Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
From what I understand, getting shims is kinda dicey right now outside the US, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice there.

Tbh, my advice would be to sell your Katzeye and order a s-type from focusingscreens.com I find it to be a much superior screen and they will send you (plastic) shims with it, along with some installation tweezers.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the official Pentax people here in Australia, they told me no shims in stock and about a fortnight before they get more.
KatzEye told me they don't carry shims and I've still had no reply from focusingscreens.com despite now having contacted them twice.
I'm keen to get a screen fitted so I can start to use all my manual lenses with hopefully more good results more often.

11-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #17

Original Poster
Similar problem in the UK, I've contacted a couple of possible shim suppliers, but no luck so far.

Cheers

Moray
11-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #18

Original Poster
OK, for anyone who is still interested, I've ordered the full set of shims from jpss.co.uk, the Pentax UK repair people, delivery should be 10-14 days, so fingers crossed!

Cheers

Moray
11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't need no steekin' shims

FWIW, I just popped out the stock screen and inserted the KatzEye, and all was blissful. I have suspected from time to time that I had a systematic focusing error from the percentage of "keepers" I'm getting, but every time I go to do an actual test, it comes out spot-on.

(Sorry. That should be "steenkin'", of course. My apologies)

Last edited by fewayne; 11-29-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Misspelled subject line
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
FWIW, I just popped out the stock screen and inserted the KatzEye, and all was blissful. I have suspected from time to time that I had a systematic focusing error from the percentage of "keepers" I'm getting, but every time I go to do an actual test, it comes out spot-on.

(Sorry. That should be "steenkin'", of course. My apologies)
I'm waiting on delivery of shims, both tests and actual shots are visibly incorrect.

Cheers

Moray
12-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #21

Original Poster
Got my shims! If you are in the UK, or maybe even the rest europe, try the service department of Johnsons photopia (JPSS), they were able to get the full selection of washers/shims.

Installed the 0.2 one as advised, and it seems to have done the job! I managed to bend the shim taking it out the plastic bag, they are very delicate, but they bend back, so no biggie. Installation is unpleasant, but if you have steady hands, it's possible for the layman like myself.

Results are promising, close up, wide open at 1.7, focus is nailed, at distance, im not sure, it could be my eyes, it could be a couple of inches front focussing, but, I suspect a magnifying eyepiece might fix this, a lifetime in front of a computer has left me with suboptimal eyesight.

Thanks for all the help here!

Cheers

Moray
12-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I swapped the screen from my k-7 with a KatzEye...no issues or problems at all.