Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Eureka! - Finally a good cheap way to dry clean the sensor

Hey all.

Just wanted to share my experience with cleaning my sensors. After trying the rocket blower, a TAC "lollipop", a sensor pen, and a plain old Q-tip, I decided to take a gamble on the "CleanSkies" sensor brushes on eBay. For around $16 ($13 + $3 s+h), you get a pair of identical brushes. Basically, they're a knockoff of the Copper Hill brush, only much cheaper. (an unsized synthetic artist's brush)

This was hands-down the easiest, fastest, and most effective method I've tried. It took maybe 2 minutes per camera, It worked the first time, left no residue on the sensor, and was about as stressful as cleaning a lens. Here are the brushes:

CleanSkies SENSOR CLEANING Brush Set For Digital SLR "SECONDS" Closeout Sale | eBay

I used the method described here:

The Pixel Sweeper

I think the two big factors in a successful cleaning with these brushes are:

1) Clean the brush by knocking the dust out on a clean butter knife or something similar, and do it before & after every cleaning.

2) Blow air through the bristles thoroughly with either canned air or a rocket blower. (I used the rocket blower.) This charges the bristles with static so the dust sticks to the brush rather than just slides around on the sensor.

3) If you use the blower on the sensor, do it before rather than after the brushing. Using the blower afterward might just blow more crap onto the sensor.

Just wanted to let you guys & gals know what works well for me. I'm sure the wet cleaning method works in the hands of those who are skilled at doing it, but wet cleaning (probably unneccesarily) worries me a little. Using these brushes with the method in the link is a piece of cake.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 11-18-2011 at 11:08 AM.
11-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! This sounds like material for the article section...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I have been searching for a faster method of safely cleaning the sensor of my K-x. I've just now put one on order and will try it out soon.
Thanks for posting this thread!
Edith
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Has anyone else tried this brush method?

10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be checking this out - thanks!
10-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

a variety of high quality brushes can be had at any artist supply store. I've used a sable brush when dry cleaning the sensor for years. Laboratory grade "q-tips" for wet cleaning.....

Your milage may vary, but I've never had a problem.

regards,
Mark
10-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a pair of these quite a while ago. I thought the standard sequence to try was:

1. blower

2. brush

3. wet cleaning with pad

I never needed to go past #2 on the K200, but the K100 did require #3 a few times.

One of these years I'm going to find that 2nd brush that came in the package. I put it away somewhere it would be safe...

Paul
10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Has anyone else tried this brush method?
I've went to an artist shop and bought a cheap brush (~$5).

Usually my rocket blower does the job; if it doesn't I use the brush and it has served me very well.

Make sure you read the "Pixel Sweeper" article before you buy / use a brush though.

P.S.: I have a very low number of tiny spots that I cannot remove with even the brush. They've been there since day one. However, they are so tiny and faint that they only show up with extreme settings (f/45) and extreme post processing (increasing contrast and cranking up sharpness). Someone may want to wet clean these away, but they just don't pose anywhere near a problem for me in practice.

10-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I've went to an artist shop and bought a cheap brush (~$5).
That's an option. You just have to be very sure there's no "sizing" (chemical treatment to keep the bristles in shape during shipping) on the bristles. And that can be tough to do. You can clean the sizing agent out of the brush, but I personally would rather just buy the CleanSkies brushes for about $6 each from eBay & not have to worry about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have a very low number of tiny spots that I cannot remove with even the brush. They've been there since day one. However, they are so tiny and faint that they only show up with extreme settings (f/45) and extreme post processing (increasing contrast and cranking up sharpness). Someone may want to wet clean these away, but they just don't pose anywhere near a problem for me in practice.
Yeah, I'm with you. If you have to work hard to make a speck show up, it's not worth getting wound up over. Especially since you'll get more specks soon enough anyway & need to clean it again. You can drive yourself nuts trying to get it absolutely perfect.

That said, for cleaning more stubborn spots, a Sensorklear cleaning pen usually does the job, followed up by the brush. The pen does have a tendency to leave specks on the sensor, so it's important to clean it afterwards with the brush to get the pen grubbies off.
10-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter

If you use the brush do you have to clean and charge the bristles after each pass along the sensor?
10-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you use the brush do you have to clean and charge the bristles after each pass along the sensor?
Yes. But in theory you shouldn't need more than one pass.

If you DON'T clean and charge after EACH pass, you are just as likely to redeposit on the sensor what you picked up on the last pass - or even if you don't redeposit grit, dragging it across your sensor could add microscopic scratches.
10-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Do you actually touch the brush to the sensor? If so, is it just a light touch?
10-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you actually touch the brush to the sensor? If so, is it just a light touch?
I do. Gently, but enough pressure to bend the bristles slightly, and that's about it. Knock the dust out of the bristles afterward on a clean knife edge. (I use a plastic disposable butter knife for this, which I keep with the brush) and then blow the brush out with either a rocket blower or canned air. (a large rocket blower works just as well as canned air, in my experience.) Keep the brush in a ziplock bag to keep it clean. Easy.