Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #1

K100d built in flash: strange behavior

I have on more than one occasion had the internal flash on my K100d seemingly stop working while shooting indoors in a darkened interior [shooting a band in a night club].

At first everything works normally, then after several shots the flash won't fire and the flash charging indicator in the viewfinder never stops flashing [indicating flash not charging?].

I have tried switching modes including setting the flash on manually with no change. I am using 2400 rechargeables and the battery level indicator never goes below showing full charge.

Any ideas?

12-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Overheating? Not sure about the K100D flash but some external flashes have a maximum duty cycle and will shut down (or go bang!) if the drive circuit gets too hot.
12-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Well as far as I know there is a large capacitor in your camera which is connected to your flash lamp. One could wounder why capacitor - I have batteries but batteries don't have properties like capacitors. Flash lamp is very bright as you know - it spends a lot of energy in very short time so the power supply must have the ability to provide a very rapid energy exchange with lamp. Batteries can't do that so thats where capacitor comes in. Another aspect is that to shoot a flash you need a high voltage but your batteries provide only 4*1,2=4,8 V so some voltage conversion must be done. So basically your batteries are pumping capacitor which gives a rapid splash of electrical energy which then in lamp is converted to bright light. So when you are using your flash very often batteries can't keep up the pumping because they are weak (relatively). A fully charged capacitor can provide maybe 5 shots maybe less or more - depends on capacitor. So everything is OK - that's the way how things are done. You should wait a little more between shots.

I do not think that this is overheating - it should be designed in such a way that it cools enough between recharging cycles. But everything is possible.
12-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
I have on more than one occasion had the internal flash on my K100d seemingly stop working while shooting indoors in a darkened interior [shooting a band in a night club].

At first everything works normally, then after several shots the flash won't fire and the flash charging indicator in the viewfinder never stops flashing [indicating flash not charging?].

I have tried switching modes including setting the flash on manually with no change. I am using 2400 rechargeables and the battery level indicator never goes below showing full charge.

Any ideas?
The flash will not charge while you are holding down the shutter release.

12-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The flash will not charge while you are holding down the shutter release.
WoW! Is that in the manual anywhere?
12-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash DOES charge with shutter button down!

I just brought that forward from my MZ-S -- and cannot find it in the manual for the k10d!

So I took out the K10d, set the drive mode to continuous, set the exposure to manual, set the flash to Slow Speed Sync, popped up the flash and found out that it will, in fact charge while holding down the shutter button.

I also found that it would take about a shot every 1.5 seconds when I did this in my test. So probably, it is because you are not waiting until it is charged and you have the flash release while charging turned on in the Custom settings. Maybe.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Read before quoting, Albert.