from Pentax (maybe it should be Sigma that scares me).

Updates:

* I've tried my second fully-charged battery (OEM as well), and the LCD issue persists.

* I got my hands on an old Sears 50mm 2.8 manual-everything lens. The LCD stays on for the Menu and Info buttons with this lens. Of course, I'd already found that the LCD worked with no lens; and having this mounted is electronically equivalent to having no lens (since it doesn't have any electronics).

I am pretty sure that the lens is causing the issue; I'm calling Sigma tomorrow to see what they think. I'm not sure how old this lens is, but the sn is10063XX if anyone has the same lens and can give me an idea - or speak from their own experience? Thanks much.
12-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #10

Perhaps give the contacts on the sigma a quick swipe with a bit of rubbing alcohol or distilled water?
12-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
jvp

Original Poster
Not much help from Sigma today; they haven't heard of such an issue. Camera Repair Japan here in Atl is an authorized repair shop. I'll take it in on Saturday if it's not resolved by then.

I've cleaned the contacts with both an eraser and rubbing alcohol (separately).
12-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Forum Member

LCD turns off

Not much help from Sigma today; they haven't heard of such an issue. Camera Repair Japan here in Atl is an authorized repair shop. I'll take it in on Saturday if it's not resolved by then.

I've cleaned the contacts with both an eraser and rubbing alcohol (separately).
I have had the same problem with the Sigma 24-70 and also a 24-135 both these lenses on the K10D will cause the LCD when in the menus to shot off very quickly. This does not happen on my K100D, also, I have a Sigma 10-20 and a 70-300 these do not have this problem. I took both Lens and the K10D to Gentek who quickly blamed it on the K10D not lens and the local Pentax authorized repair dealer says it is the lens. I have learned to live with it can be annoying at times though
12-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Possible that the lens isn't quite all that snug and that a slight shift is causing the contact to break and reconnect? I don't know if that would cause that type of behavior, but it's as good a guess as any.
12-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
jvp

Original Poster
property#1,
Sorry to hear that you experience it too, but it confirms for me that I haven't lost it completely! Is Gentek an official Sigma repair facility? I'm wondering if my shop will tell me the same thing...
12-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #15

I post this problem with my K100 a while back and the problem was solved when I dropped the camera and busted my old lens and I got a new one (Tamron). I thought the dropping the camera had something to do with fixing the problem but in fact it looks like it was my old lens that was causing the problem.