Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sensor Stain on my K-x

I just noticed there is a sensor stain on my K-x. It shows up in pictures and looks like a water drop is on the lens. The weird thing is, it moves depending on the focal length used. At 17mm, the spot is above the center of the image. At 28mm it's in the center. At 50mm it's at the bottom left. That seems odd to me. The only way I can think I got it is if condensation formed on the sensor after shooting in the cold, and left a stain when it dried up. So can anyone recommend a wet sensor cleaning solution? All I have is a rocket blower. Will it be easy to clean?

11-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like the obstruction is in the lens, not the sensor. Have you tried another lens?
11-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This doesn't sound like a stain. Could be dust. Do you see it on pictures from more than just the one lens? If not, I'd carefully examine the lens, as the spot moving when you zoom in sounds like something on it.

Are you seeing this spot at all apertures, or just small ones? Typically sensor dust only shows up with a small aperture.

How about posting an example?
11-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
krp
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It shows up on multiple lenses. It shows up at smaller apetures too but both these lenses are stopped down all the way in the sample pics. Here it is at 17mm:

And at 28mm using a different lens:

In the 1st picture it is darker than the surrounding area. In the 2nd picture it is lighter and bigger. Also notice the dust spots and how they are the same in both pictures. That's why I'm puzzled why this 'spot' moves and expands.

11-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's some kind of dirt, I think. It "expands" depending on aperture.
11-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
It's some kind of dirt, I think. It "expands" depending on aperture.
Yep. Just looks like dust to me. Try a blower, if that fails then the lollipop would likely get it. I'm not a huge fan of wet cleaning, yet anyway.

There are lots of examples of sensor stains from early K-5s, this definitely is not a sensor stain.
11-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Try a blower, if that fails then the lollipop would likely get it.
The Jolly Rancher lollipop's are the best, preferably the cherry...

--
11-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Deffo not the same kind of markings reported as sensor stain on other cameras... I would guess at it being dust... use the dust removal feature in the menu (spanner 4) and if that doesn't work get a blower...

11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
krp
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've tried the blower and it doesn't always work that well. Doesn't it seem weird that it's a big blur even at f32? All the other dust spots are sharp and look different.
11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There might be some other kind of dirt--not a speck of dust. Oil, maybe?
Interestingly, though, your arrows indicate two different spots in the two pics. I can see something in the second one, but it's hard for me to see anything in the first. Could you post other pics?
11-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Doesn't it seem weird that it's a big blur even at f32? All the other dust spots are sharp and look different.
It could well be a fiber that is only partly in contact with the sensor, with the rest of it slightly in front. That little gap causes the spot to look more blurred, I've had it happen once or twice on mine. Good thing is, fibers don't stick too bad, so a blower moves them right out.
11-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenspen/Sensor pen

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

For years, I used their lens pens for cleaning my sensor. So did Canon Canada, etc. Now this company has sensor cleaning products, and they are fabulous, easy to use, and very portable. Fabulous stuff, and in singles or in kits.

Cheers,
Cameron

PS: wow, that looks like an ad for the company - the forum put the ad copy there, I just tried to do a link to their website...and I don't work for them...