Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ff dslr

It seems that the days of film were much better. No problem with WB. You were restricted to only faving one ISO at a time. Now that FF is present in digital, I hate the concept all together. If you have a Nikon D3X and want to switch to APS-C, you will have no problem if you have a FF lens. If you have a Da lens on, (Dx in Nikon) you can't shoot FF without obstruction. Why even buy APS-C lenses then? If and when Pentax gets a FF lens, I will probably buy it but I will never own DA lenses again. I will sell what I have and just buy FA. I can use them with my other bodies and not be restricted. I never sell camera bodies as I collect and use what I own. FF and APS-C are like Thatcher and Neil Kinnock, If you switch, make sure you choose correctly the first time.

11-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm...tumting veddy kurious!!!

You like film b.c you were restricted to faving one ISO at a time.
You dislike APS-C lenses because you are restricted to one type of sensor size cameras...
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick question, would you still even want your DA lenses on FF if they did work? I sure wouldn't, I'd have to go out and buy a 35mm and 85mm to at least cover the FoV i get from the 24mm and 55mm lenses i'm using now, even though both my 24mm and 55mm would work on FF.
11-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
If you have a DA lens and you are using APS, you will probably won't be able to use FF without using an FA lens. If you have an FA lens, you could use APS, but why would you? A 10MP FF sensor will have less noise at FF than at APS-C. Pick a format and don't look back.

11-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dndcdr Quote
It seems that the days of film were much better.
No problem with WB
This is not true. We had to purchase film that matched the lighting we were using, or use conversion filters.
QuoteQuote:
You were restricted to only faving one ISO at a time.
That is firstly, hardly an advantage. I have no idea how many films I had to pull and replace, but as a hint, I have a gizmo to extract the film leader when I didn't stop before it was all retracted. And then, we had to reset the meter (if we had one) to the speed of the replacement film. And we had to write the frame number that we exposed on the leader of the retracted film so that we know how far to wind the film on when we put it back in the camera.
QuoteQuote:
Now that FF is present in digital, I hate the concept all together. If you have a Nikon D3X and want to switch to APS-C, you will have no problem if you have a FF lens. If you have a Da lens on, (Dx in Nikon) you can't shoot FF without obstruction. Why even buy APS-C lenses then?
Because I like the lighter weight of APS-C cameras. I'm afraid that an old curmudgeon (me) recalls the big fights over 120 vs 135 film and how the 120 was a far superior format, yada, yada, yada.
QuoteQuote:
If and when Pentax gets a FF lens, I will probably buy it but I will never own DA lenses again. I will sell what I have and just buy FA.
Keep me in mind when you sell off - I have as much LBA as anyone, just not as much money.
QuoteQuote:
I can use them with my other bodies and not be restricted. I never sell camera bodies as I collect and use what I own. FF and APS-C are like Thatcher and Neil Kinnock, If you switch, make sure you choose correctly the first time.
I personally think that I have. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and mine should never over-rule yours. I simply want to point out some opposing views about these notes. Enjoy the forums, and keep it friendly! I try to.
11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #6

Today is the day

I prefer to photograph with what Pentax gear is available today, rather than buy a lot of old design lenses now, hoping that Pentax will one day make a full frame camera. Maybe they will, but you will probably need new glass anyway to take advantage of a new full frame Pentax sensor.
The good thing about lenses is they usually hold there value pretty well, compared to bodies, so you may not lose all that much money photographing with todays DA lenses, even if Pentax comes out with a full frame next week. Not everyone, pros included, want or need a full frame camera. Just a thought.
11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
The human intelect sure is weak. A DSLR today would be similar to a 35mm camera in the 1950"s, in terms of advancement. DSLR'S will improve at a greater rate than film cameras. The standard now and probably for a very long time is 35MM, either film or sensor. There needs to be a standard on MP as well. Untill that time, there will always be disagreement.
11-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #8

I have some 35mm cameras from the 50's, so intellect aside, I can't figure out your analogy. Todays cameras are vastly superior to the 1950's cameras, and last years cameras for the most part. What may be available in a year or ten years is irrelevant today.

11-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If Pentax ever makes a FF camera, then they're offering more products for more people to enjoy. Nope. I don't think that's a bad move (excluding financial concerns). If film is still better (convenience-wise, which is why A LOT of "regular" people back then preferred P&S than slr's, unlike a lot of newbies today) digital wouldn't be so dominant today.
11-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

... A 10MP FF sensor will have less noise at FF than at APS-C.
That might theoretically be true, but I suggest that you try a K5 for a week and see if you still have a need for FF from a noise perpsective.

The standard now and probably for a very long time is 35MM, either film or sensor.
Are you sure? I don't know what the ratio is of FF dSLR cameras sold versus non-FF dSLR cameras sold, but I'm sure non-FF nowadays is the defacto standard.
11-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Some DA lenses are FF compatible, look at the DA* 55, I would also guess that one of the DA 35mm's are FF compatible, sure the DA Ltd's aren't but thats 4 lenses.. heck, I threw my DA 10-17 Fisheye on my old super program and it was fine at 17mm. bringing it down past about 15mm starts to clip.. but I was still shocked it was ok at 17mm!, Can't say I've checked my 18-135mm..
11-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Assorted responses:

* Modern dSLRs have capabilities far beyond what's possible with film cameras. There's no comparison. But I keep battery-less SLRs around, just in case.

* FF is a standard for comparison, not usage. I doubt FF-digicam sales even reach 1% the sales of crop-sensor cams. It's the mo-ney, ho-ney.

* I don't bother putting the DA10-17 on my K1000 or MV1 or ZX-M, not when I have the much faster Zenitar 16/2.8.

* For different recording qualities, either buy a new roll of film, or buy a new digital camera. Ricoh's mountors may be the closest we'll see to digital film.

Is this thread going to become another why-not-a-Pentax-FF group-grope?
11-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

As already opted in other FF topics. Why would Pentax issue a FF body that doesn't allow DA's to be attached.

The K5 auto-detects what DA lens is attached to it and applies auto corrections for CA and distortions. The FF body could do the very same thing and could also apply a auto cropping. Maybe one could even manually set the amount of cropping per individual lens and save the settings.
11-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you have a Da lens on, (Dx in Nikon) you can't shoot FF without obstruction.
the cheap wonder plastic DA(L) 35/2.4 is FF compatible, and more generally all DA* primes works on FF

the DA 40 and 70 work on FF

the DA* 60-250 work on FF, like the 55-300.

the 18-55 work from 24 to 55 (and from 18 to 24 some vigneting)

You see ? you have plenty of choice in lense that are not supposed to be compatible, but they are.

the only kind of film were WB doesn't *really* matter is b&w, for all other, you have some specific application.

and to finish : the grass always "seems" greener elsewhere
11-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Wow, even I'm surprised by how many are actually FF compatible.. I guess I don't really have to avoid picking up some more DA's while we await the next evolution of K-mount.