Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D Random Thoughts

I am not one to jump on the latest technology as soon as it is released. Still, the Workingdog's ears spring to attention with rumors of blazing fast autofocus and crystal clear high ISO on the K20D that lurks, just barely visible on the horizon. And yet, I will buy the K10D and a couple of nice lenses. Some of my reasons:
1. The K10D is available now for about half of its debut price a year ago (that's with the rebate).
2. The K20D will likely debut at a price that I don't want to pay. The price will only go down from there.
3. If past holds true widespread availability of K20D won't be until late summer 2008
4. K20D will have advances over K10D but will also have its own peculiarities; it won't be perfect.
5. I'd like to have a camera now, not 6 months from now.
6. If, after reading K20D reviews and hands on experiences of the good folks on this forum I really want one, I will wait until the price drops and everyone is drooling over the upcoming K30D. I'll sell the K10D body and keep the lenses.
7. As with anything new and electronic the K20D will likely have some problems at first. Call them growing pains. I'd rather wait until the bugs are worked out.
8. There will always be something better.....next year.
9. The K10D is a great camera, right now, cheap.
Please feel free to comment or add your own ramblings.

12-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like a good plan.
12-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Just buy it now - it's such a great camera for the price point. The $100 rebate is nothing to sneeze at either!

You'll enjoy it, no question.

Cheers,
Marc
12-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #4

I'm with you in that thinking.... I'm prolly going to endup going with a K10D and then see how the K20D is and maybe add that to the arsenal. We shall see.

12-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Why not get a K100D, body only is $289 after rebate, about half the price of a good lens. Its signfiicantly lighter and smaller then a K10 with better high ISO. Two things which make it a keeper. From the sound of things, the K100D might actually appreciate after the K200D arrives. In its case, there might not be something better next year. In either case, I wouldn't wait. Its not like K20D's are going onshelves anytime soon. With a K10 or K100 in hand you won't be rushed into anything. ch
12-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #6

Exactly the same reasons I purchased a K10D. Better to have a great camera now, at a reasonable price, than a "much better" camera at a much higher price at some indefinite time in the future. Besides, by the time I figure out how to use all the features on the K10D I'll be much more comfortable with any future models.

Depending on how the money goes I have been thinking about getting a K100D or K100D Super. Can someone please tell me the PRACTICAL differences between the two? And which one would be a good partner for the K10D?

Thanks and cheers,

Phil
12-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Why not get a K100D, body only is $289 after rebate, about half the price of a good lens. Its signfiicantly lighter and smaller then a K10 with better high ISO. ...
Is this a fact? I mean the ISO part of your statement... Do you also mean less noise?
12-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Is this a fact? I mean the ISO part of your statement... Do you also mean less noise?
Two things. The K100D goes up to ISO 3200, the K10D ISO 1600. Also becuase it has 6megapixels eating up the same space that the K10D has 10 megapixels it is less noisy. The reason is simple, it has a much better SNR. Why you ask? The K10D's pixels are much smaller. Smaller pixels have less area to gather light. Less light means less signal. For a given semiconductor process, the noise stays the same regardless of pixel size and the signal increases with pixel size. ch

12-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Where is this price?

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Why not get a K100D, body only is $289 after rebate, about half the price of a good lens. Its signfiicantly lighter and smaller then a K10 with better high ISO. Two things which make it a keeper. From the sound of things, the K100D might actually appreciate after the K200D arrives. In its case, there might not be something better next year. In either case, I wouldn't wait. Its not like K20D's are going onshelves anytime soon. With a K10 or K100 in hand you won't be rushed into anything. ch
Where did you see this $289 price? There is no rebate on the K100D, just the K100D Super.
12-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Where did you see this $289 price? There is no rebate on the K100D, just the K100D Super.
I stand corrected. There is a rebate available, $25 when you purchase one of the lenses at the same time or something like that. I just assumed it was the standard $100 rebate. It did sound too good to be true. Thanks for pointing that out. ch
12-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am quite happy with the K100D, but then again I still consider myself a beginner. I think that I would appreciate the dual control wheels and the selector switch for AFS and AFC, but the same end can be achieved easily enough just by knowing the camera. If there's a good deal to be had on a K100D, I would recommend it to anyone.
12-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Quote
Exactly the same reasons I purchased a K10D. Better to have a great camera now, at a reasonable price, than a "much better" camera at a much higher price at some indefinite time in the future. Besides, by the time I figure out how to use all the features on the K10D I'll be much more comfortable with any future models.

Depending on how the money goes I have been thinking about getting a K100D or K100D Super. Can someone please tell me the PRACTICAL differences between the two? And which one would be a good partner for the K10D?

Thanks and cheers,

Phil
Practically speaking, the Super adds only SDM compatibility and sensor cleaning shake. SDM compatibility is a non-issue because the SDM lenses have the coupling for the in camera motor to maintain (Yeah! Pentax!) compatibility with all Pentax autofocus cameras except ME-F. The sensor cleaning shake is reviewed somewhere between OK and why bother.
12-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is always something "newer" and "faster" and "better" coming out soon. If you wait and snap up the newest you will pay top dollar. You can wait more and the price drops but then there is something even "better" on the horizon. I kicked around buying the K10D for months and finally bought it mostly out of need because my Nikon SLR broke and I was again using my SP1000 or a point and shoot Fuji. I should have bought it months ago!
Richard
12-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
I suspect I'll be buying a K20D when it hits the shelves.

This is in NO WAY a reflection of any issues with my K10D. There are simply some things coming on the 20D that, now having lived with my K10D for a year, I'd like.

That said, yep, it sucks paying the big price - but, the consolation is you have the item when you want it and can use it immediately. Since it looks like I may be traveling more with my new job, I'll likely do a body swap at some point AND pick up a decent P&S for carrying in my pocket...something the K-series is a bit challenged with... LOL